Author Topic: New kid on the block  (Read 7912 times)

bugsoli

• BugsOli's xRM Blog
  • Mustang: 1968 Coupe
  • Daily driver: BMW X1 2010
New kid on the block
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
Hello guys (and girls!)

My name is Olivier and I come from Belgium, a country with no gov't yet :P
For my 29th b'day (2009), I've bought a 1968 Mustang Coupe which is my first Mustang!

I've been dreaming about having a Stang and my dream came true when I bought this one, although I would prefer a Fastback (my next move!)

I drove a little over 100 miles with it and then decided that it needed a new paint: bad idea >:( !!!!!!!
Under the paint was a complete mess, and besides that, it needed a new engine so for the moment I keep spending money without having the benefits of having a cool car.

Anyway, I hope to rebuild it for July, the month of my 31st b'day!

Here are some pics for you to enjoy, I'll keep posting whenever there is an update; you'll see that as soon as I have begun the stripping, some bad stuff came out like: rear 1/4 panels, right rear framerail, floor boards, etc.
This car is too much work but now it is finally sandblasted and in epoxy primer...next step is weld the remaining little stuff that appeared after sandblasting and then paint!

See you soon 8)

Joe AZ 2 PA

Re: New kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »
Welcome to the "block". Nice progress on the car, good luck. What motor are you running and any upgrades? . . . . .  8)

bugsoli

• BugsOli's xRM Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:40 AM »
Hello Joe and thank you!
Well, for the upgrades, here is the list :)
Engine:
I bought another 289 block (since mine was broken) that has been rebored and controlled.
It has new pistons and an Edelbrock Performer cam; for this engine, I plan on buying a pair of Edelbrock Performer heads (#60229) since I already have the Performer intake and carb from my previous engine.
The rest will be pretty much stock, except the oil pump which will be replaced by a high performance one.
Trans:
I'll keep the original C4 tranny, which will be rebuilt with new bands, etc.
Suspension:
For the front-end, I'm going to rebuild it with some Grab-a-Track parts from M+ and I think I'll go with some 4.5 leaf GaT mid-eye rear leaf spring.
I already bought the KYB Gas-a-Just shocks so I'm just waiting to get hold on a pair of short front springs.
Interior:
I already bought the complete interior kit from CJPP, in dark red (or maroon for 68).
Fuel:
I plan on buying a 22 gallons fuel tank for added capacity ;D
Electricity:
A complete kit from American Autowire is what I want!

That pretty much sums up everything, I'll keep posting when there is an update!

Oh yeah, and for the record, the original color was Seafoam Green with Ivy Gold interior but the car has been repainted in red -> I'm planning on painting the car in Sterling Gray, I think it'll be a good match with the dark red interior

TheJ

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 1993 Dodge Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  That is going to be a very nice mustang when its finished especially with all of the upgrades you have and want.  For that high performance oil pump are you going to get a bigger oil pan?  (I assume that high performance means high volume)

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:03 PM »
Oh yeah, and for the record, the original color was Seafoam Green with Ivy Gold interior but the car has been repainted in red -> I'm planning on painting the car in Sterling Gray, I think it'll be a good match with the dark red interior
[/quote]

Good plan to match up parts from the same manufacture as much as possible. Saves a lot of finger pointing when things go bump in the night. Are you planning any Le Mans strips or staying one solid color? Stirling Gary is a good pick. . .  8)

stanginator

• Mustang: 2006 GT premium
  • Daily driver: 2006 GT premium
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
Looks like you did a lot of work looks real good.

bugsoli

• BugsOli's xRM Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:05:06 AM »
Thanks stanginator!

Today I received some pictures from a friend who is restoring my driver door, which was in a very bad shape (just look at the pictures  :o)

He did an awesome job IMO, what do you think?

stanginator

• Mustang: 2006 GT premium
  • Daily driver: 2006 GT premium
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »
He did a nice job patching the corner it looks like he knows his stuff.

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
He does nice work. Did he spray the inside with any type of rust inhibitor? I have to get one new door and repair one during my redo. . . .  8)

bugsoli

• BugsOli's xRM Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:09:23 AM »
Hi Joe,

Thanks, he did in fact spray some rust inhibitor inside the door but I'll have to put some wax inside to keep it from rusting.

As for the restoration, I've managed to paint FINALLY the underside thanks to a rotisserie I've borrowed from a fellow member of the club I'm in:

This has been painted with 2 coats of KBS RustSeal (glossy black), that I buy here in the Netherlands.

Next step: the engine compartment with the same glossy black!

In parralel, one of my friend is rebuilding my rear axle:

However, I have a problem with one of the drums' backing plate: it is completely off because it's bent so I'm in need of a good spare part, if anyone has one (it's the passenger side, for a standard 8" axle with 10" drum brakes):

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1967 convertible
  • Daily driver: 2011 Chev Silverado Dura Max 4X4
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 01:03:36 AM »
Hey Oliver,

Nice work on your Mustang, You had a huge project on your hands and it's nice to see the progress. Are there a lot of American classics in Belgium?  do you belong to a car club there?

Good luck and welcome to the site, It will be nice to see some pictures when it is done.

Jeff

k3rwhite

• Website Architecture
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
Website Architecture

welcome to the team

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring