Author Topic: 88 4cyl engine swap  (Read 41580 times)

michael

88 4cyl engine swap
« on: August 29, 2005, 08:55:36 PM »
i have a 88 mustang with the 2.3l 5 speed. i am swaping the 2.3 for a 302. my question is that i am going to also convert it to carb, what all will i need to do to it to make this work (example: fuel,emmisions, drivetrain)? this car will be used as an everyday driver and also a street strip beast. i just need the emissions for right now to pass e-check after that i plan on taking it off, so i need a removable system is there such a thing? any comments would be appreciated!!

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: 88 4cyl engine swap
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 01:26:33 PM »
I have found an article explaining this kind of conversion but it might be cheaper for you to sell your 4 cylinder car and buy an original V8 Mustang. You will also never get the same value with a modified 4 cyl than with a V8 Mustang if you sell it in the future.
V8 conversion

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »
honestly one of the best ways to go about this swap would be to pick up a complete v8 car. swap all the v8 stuff install a carb, intake etc if it was a fuelie motor and fire it up imho you can do the swap for less than 1k

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »
It doesn't matter if you are going from a 65 I6 to a V8 or from an 80 something 4 or 6 to a V8, the engine is not your problem with the switch.  It's the chassis and all the other components involved to make it a V8 car.  Start with a V8 car and chassis to begin with. 

Bossnutt

• My Mustang Site
  • Mustang: 1985 Project car
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:28:05 PM »
Sounds to me that you already have the 4cyl car and are wanting to turn it into a v-8 car.  It's really not that hard.  Xnutt has done it a couple of times for some friends of his, I'll have him come on here and explain exactly what you need to do without having to get a v-8 car!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »
Going from a 6 banger to an 8 cylinder requires changing out the front suspension, the transmission and the rear end.  Going from a 4 banger would require the same conversion components.  For an 80's something 4 banger Mustang that had dam near zero power, ( I know first hand, because I put that 4 banger in a 1929 Mercedes kit car that I assembled) the entire running chassis needs to be replaced to attain a decent running Mustang.  Now, do you want to go through all that trouble and expense, or would it be less trouble to sell that POS 4 banger, and buy a V8 model to begin with, and just overhaul/upgrade the existing components? 
>>>>>I'll have him come on here and explain exactly what you need to do without having to get a v-8 car! <<<<<
Bring him on....

Bossnutt

• My Mustang Site
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:42:46 AM »
>>>>>I'll have him come on here and explain exactly what you need to do without having to get a v-8 car! <<<<<
Bring him on....

What's that supposed to mean?  There is no need in being rude.  All I'm saying is it's not that hard.  He's done tons of them, because of people rather enjoy building cars instead of buying them built. 

xnutt

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »
Going from a 6 banger to an 8 cylinder requires changing out the front suspension, the transmission and the rear end.  Going from a 4 banger would require the same conversion components.  For an 80's something 4 banger Mustang that had dam near zero power, ( I know first hand, because I put that 4 banger in a 1929 Mercedes kit car that I assembled) the entire running chassis needs to be replaced to attain a decent running Mustang.  Now, do you want to go through all that trouble and expense, or would it be less trouble to sell that POS 4 banger, and buy a V8 model to begin with, and just overhaul/upgrade the existing components? 
Bring him on....

bring me on ??? ok i'm not going to get into a pissing contest.i'll just put it like this.

i've been turning wrenche's since i was 5 and buying cars and building the since i was 15. i come from a family of gearheads.

the "chassis" as you put it are the same unless it's the early model fox with the i6 then you have to change the k member as well. in this case it's newer so no worries about that. the susp. and brake's are different. but what would i know i've only owned 52 "fox bodies",2 69 mach1's(which i still have 1 back home),a 69 coupe grande (rare bench seat model) and god only knows how many mustang II's (yeah i've had ton).all this and not to mention the guy who has my mach1 at his place has 33 acres with mainly nothing but stangs on the property that he has built for years

i've done this swap so many time's i can do it in my sleep.

now back to the subject at hand.....
micheal if you would like to know about this there are a couple of things that needs to be figured out first. first what are you planning on doing with this car (i.e.street/strip car or just a driver) ?

sorry to highjack the thread !!!!

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:12:24 AM »
 I don't think Soaring had the intention to be rude. He has a different opinion on the subject and he was probably interested to debate about it with Xnutt. I can imagine him saying "bring him on" with a smile  ;D
 Michael only made one post and that was over 2 years ago, I don't think he will reply to you Xnutt. If you want to explain how to do the conversion for a street use, bring it on   :D :D

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
Yeah, I doubt that Michael will answer since this question was asked about 3 years ago.  ;D And, I didn't mean to sound rude either.  It's just that going from a 2.3 liter 1988 Mustang to a 302 requires a little more than changing out the engine.  We all know that, so let's not argue about the obvious.  The running chassis includes everything under the car that makes it go down the road.  That includes the engine, transmission, rear end and brake system.  That all would have to be upgraded to the V8 version to make the change viable.  If you don't make that change, you are not doing it right.  If all you do is change out the engine and motor mounts, you are just a shade tree mechanic. 

