Author Topic: History help  (Read 1804 times)

trent86

• Mustang: 1965 Coupe
  • Daily driver: Jeep wrangler 2006
History help
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
Hi new to this site and have just (five weeks ago) aquired a 1965 Mustang coupe from Arizona. would love to get some history and find out previous owners etc but since you have a different system to ours in the UK am not sure where to start.
Any suggestions on next step to get background on my car would be great

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: History help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
Welcome to the site.  One thing you can do is to decifer the VIN.  Get the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) off the plate attached to the door, then use this decoder to break it down.  It will tell you a lot of information about your car as it came from the factory. 
http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

I posted this history of the Mustang video a few days ago.  Take a look and learn. 
http://www.mustangv8.com/forum/mustang-discussions/history-of-the-mustang/

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:58:52 PM »
Welcome. There is little information available as to previous ownership available. It's a combination of privacy laws and of an inept bureaucracy. The party that you got the car from would be a starting place but that is obvious. No computerized records exist for Fords built before 1967 as Ford decided to not spend the time or money doing that, although assembly line data and the original order info is available for 1967 on. As Glen refered to, look at the drivers door data tag. If it's not there (that happens a lot), your VIN is stamped into the fender apron in several places, and you should have it on the bill of sale. 
Jim

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »
Yeah, it would be hard to find the original owner, unless it is a one owner car, but I doubt that it is. Like Jim said, if the VIN data plate is missing, then check the inner fender on the driver's side.  It's stamped there in a cut-out of the fender.  Here is where to look.  But, you have to realize that these old Mustangs have been modified over the years  by previous owners, so there is no telling what you have.  As Jim mentioned, there are no written records before 1967 as recorded by Marti.  You are just going to have to accept what you have.  If you give us some pictures and descriptions of what you have, we can pretty much narrow it down. 

trent86

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:52:54 AM »
Thanks for the help, I have kinda figured out the Vin# bits and have also as suggested written to the last owner (who if the info I found is accurate is in his eighties!!!!) I am guessing it may have been son or grandson of registed owner who sorted out the sale. There does not appear to have been any modifactions as far as I can tell so all I am trying to do is get previous owners history. Its much easier here in the UK to get previous owners so I will be patient and hope the last owner will get back to me.
Thanks again guys

trent86

Re: Reproduction Hand Books
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:07:32 AM »
Just found a great site for a bunch of Mustang bits including an excellent reproduction owners manual, not sure if they post to the US waiting for them to let me know. Site is: mustangbooks.com
Ordered the owners manual yesterday and got it today, proved really useful with basic stuff as well as just being interesting to read.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
Some of those books are quite useful.  Glad you found it.  Where in the UK do you live? 

trent86

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
Hi,
This book certainly has been a lot of help with some bits I have puzzled over. I live in Essex about 30miles from London

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 11:30:23 AM »
Not to discourage you, but I've found no single book covers everything. My "Mustang" library has about 110 books (maybe more) in it and I still find myself looking for information. The best source is right here, in a forum, on the net. The net's resources far exceed my library.
And, my next door neighbors are from Wales (via Australia). They've been in the US of A for about 50 years. Ken was one hell of a Deisel mechanic.
Jim

muncher

• Mustang: 1967 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: V8 Explorer ltd. 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:44:42 AM »
Hello from an ex brit now living in NZ. I tried to get as much history on my Mustang when i had it shipped over from California. As others have said not easy to do. Just keep a record of what you do from now on i suppose. 
I am new on here. The info and advise i have recieved has been priceless.
Did you have much of a problem getting your Mustang reg for UK roads? Here in NZ it is not quite so straight forward. If all is not original they will require all sorts of specs on the mods and of coarse extra fees to be paid. Even the carpets are pulled up to check seatbelt anchor points etc. You can only take the car to certain testing stations and they need it for a day!!
Mine goes in for its compliance check next week. Not looking forward to it. :(
Goodluck with your search.

trent86

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:51:03 AM »
Hi,
Many thanks I have at least got the original Arizona title for the car which gives me at least the last two US owners and its begining to look as if I may have to settle for that. No problems registerig  in the UK as long as yoyu have proof of build date and vin details then its just an mot, which altho getting tougher all the time is not too hard on older vehicles. I understand the whole process is extremly unpleasant in Malta where they all but pull the car apart and fit new vin tags! mind you NZ doesnt sound much fun either :(

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »
You would have to have a real love of Mustangs to go through all that paperwork BS.  But, in the end, I suppose you would have a head turner and a powerful American Icon.  Something to be proud of no matter what part of the world you live in. 

muncher

• Mustang: 1967 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: V8 Explorer ltd. 2006
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
The paperwork and all the crap that goes with it is mainly a money spinning excersize over here. If you get a real jobs worth inspecting your car then your in for it. Every little detail is inspected. Like if you have a stray strand of cotton coming off your seat belt then they all have to be replaced!!!! Had that happen to a mate. Not easy to reg an import over here  :(
On the up side there are some great roads to cruise and will definetly be worth the aggro.
Mine goes in for inspection soon. Gonna drop it off smile and leave them to it.
Reminds me of how nervous i was when my first child was born  :)

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version