Author Topic: Tuning  (Read 17921 times)

wlgj

Re: Tuning
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 12:48:27 PM »
Wanted to let people know,I decided not to buy the chip this year because of rising gas prices.I know myself and would of tuned the car to performance and had to use higher octane gas,which means more expensive.So maybe next year.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 01:12:46 AM »
Yeah, I paid $4.13 for premium today for my Mach1.  I know I could possibly use medium grade, but that would only save me 50 cents for a half tank.  Not worth it.  The old 289 burns regular.  That's a relief, but it doesn't get the gas mileage as does the Mach1.

wlgj

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »
In Canada we pay 6.00$ a gallon,now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »
Is that 6 USD?

wlgj

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 06:00:22 PM »
Our $s are almost at par.One or 2 cents diff.In Canada we have litres for measuring gas sales.So it takes 4 litres to equal an American gallon.At 1.50 a litre times four=6 bucks a gallon.
The thing that bugs me the most is in Canada we have the biggest reserve of oil in the world and we pay the most of any country that has oil.
In Venezuela they pay about 40 cents a gallon!
Anyway Canada and especially the province I live in,Quebec,its about as close to communism as you can get.I mean real communism,not Russian style.Here welfare people,prisonners in jail etc. have more rights than citizens like me who pays taxes on top of taxes and supports all of these losers from politicians to welfare cases.Our gas in Quebec  is taxed at about 42%.
Sorry about the venting, this is what happens when I talk about how much we are getting robbed at the pumps.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
It's not only in Québec. Here in New Brunswick we pay 6$ a gallon too. Still, we should be happy, in the UK they are paying over $10 a gallon.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 05:46:40 PM »
Not just in the UK, but all of Europe.  I lived in Germany, the Azores and Japan for over 18 years, and I could never afford their prices for gas.  Had it not been for the cheap American station on base, I could not have lived there on the salary I was making.  I don't doubt that it is well over 10 bux a gallon today.  Let me email my German friend and get back. 

wlgj

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
I know but these countries you are talking about have no reserves of their own.Canada does and we still get the shaft.
Also I do not believe oil comes from dead dinosaurs.I read where oil is continuously produced by hot steam hitting coal and melting it to become oil.So this would make oil, not a finite product.
You mean in Britain they pay 10$ a gallon?

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 09:08:15 PM »
I can't find the website where I saw the gallon is at $10.00 in the UK but here is one showing the evolution of the price in different countries:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html
In the Netherlands it was close to $10.00 two weeks ago, it might be worse now.

wlgj

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »
That is very expensive.I went to your site.If it ever comes to this in Canada,bye bye Mustang.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
It's cyclic.  I went through the no gas thing back in the 70's and the high prices during the 80's.  Don't panic, and certainly don't sell your Mustang in a soft market. 

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »
 I was driving a 69 V8 Mustang in France and it cost me over a hundred dollars to fill the tank and that was almost 10 years ago. It never stopped me from driving it and if you go check the French section you will see many Europeans enjoying their Mustangs. If gas gets too expensive buy an Asian beater and keep your Stang for the week ends  ;)

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 07:05:15 PM »
Yeah, I didn't see any decrease in the way the Germans drove on the Autobahn while I was stationed there.  I was driving my 316 BMW at around 180 KPH and I had big Mercdedes guys come up on my back bumper and flash their lights at me to get back in the right hand lane after I passed a slow truck.  For you Americans, I was going over 100 MPH and still had the Germans pushing me.  They don't give a shit what gas costs. 

wlgj

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice but I have no intentions of ever buying a Jap. car ever again.I have bought 2 in my life and both were pieces of crap.I owned a 350z before my Mustang!American cars only from now on.
I would never sell my Mustang unless I got what I thought it was worth.I would rather keep it than give it away.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
Well, I have owned Hondas, Datsuns and Toyotas in the past and they were all extremely reliable and dependable cars.  All of the auto magazines throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's hailed the Japanese cars as the the most reliable on the planet and very often chose them as the car of the year.   That is an undeniable fact.  Since they don't have the quaint difference in design and horsepower as do the Mustangs, I now only own two cars...A 1965 coupe and an 03 Mach 1. 

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 03:51:05 AM »
if things keep going up the world will be in a depression, esp if isreal takes action with iran we will be in another war. and inflation will go thru the roof, further than it is even now.

id like to have a few acres to grow sugar cane on and a still to make some spirits to power my pony :P it grows well in our south ga climate

wlgj

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
My 2003 350z was garbage.Even though Motor Trend Car and Driver etc. said it was a great car,they never owned one long enough to know.Anyway these magazines only care about performance numbers and what gives them these numbers and prices.
I had to change my brakes at 26000 miles,all  8 pads and front rotors.At 33000,I had to change the exhaust,at 35000,I had to change the alternator!At 40000 miles the front suspension was giving out.That is when I traded it in.
And no,I am not hard on my breaks and I don`t abuse my cars.Quite the opposite.Also no service after I bought the car.
I do not want to insult anybody who owns a japanese car,just giving my opinion on what I went through.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:23 AM »
 Even if Asians were building the best cars I would never buy one and I don't understand why people in North America do.
 Where I am, all cars including Fords are imports but the Canadian economy depends more of the US than Asia. When you are buying a foreign car you send part of the US capital abroad. They might build cheap and good cars but their employees are working like ants to build them, in the future American workers will have to do the same to compete in the world market, do you want this to happen?
What makes me even more mad is when I see people driving big Toyota trucks with a V8. What is their motivation to buy it? Not fuel economy.
 This doesn't apply for vehicles only. When you want to buy local souvenirs or a Canadian flag here, it's made in China. It's cheaper but in the long run it will cost us much more than what we are saving.
I worked 13 years in a Ford plant and I was probably brain washed but I think this is very important.

wlgj

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
No you are not brainwashed.You are right in every thing you said.
People do not understand that they are going to kill the economy if we do not start buying Canadian American made cars again.The quality of these cars are even to better now than asians.Service in can. am. cars is way better than jap. cars

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »
 What do you call Canadian American cars?  ;) The only real Canadians I know were the Bricklins but they were not built for very long.
 There are American cars built in Canadian plants but there are also Japanese ones and if a Toyota is assembled here, it will never give me the motivation to buy it. That's the tip of the iceberg and Japanese are the main ones who benefit from their sales.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version