Author Topic: My First Car a Mustang  (Read 11651 times)

Taskum

• Mustang: 1986 Mustang Lx Hatchback
  • Daily driver: 1986 Hatchback LX
My First Car a Mustang
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »
I finally found my mustang it might not be much just yet its a 1986 Mustang Lx its a Hatchback and i can almost swear it use to be a manual tranny.. Well the thing i wanted to know was how can i make my car faster better and sound more powerful without making it a V8 engine (it is a 6 cyl 3.8 liter) plus is there a way to make it save more gas? Please help me make this little hatchback sound and feel like a real evil little monster

Victor Sifuentes
Shelby, NC

ol dirty doug

• Ol' Dirty Doug
  • Mustang: 1978 ford fairmont wagon (mustang everything)
  • Daily driver: 1978 fairmont wagon, 1927 ford roadster prostreet, and 2003 568hp subaru wrx
Re: My First Car a Mustang
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 02:20:23 AM »
WELL as far as the sound of it goes, you will not be able to make it sound like a v-8...  a v-8 fires every 180 degrees and that is where it gets its distintive note from, and a v-6 fires every 240 degrees, so it will have its own distintive tone to it.  as far as power, there is a lot, probably the easiest is forced induction if the bottom end is stout and not too worn.  i do not knoe the after market on that motor but head porting is a big hp item as well as big bore or stroker.

mustangluver

• Mustang: 66 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: 2008 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »
well, first off is it carb or fuel injection? if it carb, upgrade to 4 barrel. also go to water4gas.com. its a attatchment that you can hook up to your engine and increase your mpg by 5. my dads coworker put it on his truck n loves it. im tempted to put it on my new car more for kicks to make me even go farther on a tank of gas along with it maybe eventually going on the mustang. but also a cheap way to increase power and performance, just stay on top of the routine maintenance. if you get a shop manual. can be purchased at autozone or o'rielly. itll show the maintenance schedule for everything down to the greasing of your car hinges and various rebuilds

ol dirty doug

• Ol' Dirty Doug
  • Mustang: 1978 ford fairmont wagon (mustang everything)
  • Daily driver: 1978 fairmont wagon, 1927 ford roadster prostreet, and 2003 568hp subaru wrx
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
yo have you seen the water 4 gas hooked up on the truck???  and it really does work????????   i am going to have to check this out!

mustangluver

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
i havent seen it in action per say however theres a video i found of a guy that tested it and recorded it all
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
please note that you do have to buy the parts yourself its a manual not the actual kit. but imma get it n put it on my new car first. but the other stuff i mentioned that i know for sure will help. also every 3-6 thousand miles (depending on the brand) dump fuel system cleaner in a full tank thatll help as well. i put the store brand in my mustang n the engine runs much smoother.

Taskum

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. i'll look that 4 barrel thingy up and stuff.. This evening my brother drove my Mustang and he embrassed the HELL outta me... he also agrees with me that it use to be a Manual Tranny so i'm not sure whats gonna happen.. anyway we had a 80s mustang in front of us he had a V8 engine he revved his car and so my bro tried it....Well guess what he barely tried it and it cut off and put itself in Neutral sooo could anyone tell me what the heck happened and how i could possibly fix it? (Note: The car does sometimes cut off when i first crank it up in the morning) oh and once or twice when i put it into Drive it acted like it was in Neutral i had to put it in 2 to get it to move forward (Note: then i put it in drive and it was fine) Plz help me to be able to keep this car alive

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
That tranny needs some professional attention.  Take it to a tranny shop and have them analyze it. 
Regarding the engine dying after start-up, you need to do a tune-up, especially with the fuel induction system.  You may even wind up replacing the fuel filter and the pump.  Also, if that 86 has a MAF system then you will need to clean that and make sure the air filter is either clean or new. 

mustangluver

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »
id go to a few places first before gettin it done. the tranny work that is.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »
I would too, but the tranny needs to be analyzed by a pro. 

mustangluver

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »
i wouldnt do aamco. very expensive and when they did diagnostics on my friends tranny, the guy drove off like a bat outta hell.

Taskum

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
You guys know where i could find a pro tranny checker? and we changed the air filter a few days after i got it.

Taskum

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:45:17 PM »
By the way whats a MAF system?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
Massive Air Flow system that Ford put on their engines when they went from carburetor systems.  It is in the air induction system, and needs cleaning every year or so. 

mustangluver

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »
im goin with allstate when it comes time to do mine :) or any other work on her

Taskum

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
Hey you guys i'm back with some more problems  :'(  my 86 mustang is in trouble the temp gauge on the car is getting dangerously to HOT but i have a question is the car was really running hot wouldnt hot air be comming out of the vents? just noticed today that my throttle has NOTHING to do with the gauge jumping around is the heat (the heating system) plus the car itself is leaning to the right like the springs are outta wack (we've taken it to a mechanic and all the ever say is because my car is old x.x like that'll help)

mustangluver

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 06:02:19 PM »
the air wouldnt be coming out the vents. mine has the same issue. is the car overheating? test your coolant first (can be purchased any place antiforeeze is sold).

Taskum

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
umm lets see the gauge stays around M (which me and my mom use the) (Normal) thing to point out where the needle is and this is what the gauge looks like                                      C(NORMAL)H
and when we put the heat on (its getting very cold nowadays) if its bad it'll go to "L" and we took it to our mechanic and they changed the thermostat the preston and something else but i'll ask her if we can get someone to look into that.

Thank you for your reply

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
Whenever you turn on your heater after the car has warmed up, you should be getting heat inside the cabin.  If not, then you have a vacuum hose that has either become disconnected or rotted out and leaking.  This is to assume that the blower motor is actually blowing air from the heater box.  If the engine is heating up, then you have other issues other than the heater issue. 

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 01:34:30 AM »
Have you solved the tranny issues yet? If not i would suggest a few things before spending a lot of money at a tranny shop. Change the filter and fluid as a start. Then check the shifter linkage to make sure it is actually in P R N D etc instead of 1 off. Also check the Neutral Safety Switch to make sure that it isn't out of adjustment or bad. I didn't read the whole heating issue but you might want to try and check the thermostat and see if its bad or not.

Taskum

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »
The coolant the thermostat the hose going to the thermostat the hose going to the radiator and the radiator itself has been changed thats what my mother says sooooooooooooooooo i'm really not sure... if i can i'll try to take pictures of the car and engine and the silver tube thats hanging out and the car itself so you can get an idea what could possibly be wrong

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version