Author Topic: mustang that gets 110mpg  (Read 6514 times)

racedraper

mustang that gets 110mpg
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:54:19 PM »
http://www.kctv5.com/automotive/16768626/detail.html
Doug Pelmear said he isn't toying with the engine of 1987 Ford Mustang for the money.

The engineer's tinkering, however, could earn him $10 million and save him plenty more in gas money.

Pelmear, who lives in Napoleon, Ohio, has tweaked his Mustang to get 110 mpg, making the engine nearly five times as efficient as a traditional gas engine, he told the Toledo Blade newspaper.

"We redesigned a lot of different things on the [engine] block," Pelmear told the paper. "It's still a rod-and-piston engine; it just has a lot more electronics on it."

Traditional gas engines operate at 8 to 10 percent, efficiency, while the engine on the Mustang, he said, is at 38 percent efficiency.

He said he could greatly increase even that number if his car used traditional gasoline instead of a mix of gas and 85 percent ethanol.

Pelmear entered his car to win the the $10 million Progressive Automotive X Prize: a race to find an affordable, marketable automobile that gets at least 100 miles per gallon.

"I'm an optimist, and I think people need to know there is hope out there," Pelmear told the Toledo Blade. "That's why I decided to enter the X Prize race. I could have sold this [technology] off, but then people might not have seen it.

Pelmear told television station WNWO that the car hasn't traded power for miles per gallon. Pelmear said the car has 400 horsepower, goes well over 100 mph and can go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds.

"This will bring back the automotive industry when they can sell trucks and SUVs and the models that are almost dead at this time," he told WNWO.

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
Re: mustang that gets 110mpg
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:34:36 PM »
WOW! And if you are interested, I got a lead on some bottom land South of New Orleans - real cheap.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:32 PM »
There have been stories about guys back in the 20's and 30's who had carburetors that would get 40 or 50 mpg, and that big oil bought up their carburetor in order to sell more gas.  I was never convinced those stories were true though, because during the 70's when gas was at a premium for that era, no carburetor claiming those numbers was invented, and surely the technology of the 70's was greater than the 30's. .  I also don't believe the 100+ mpg car can be produced using oil based gasoline.  I am a doubting Thomas.  Bring on the evidence. 

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
  • Mustang: 1968 Coupe
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
I believe in the possibility but I'm from the SHOW-ME state.  I want to see it in person.  There was a man on the Fox News 2 years ago that converted his gas engine to run on water (Hydrogen), but I emailed his company a few months back to see where it was at and they replied  the US Military and GM got the man under contract, so I don't expect we'll see it soon.  HHO aka Brown's gas is an old idea but most of what I've read indicates the on-board electrolysis tech just isn't there yet.  The Hydrostar is one of those systems, but I'm not willing to drop a few grand on the chance it might work.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:56:13 AM »
You have to change the water into a hydrogen based fuel which uses electricity to do that in the first place.  And currently, electricity is being mass produced using oil based fuels.  No savings there. 

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:01:13 AM »
It'd be nice to see requirements for all power plants to be environment friendly.  Most plants are coal burning and the tech for carbon sequestration exists but it's expensive and companies will only do what helps them profit.   

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
I don't buy it.  It's not a party issue, it's an issue about greed... for some, there is never enough.  Policies and objectives have continued to be created and then removed by both parties.  The end result, nothing changes... no progress... more smoke and mirrors.  Big money for lobbyists and party contributions buy our government.  It's the way capitalism works... it's always about the money.

Jaime_302

• Mustang: 1990 ford mustang gt
  • Daily driver: not yet its under construction
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »
hhmm they should do that to 5.0 someday lol  ;D

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring