Author Topic: New here.  (Read 2827 times)

DMGrier

• Mustang: 98 Mustang GT
New here.
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »
Hey guys, Names Devon. I am currently stationed in Washington living in Port Orchard. Bought a 98 GT last year and since I have owned it I have put 6,000 miles this year on it. In the next few weeks I will be putting new tires on it. It runs great the only issue with it is  squeals.  I checked the belt and it is in good condition with plenty of tension. If you are standing in front of it, it is coming from the left side of the motor. I have replaced my tensioner pulley, idler pulley and it still does it so all that is left is the pulley for my ac. But other than that the stang is running good. Big Ford fan.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: New here.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
First of all, welcome to the site.  Pull up a chair and stay for awhile.  Can you decifer if the squeal is coming from the belt itself, or maybe from one of the pulleys?  If it squeals most of the time then it is a pulley.  If it only squeals when you crank her up and goose it, then it would be the belt.  You can buy a belt dressing in a spray can at just about any auto parts store.  Get a can of that, start the engine , then stand back and spray the underside of the belt.  That will stop it if it is the belt.  If it is a pulley, then most likely the bearing in the pulley has gone south and the pulley needs to be replaced.  Let us know. 

DMGrier

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, I don't think it's the belt but I will try would you said with that can. I just don't think it's a belt cause my wife use to have a civic and I remember when the belt went out on that it would squeal when it first turned on then it would get better as it warmed up. Mine is a constant squeal, some days are better than others. The weird thing is auto zone said they don't carry a ac pulley for my car, They said it's either the clutch for the unit or my compressor.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »
Nah, don't waste your money on the belt dressing  if it is the AC clutch/pulley.  That is a part you may have to get directly from a Ford house in the parts department.  They  may even have to order it for you.  Fortunately, it doesn't require you open up the system, so it is a fairly easy installation. 

DMGrier

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:51:06 AM »
Thanks, I will have to do some reading on the replacing a ac clutch, never have attempted something like that. Thanks guys.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
Before you do that, get a large screwdriver and turn the AC on.  Put the business end of the screwdriver on the compressor and the handle end next to your ear.  That acts as a stethoscope so you can hear what is going on inside the part.  If you are sure it is actually the AC clutch, then here is an article that will guide you through the removal and installation.  Good luck with, and let us know. 
http://www.bernardembden.com/xjs/comclutch/index.htm

DMGrier

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:23 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, I will let you know when I know but with a new born in the house god knows when I will have the time.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version