Author Topic: Me and my girl friends 1968 mustang restor project log (pics inside)  (Read 4614 times)

speedfreek500

• Mustang: 1968 coupe
We got this car in june 2010 for a pretty good deal $2300.00.I got hurt in the garage a day after that put me in the hospital for 3 months and had to learn how to walk all over again.I'am walking abit with ancle braces and still use my wheelchair in the house.Ohwell back to the car its got a 289 with a c4 trans.I have been slowly tering it apart and welding new torque boxes and both front floor pans.the rust didnt go past the front seat area and the trunk floor is mint.The hood has abit of rust and the driver side door bottom.I rebuilt the trans and the 289 already.I rebuilt the front suspension on the driver side and havent done the passanger side yet.

Konrad

• Global Moderator
  • Mustang: 2007 GT 5 speed
  • Daily driver: that is my daily driver
Re: Me and my girl friends 1968 mustang restor project log (pics inside)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
wow there's some determination, working on it from a wheelchair. Must be nice to be working on it with your girl. Sure seems to be coming along quickly. Do you have a lot of time to work on it or something?

speedfreek500

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
No i dont work on to much maybe  20-40 hours a month.Iam a red seal mechanic and did about 3 years in a body shop.Welding in a wheel chair sucks big time! you cant get around to much and the dam front wheels are small and stops me dead when i run over the extension cord lol.

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
Did you personally rebuild the C4? my understanding is that automatic trannys are not easy for most people to do anything with. You must be quite a mechanic to do all that.
Must be frustrating as hell to be in a wheel chair!
I notice you're from edmonton. Compared to some people on this forum, you're not even horribly far away. I live in the Vancouver area and I'm working the fort nelson area at the moment, so way north.

speedfreek500

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »
I can walk in short distances and i rebuilt the c4 while sitting on a chair and the trans was on the bench.I can stand up by myself for a couple minites then the bottom of my heels start to hurt.My nerves in my legs are geting better now so walking is alot faster and easier to do.Ya your not to far away from me.I had a job at suncor as a heavy duty mechanic on there equipment and it was a tough job in most cases,i almost had to use my crane on the truck every time i did a big job.Rebuilding the trans was the easy part theres a ton of info on the net if you get stuck or for get something.

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:51:17 PM »
Cool, I always got the impression that with an auto trans you "just don't go there"

I'd love to restore a car but I seriously lack the time. I go on the road for 11 days, go home for 3 and in those 3 I have to see my daughter, other family, run errands, have some fun and then I'm off again.

I enjoy doing mechanical stuff, it's kinda how my mind works. In fact I was going to go to school to learn to be an auto mechanic but changed my mind for several reasons. Oddly enough I ended up in a sales job of all things. I'll leave the cars as a hobby and focus on it more when I have more time.

speedfreek500

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:35:36 AM »
Another pic of suspension,Today i cut out the old trrque box and installed new one and frame rail section (tacked in).Tomorrow i will finish it up and paint the under side gloss black and paint in the rear wheel wells also.More pics to come.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version