Author Topic: what do i choose  (Read 13503 times)

stangtang

what do i choose
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:23:32 PM »
hi , i am 16 and i am about to buy a classic mustang as my car . i am not mechanical at all and i will need alot of help in the future , but for now i am confused what to choose , which model is easer and/or cheaper to restore ? which engine is best ?

racedraper

Re: what do i choose
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 10:03:53 PM »
welcome to the site bro... for parts gallore go for 64 thru 68 fast backs . the one thing you must look for is rust along the fire walls ,by the front windshield. were the water runs down, its was poorly designed. but they make so many parts for that year you could build one from scratch. as for motors go for 302 or 351w.

I would stay away from 71-73 unless the cars is rust free becuase they are limited #,s and they hardly make after market parts.

Just be pataint there are good finds out there and save your $$$$. more you have the beter car your get. A friend of mine just sold his 69 mach 1 clone for 7500.00 and was awsome.

stangtang

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 05:03:15 PM »
thanks for the tips , but i have a few more things , 69 and 70 looks better than the 64-68 , so what about thoose ? , also the engines u recomonded are V8s , i like mustnags but i dont think i can afford the gas , the $$$$ for the car and some resto will be from dad , but i have to pay for gas , so what do i do ?

racedraper

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:34:46 PM »
im with you I like the looks of the 69 and 70s.
dont let tge gas prices spoil your dreams. if you really want it you will get it.

that is what the big companies want ,people not buying great AMERICAN MUSCLE but cheap foriegn crap... The american car industries need our help...yes I am a UAW member...

besides what sounds better / A V-8 or a 4 banging tuner that sound like a sick gazoo

stangtang

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 08:45:05 PM »
ok , i think i can go with a V8 if i had no choice , but a V6 would be good too , one more thing ,   about 69 and 70 s are their parts available , or sould i go with older more available models ?

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 12:26:15 AM »
Hey, im 16 too and i just purchased a 1969 with a 289 in it.  I havent had any problems finding parts for it or anything yet.  Before this car i had never turned wrenches either so going to autozone and buying a repair manual for the year model you get would be a good choice its only like 10 dollars.  If you want cheap go for the 80s because theres like a million aftermarket parts.  I would have to say go for the 302 motor because it is one of the best ford motors and there are lots of aftermarket parts for it.  And for the gas mileage im running a 350 in my truck and im still managing to pay for gas and it depends on if you get it fuel injected or carbuerated.  Make sure when you pick a car that there isnt a lot of rust.  Be sure to check the floorpans, trunk and other main spots for holes because they will be costly.  But surface rust is easy to fix.  Good luck with getting something if you have any questions email me at scorching_cool@hotmail.com

Jerry Baker

• http://www.geocities.com/themustangmafia/
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 08:45:26 PM »
Ok guys I have a 69 and 70 so I guess this is a question for me.  As it was said earlier the 65-68 have way more parts made for you to order.   I love the 69 and 70s but they dont have as many (Not Yet) and the v8 is the only way to go and in 69 and 70 I think most had a straight 6 corect me if Im wrong racedraper.

But as far as motors go I think the 289 hp would be great as well and if you have a soft foot the gas wont be that bad.  But I have a 351W hp and the gas isnt to bad.   Now the 70 has a 429 that has been built and it loves gas.

I tell everyone this:  If you are getting a mustang get what you like, not what anyone tells you.    Oh and the 69 is the best one to have LOL.

If you get one post what you got and maybe I can gide you to parts.

Racedraper told you right be cool and save your money and get a good one.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
  • I am part of the 2 percenters in America
    • http://www.geocities.com/mustangmafia_ky2/
  • Mustang: 1973 FORD MACH ONE
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 02:01:54 PM »
Hey well congrats on wanting to get one . I have a 1973 and like race said saty away from them unless they are rust free but I would go with the 65, 66, 67 coupe. It would be a good starter car for you and you can get the whole inside of it for 350 complete and you cannot really beat that. As far, as the motor that is all on you everyone will have there own opion on what is that best. All I can say is over time ford wgot rid of the motors that didn't work for them but a 289 in those couples would go good. Good luck Stang out

Jerry Baker

• http://www.geocities.com/themustangmafia/
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 11:00:44 AM »
Coupe?  Go fastback they are worth more and look sweeeeeeeet!  No get which ever you like and well I love a fastback god only knows how much, lol  but I would tell any first time classic mustang buyer to go fast back.

racedraper

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 11:05:53 PM »
just remember, what ever stang style you get , make sure you make it your own.....

Natalie

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 11:49:21 PM »
What ever u choose, im proud of you that at 16 u will own one and the fact that u appreciate the classic tangs. I myself (and ole man) didnt get ours till we where in our 40's!! And  we just ordered and bought in feb!!!!!!
                   Good Luck on your purchase, and drive safe!
                               Arestmered  (Natalie)

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 10:18:44 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the newer ones but I have a fetish for old cars and I am 26 and every since I have owned my first one I cannot stop wanting them. STANGOUT

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 09:35:30 PM »
I would get a 6o's model those are real cheap to get the inside and I would have to say the 302. That is the cheapest motor to get power out of it and there are parts all around for it so check them out. STANG OUT

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version