xnutt

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
Yeah, I doubt that Michael will answer since this question was asked about 3 years ago.  ;D And, I didn't mean to sound rude either.  It's just that going from a 2.3 liter 1988 Mustang to a 302 requires a little more than changing out the engine.  We all know that, so let's not argue about the obvious.  The running chassis includes everything under the car that makes it go down the road.  That includes the engine, transmission, rear end and brake system.  That all would have to be upgraded to the V8 version to make the change viable.  If you don't make that change, you are not doing it right.  If all you do is change out the engine and motor mounts, you are just a shade tree mechanic. 

my apologies.

i agree with the brakes and such. more weight and speed mean more braking is needed for proper stopping.

alot of people don't understand that in order to go carbed you need to either change gas tanks or go aftermarket fuel system i.e. fuel pump and sumped tank as the F.I. tank is different. there are several little things that need done depending on which way the build is being done.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
No need for an apology at all.  I guess I should have told your wife to have you post your expert advise in how the conversion would be accomplished, but for brevity's sake, I said "Bring him on."  It was not meant to be a challenge.  Dam, the written English language is hard to decifer at times.  Sorry Bro....
Now, getting back to the conversion.  If you already own a 2.3 4 banger 88 model Mustang, and you want to make it a V8, what exactly do you recommend that you take out and replace.  This is not a trap.  Just run it down for us so I can include that in the FAQ.  A written fact sheet plus pictures would be absolutely great.  Now, there is the challenge for you.   ;D I plan to do a write-up on how to change from a single bowl MC on an early Mustang to a dual bowl in the next few weeks.  I am in the actual process of doing that physical change right now. 

xnutt

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »
No need for an apology at all.  I guess I should have told your wife to have you post your expert advise in how the conversion would be accomplished, but for brevity's sake, I said "Bring him on."  It was not meant to be a challenge.  Dam, the written English language is hard to decifer at times.  Sorry Bro....
Now, getting back to the conversion.  If you already own a 2.3 4 banger 88 model Mustang, and you want to make it a V8, what exactly do you recommend that you take out and replace.  This is not a trap.  Just run it down for us so I can include that in the FAQ.  A written fact sheet plus pictures would be absolutely great.  Now, there is the challenge for you.   ;D I plan to do a write-up on how to change from a single bowl MC on an early Mustang to a dual bowl in the next few weeks.  I am in the actual process of doing that physical change right now. 

yeah that's a challenge lol. i can do the pics more towards spring/slummer (5 degrees  is a little cold out). i'm doing one for a guy now (92 4 banger auto lx). the engine is already out so a little of the work as been done.

i'll try to do a write up on the swap tomorrow from start to finish.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »
Good deal Lucille.  I am waiting with baited breath to read the write-up. I am sure it will go into the FAQ. 

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
The engine swap process has been asked many times here and a write up with photos would be a great idea. And maybe I could use the info to turn my V6  Firebird into a V8 Trans Am  ;D

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »
I'm guessing here, but I wouldn't think the same components would apply with your Firebird V6 to V8 conversion.  Maybe we can do some research to see what it takes to go from a v6 to a v8 Firebird. 
On Edit:  I came up with this link Thierry.  Not sure what year your bird is, but this ought to be enough information to get you to thinking if you want to make the change or not.  BTW, most of the guys on those Firebird sites advise against it.  They say sell the V6 and get a V8 car to begin with.  Pretty much what Jim, Steve and I are saying.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/engine-swap/229665-v6-v8-swap-read.html

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 09:14:24 AM »
 Yes, I think the only way to do this kind of swap on a Mustang or other vehicle is to find a donor one. It's a big job but it can be done. If you want to buy all the parts separately it will cost you an arm and a leg unless you have connections. Thanks for the link Soaring. I knew the website but never saw this page before :)

Bossnutt

• My Mustang Site
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »
Please see my post on the mod board.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »
 I have seen it and thank you for the write up Xnutt is planing to do. See you in a few weeks when you will be back among us  ;)

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 12:20:20 AM »

my apologies.

i agree with the brakes and such. more weight and speed mean more braking is needed for proper stopping.

alot of people don't understand that in order to go carbed you need to either change gas tanks or go aftermarket fuel system i.e. fuel pump and sumped tank as the F.I. tank is different. there are several little things that need done depending on which way the build is being done.

well to go carb you can just remove the pump and put a hose on the end of the pick up instead:P for the price of about 1$ then add an electric carb pump or a mechanical pump if your timing cover has the provision
as fopr suspension id definitely do the front brakes to at least 87-93 spec but nothing else suspension wise really needs to be changed the 7.5 will live for a while(came stock behind the v8 till 86) and the front springs can be reused they will lower the car about 1 inch(free mod :) ) but an 8.8 with trac loc is an upgrade

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version