Author Topic: hello mustang owners  (Read 4481 times)

rrj76

• Mustang: 1972 Mach 1 mustang with 351 cj
hello mustang owners
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
HelloI am from minnesota just joined the site. I c alot of nice rides here. I own a 72 mach 1 with a 351 cobra jet had a marti report done. I just got done with the drivetrain now for her looks. came here to get some ideas and some info. looking forward to this site
 thanks  RRJ76[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5][=1]

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: hello mustang owners
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
That's a good looking Mach1.  Very clean.  The only improvement I can see would get the pebble damage fixed on the front of the hood.  If you are from Minnesota, that car was garaged during the winters. No rust damage that is visible. 

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:37:02 AM »
welcome pretty good looking car :)

but i have one question to ask. do you have air shocks in the rear?? if so immediately remove them and throw them away they will damage your floor pan in the rear of the car.
if you want it to sit like that make sure to buy some springs to do so.

just ask me how i know about the air shocks :P

rrj76

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »
 Yes I do have airshock in rear,interested to hear more about damage to floor pan what do I look for. They have been on car since I bought it in 98 I have only put about 5,500 since that time. I am tring to bring car back to original. I have to find rims,tires any info on that also would be grate.There is rust started in spots. I will be bringing car in for complete redo in 2 years. Nice to meet u rmodel65 and soaring. I have spent most time under cars and repairing sewer very new to a computer please excuse my typing . thanks ryan 

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
rrj76, all you have to do is take the air shocks off and replace them with KYB shocks.  Just go to an Autozone or whatever and get a set of KYB shocks.  They are stiffer than standard shocks but not by much.  If you air up those air shocks and hit a big bump, you run the risk of poking a hole in the top portion of where the shocks bolt on.  That metal is not very thick, so take those air shocks off and replace them with KYB's. 

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 03:51:11 AM »
yeah a shock is not designed to carry any of a vehicle weight what so ever. it is only there to control your suspension bounce. the weight is carried in the springs

some people run an air shock on trucks and its still not a good practice but with a real frame there is normally no real damage.

my floor pan failed on the left hand side, and with those big meats out back if it fails your gonna tear up the tires and the quarters panels some due to physical contact. just count your blessing it hasnt happened.

what kinda of rims are you looking for??

Glen(soaring) has complied a great FAQ section http://www.mustangv8.com/forum/classic-mustang-technical-forum/classic-mustang-faq/

there is a wheel and tire fitment guide in there iirc its located at www.dodgestang.com iirc(if i recall correctly) so about the internet jargon, if we uses anything abbreviation that you dont know, dont hesitate to ask what it means(i learn new ones every day :P )

stephen

rrj76

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »
well thought about what guys have said today and ur right just got car moved into spot will be geetting rid of those shocks this weekend i have done alot of work on cars not much time on rear axels mostly engine and tranny. any hints ? this site is already paying off. I have brought car in to many people around minnesota no one said nothing, but bumps were hard even small one I just thought it was the car. again thanks alot
 would like to find originall rims for the 72 mach 1.

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »
i assume you want Magnum 500s, but standard wheels with the corporate hubcaps and trim rings were used also. to know for sure you would need a vin report from mr. marti

magnum 500s are here: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/SubCat.asp?PageLen=20&PageNo=2&Category=Wheels+%26+Brakes&Keywords=wheels&subCategory=Wheels&CatKey=EMUSTANG

the shock removal is easy 2 bolts on each shock on on the top(you access through the trunk(or interior if you have the foldown seat) and the bottom of the shock then you just compress it with your hands and pull it out

rrj76

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
finding actual rims for car? I just dug out marti report I also have the original Bill of sale, waranty card, etc. where should i look for the information on the rims?

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:44 PM »
there are different levels if marti reports, i have a 65 so ive never bought one. but the the rims ought to be listed there somewhere

rrj76

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »
hello all. This winter is starting to get long. Well I was tring to get car into her spot then we got snow no it is stuck in parents garage they were not happy but understand.I have been hoping for warm weather but no go and I have been busy with work.How have u guy and gals been.I cant wait to get the shocks in so I can get on to the next issues and get some good info from this site. U all seem to know what u are talking about. Do u have any projects going on would love to hear about them. thanks

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
With Stephen, Jim and me, we can answer any question you may have about your car.  We three own 65's and 66's, but can help you with your car.  I don't have any projects right now.  I would like to get my heater motor switch going again, but it is just too cold out in the garage for this old man.  That'll have to wait until Spring.  Stephen can't do anything right now because he shot himself in the leg, and Jim is a wino.errr....wine conniseur.   ;D

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version