Author Topic: My First Car a Mustang  (Read 11449 times)

Taskum

• Mustang: 1986 Mustang Lx Hatchback
  • Daily driver: 1986 Hatchback LX
Re: My First Car a Mustang
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 09:42:12 PM »
Oh and thank you all for your posts and helping me through with my car ^^

mustangluver

• Mustang: 66 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: 2008 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
Thats what we are here for to help each other with one anothers cars.  :)

mustangluver

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't colant lines go to the tranny as well?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »
Yes.  If it is an automatic transmission, you have coolant lines to and from the tranny. 

mustangluver

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »
I ask cuz after every possible solution outside
of  replacing the whole damn cooling system or draining the block radiator and lines the darn thing still wAnts to overheat. When I flushed the radiator last I could see signs of rust n corrosion floatin around. Not sure if when the block was replaced that all of the old stuff was removed. Could I pull the block have it looked at, flush the radiator n all the cooling lines? Also on a unrelated topic, anyone here ever have their floor replaced? N when I was looking at my carpet I noticed that the current is evidentally glued or something to my original carpet. But that what happens when the interior is done in tiajuana. Apology to anyone that I offended.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »
I ask cuz after every possible solution outside
of  replacing the whole damn cooling system or draining the block radiator and lines the darn thing still wAnts to overheat. When I flushed the radiator last I could see signs of rust n corrosion floatin around. Not sure if when the block was replaced that all of the old stuff was removed. Could I pull the block have it looked at, flush the radiator n all the cooling lines? Also on a unrelated topic, anyone here ever have their floor replaced? N when I was looking at my carpet I noticed that the current is evidentally glued or something to my original carpet. But that what happens when the interior is done in tiajuana. Apology to anyone that I offended.
When you flushed the radiator, did you also flush the block and the heater core?  It's important that you do that to get all that crud out of the system.  If you need to know how to do that, let us know.  As far as replacing your floor pans, that is is a costly and time consuming job.  If your pans are not rusted out, you don't need to replace them, just POR 15 the hell out of them and put in new carpet if your current carpet is bad.

mustangluver

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »
I know how to drain the block n heater core but I don't always have the time do do so. :( unless you know a way of doin it other than lettin it go from block to radiator and then out of the radiator little bit at a time. How long would that take btw? also shouldn't I drain the trannys cooling lines as well? On the floor pans, there were patch jobs done but now the patches are serparating. One shop told me 3k for the whole floor. Also could I get away w doing paint?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
As far as flushing the whole system, go get a  "T" at the store and put it in your heater hose.  You will find them in the Anti-freeze section.  They are usually yellow and made by Prestone. Take out the thermostat and put the cap back on.   Hook up the garden hose and turn it on with the hose screwed into that "T"  and with the engine running and the cock opened at the bottom of the radiator.   Turn on the heater full blast.  Don't use any acid or anything but plain water and  when the water runs clear out the cock, you are finished.  Let the system drain, then shut off the cock and add a 50/50 mixture of coolant/water.  You won't need to drain the lines going to the transmission because there isn't very much in there.  Here's a pic of my rad hoses.  I take the "T" out, but you can leave it in and just screw the cap on it that comes with the kit. 

mustangluver

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
but if i wanted to drain the tranny lines how would i do so?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:14 AM »
Just take off the tranny line from the transmission and let it drip with the engine off.   

Taskum

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 11:00:56 AM »
Hey guys i'm back the overheating problem was sort-of solved when we put clamps on a silverish looking hose looked like a hose ur dryer has behind it...anyway the only thing wrong with it now is that possible tranny problem..my car has an Automatic Transmission and when i first crank it up in the morning and try to drive it i put it in Reverse and that works 100% fine but when i put it in Drive it acts like its in Neutral..But when the car is heated up a lil bit i put it into Drive and it works fine (usually ifi dont let it warm up i put it in 1 or 2 towing and it will sometimes work) i really wanna know whats happening with my car because i think its starting to get worse..

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 03:38:28 PM »
First, check the fluid level.  If it is full, then you may need to change the fluid and clean the filter.  That entails taking off the pan to not only get the old fluid out, but to get to the filter so you can clean it.   If that doesn't do it, then the bands need tightening.  Let us know if you want to learn how to do that. 

Taskum

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 08:25:21 AM »
First of all, all the things that you just stated that i might have to do how much would that be if i took it to a mechanic?
 second i would love to know how to do it myself just need to know where to look in my car and need to know what tools and parts i might need. i will try my best to take a picture of my car and put it up on this site.
third if you would like to get closer contact with me my e-mail is vtaskum@yahoo.com.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
If you have any mechanical skills at all, you can change the fluid.  Jack the car  up and put jack stands under the front and the rear.  Get it up high enough by using old pieces of lumber that will stabilize the car.  Mechanics have the lifts, but you most likely don't.  Once you get stabilized so that it is safe for you to crawl under the car, then crawl under there and look for a pan behind the oil pan that looks like the state of Utah.  (I will assume you have a C6)  You will see several bolts that hold that pan onto the bottom of the tranny.  You will need a set of sockets and ratchet to take those off, but you will also need something to catch the old fluid in so it doesn't get on your garage floor.  After the fluid gets drained, go ahead and take the pan completely off and scrape off the old gasket.  Now, you will be able to see the screen (filter).  Take that out and clean it.  Or, go buy a new one.  Using a new gasket, use some black RTV and put the whole thing back together.  Add new fluid through the tranny  dipstick tube and then see if you have it fixed.  If not, then we need to go to tightening your bands. 
If this seems complicated to you, then you best take it to a transmission mechanic. 

Taskum

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »
Ok thanks i checked all the fluids just about 20min ago and the Tranny fluid seems to be perfectly fine (i checked the oil and power steering fluid i had to put more steering fluid in it) i will probably take it to a mechanic because 1. i'm only 16 and prolly dont have enough strength to put blocks of wood under my car or jack it up. but if i can i get this done later because i'm driving my mom crazy with this car :P thanks for the info maybe someday i can do that by myself....

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
I was stronger at the age of 16 than I am now at age 66.  The only way to learn how to do something, is to do it.  That's how we all leaned.  Your high school isn't going to offer you a class in how to do this, and most likely if they did, they would screw up the lesson.  You have to be adventurous to attack 'these projects, but if you aren't, then take it  to a mechanic.  That's how they make their living. 

mustangluver

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »
some things need power tools. they make an impact wrench that runs on an outlet. and if you need the extra leverage, go to any hardware store and get at piece of metal pipe that will fit snug around the jack.

ol dirty doug

• Ol' Dirty Doug
  • Mustang: 1978 ford fairmont wagon (mustang everything)
  • Daily driver: 1978 fairmont wagon, 1927 ford roadster prostreet, and 2003 568hp subaru wrx
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »
actually you do nothave any "cooling lines" running to the tranny, you do however have transmission fluid lines running to the radiator to an internal cooler inside of the raditator. 

mustangluver

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
ok so i was flippin through one of my shop manuals and found that the block has a bolt on each side of it to drain the coolant from the block. would a edlebrock engine have that? or no? if thats the case that may just be easier.

Taskum

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
Soaring do you know how to make a 1986 3.8 Liter engine sound like a 5.0 i want a roar in my car instead of a little buzz when i crank it up and drive it around. i know i would have to take off and more than likely replace the exaust pipe. and yes i would like to know how to do this one my own.

By the way everybody wish me luck i'm going to try to get me lisence tomorrow Feb, 23rd sooo wish me luck and thank you all for your replies.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version