Author Topic: Marti report  (Read 10317 times)

aussie

Marti report
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:27:18 AM »
Hi from Queensland Australia,

My husband and I have just purchased an original 1965 GT Mustang Convertible and would like to get a Marti Report done (can only find them being done from 1967).  Is this correct or could someone please advise email address/telephone no. of where to go.

Thanks again from the land downunder

Margie

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: Marti report
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 06:50:37 AM »
 Welcome to the site Margie. I am afraid you can't get a Marti report for your Mustang as they are only available for 1967 to 1973 Mustangs.
 Here is their website with a list of vehicles:
http://martiauto.com/eminger.htm

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
Yeah, Thierry is right.   Ford threw away all the paperwork away for the 65-66 models, so even Kevin Marti can't decifer your numbers.  Decode your VIN to see if what is on the VIN is actually what you have, and remember that there are no numbers matching 65 or 66 Mustangs because Ford did not put the VIN on the engine and transmission back then. 

aussie

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 04:48:05 PM »
Thank you Thiery and Soaring for replying to my request - we are only new to Mustangs (already have a Hot Rod) so any info is great.  We have checked the Vin number and it matches with what we have.  Our car is fully restored with RHD for Australia so is just wonderful.  Sure is great to drive with the roof down.

Regards

Margie

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »
 There is no real number matching Mustangs for that period but they can be called "number matching" if the serial numbers from the transmission and engine gives you a date for at most 2 weeks earlier than the one from the VIN. If it's the case, your car will have more value.
 Do you have any photo of your Mustang and hotrod? RHD Mustangs must be rare, how was it done?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 03:54:51 AM »
Thierry,
There was (or maybe still is) a shop (factory) in Aussie that specialized in changing from left to right hand drive cars that came from Europe and America.  I lived in Japan for 9 years and had several right hand drive cars.  It takes a few weeks to get used to it, but once you do, it makes more sense than driving on the right side of the road. 

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
 Yes I heard about some classic Mustangs converted to right hand drive but I wonder how many where made.
There is also a kit available for the new Mustang in the UK. The kit is not cheap but nothing will stop the Mustang to spread around the globe  :)
http://www.right-hand-drive.co.uk/05_mustang.htm

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 03:18:09 PM »
Another one from 'down under', welcome.
The best source of information for your car is the 'Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1' by Jim Haskell and Jim Smart. It has rough statistics as to paint vs interior, engines, destinations but no direct assembly line info. The bad news is the book is out of print but available on e-bay or www.abebooks.com (sometimes). There are a couple of exceptions to VIN's on components, notable the High Performance engines and transmissions. The VIN is in four places on a 64 to 66 Mustang, two on the left hand fender apron (one visible and one hidden just in front of the hinge covered by the fender), one on the right hand side in front of the hinge also hidden by the fender and the door data tag which may be removed or if the door is replaced, incorrect.
Converting to right hand drive (now no longer manditory down there if you don't modify the car) was made easy as the Australian Falcon's steering and drive components bolt right in but you still need to slice the dash in half and switch the instrument cluster and glove box. Sorry, but there is no way I can shift left handed. I tried to do it on a 64 VW and went back to left hand driving cars on right hand roads.
Jim

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »
Jim,
Like I said, I owned and drove right hand cars in Japan for a number of years.  Some were automatic, and some were manual.  When you first experience driving one, it seems really weird, but after a few weeks it becomes second nature just like shifting with your right hand.  When I would come home during the summer, I had to learn to drive on the right side of the road all over again.   ;D

aussie

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

The info given is much appreciated.  We will look for these numbers over Easter break and will let you know.  Also will look for that book on Ebay.

We will have to get some photos and do a post of both cars.  Love them to bits.

There are plenty of people in Australia that do the conversions Left to Right but it is now not compulsory to do this if the car is over 30 years old.  It makes more sense for us to have right hand side cars but there are now a terrible lot of your left hand side cars getting around.  I once drove on the wrong side of the road while in Monteray.  No cars in front of me and just went to the wrong side (really all countries should be the same) and couldnt work out why everyone was staring but soon found out when a car came straight for me.

We had been invited to join a group in August to tour Route 66 (in new mustangs) but cannot get away from our business.  We hope to go to USA again next year (Nashville, Memphis, etc) so hopefully one day will be able to meet some of you mustang owners.

Regards

Margie

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 06:50:21 PM »
When you plan your trip through the U.S., be sure to include coming to Texas and visit us.  Remember, we still ride horses and carry guns on our hips while riding our Mustangs.   ;D

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version