Author Topic: Why I love my Mustang  (Read 5200 times)

Konrad

• Global Moderator
  • Mustang: 2007 GT 5 speed
  • Daily driver: that is my daily driver
Why I love my Mustang
« on: September 01, 2009, 02:12:59 AM »
Why I Love My Mustang

I must admit, I tried to hate Mustangs. I thought they were too common. I thought they were unreliable, and I also thought most models were not very good looking. I had some respect for the classics but they wouldn't have been my top choice compared to other cars.

Then the pictures for the upcoming 2005 Mustang came out and wow, was I impressed. My thought was I can hardly believe they are going to make that! One day I was out working and driving about 130km/h (80mph) down a two lane highway (oops not supposed to admit that i guess) and I could see in my rear view I very strange sight. Two lights set very close together, sort of looked like a Jeep coming up, and bluish glow from beside those, and underneath the blue, there were two yellow marker lights. I thought, what IS that? He was approaching very quickly and then I was amazed when he went to pass. I thought we were going fast already and the road was ending soon. I looked to the side to see what it was and it was a beautiful sight. It only took half a second to pass me but it was unmistakeable what it was, with those aggressive looking headlights and sleek Mustang shape. Later when he was slowing down, I noticed how bright and bold the taillights looked.

When I first sat in one at the dealership showroom, I loved how big and aggressive the car felt. Even the speaker covers had a big, chunky look to them. You could tell this car was not about finesse and refinement, but that is a good thing. I liked how you felt like you're sitting IN it, not perched on top of it!

Now that I own one (a 2007 silver GT), I have no regrets. I love how when you start it up, it starts with a rumble. When you shift it into gear, it feels like the piece of machinery that it is. Not like too many new cars where you are isolated from it all and it becomes nothing more than an appliance for getting from here to there. The shifter goes directly into the transmission and you can somehow tell that gears are going together. Getting this car in motion involves little clunks and noises so you don't feel removed from it all, yet when you want to go fast, shifting is a snap. It's smooth and takes hardly any effort at all. When you are accelerating at fairly low rpms it's almost like you can feel the car's heartbeat in the shifter. It seems like you can feel every piston fire as it pushes the car forward.

Although it is not one of the most amazing cars when it comes to handling, don't underestimate it in the turns either. It is quite competent if you know what you're doing, but just wait until you straighten out and can put all 300 horsies down!

Some people have sports cars that they only drive once a while because it isn't practical for daily driving. What fun though, is a car when you aren't driving it? That's why I am happy that I can fit the family in the car, and bring whatever I need to as well, and still get decent fuel mileage.

Last of all, I love how the Mustang is an American classic. It has character and classic retro style. It doesn't look like all the other sleek, swoopy imports, that someone with too much efficiency in mind designed. (there are exceptions... don't take offense, you know who you are haha) It was originally developed to make a statement, not to be practical or make sense. Ironically enough, for how little you pay for the car compared to what it is and what it can do, it is an absolute bargain. There are extremely few cars I would trade it for!

f1rstGt

• Not the fastest, but breaking neck everytime it passes.
  • Mustang: 2003 GT
  • Daily driver: 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse.
Re: Why I love my Mustang
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
You get an A. lol  ;D now write my research paper for Friday!
hehe, good stuff there  :)

stang98

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »
"Why I love my Mustang"

I was guessing cause you look good in it  ;D

Konrad

• Global Moderator
  • Mustang: 2007 GT 5 speed
  • Daily driver: that is my daily driver
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »
I know it's kinda random to post this, but I figured it was a change from the usual "I have this problem, please help me" kind of post.

Thanks stang98

cman

• Mustang: 2008 GT
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
What a great story!!  You have captured the "essence & joy" I suspect we all feel about about Mustang ownership.  I have owned my 2008 silver vapor GT for about a year now and have rediscovered the joy of driving which starts out with that wonderfull exhaust growl every morning in the garage and feel like a kid again shifting through the gearbox as I head down the highway.  You can tell the Mustang owners from the rest of the sports car packs by seeing the smiles on our faces!

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »
That was deep, and no I'm not being sarcastic.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version