Author Topic: Tuning  (Read 17917 times)

wlgj

Tuning
« on: May 07, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Hi,I am new hear so maybe this is not new to those who have been here a while.
I own a Mustang GT CS 2008,bought new, with 10,000ks.
I would like to know which should I buy a Superchip or the SCT3 or Predator and why?
Thanks in advance
Wayne

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Tuning
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
The guys who regularly post on here either have knowledge about the classics or the 5.0.  Even though I own an 03 Mach1, I don't purport to have any knowledge about how to work on the car myself.  You might want to check with "American Muscle" and other companies who make aftermarket parts and add-on's for the 2005 and up Mustangs.  Here is a site to get you started.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-mustang-chips-tuners.html

wlgj

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »
Thanks
Wayne

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
  • I am part of the 2 percenters in America
    • http://www.geocities.com/mustangmafia_ky2/
  • Mustang: 1973 FORD MACH ONE
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:43:37 PM »
Wanye , I am not into the new cars, but my buddies both bought the predator and they love them. The spend a lot of time playing with the tunning features, just because they can. I rode in both of the cars after adjustments and wow I even played with it myself and it was very easy to use and understand. Let me know how you go. STANG OUT

wlgj

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:28:46 PM »
Thanks Russ,I am still confused though because my Mustang parts dealer says sct3.My performance dealer says superchip.My Ford dealer says Predator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Wayne

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »
Find out from your Ford dealer if all of the upgrades will keep your car under warranty.  That may sway your decision if one or two of them negate the warranty. 

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 03:13:52 PM »
Okay brother I am going to be blunt, your parts people might tell you SCT because he sells them, and the same with your performance person. The thing I do not like about third party view like parts stores and super shops, is that most of the time it is because they are told to say a product or they get money if they sell that product, not always but I have friends that do it. They sell good parts, but sometimes they are not always looking out for what you want, but what they can get if you get it.

I would first get on consumer reports and see if there is anything reported bad about any of the three, that alone might sway you enough too what you want or should choose.  The link I post has both SCT and Predator. I would look also on a price to options comparison. One might offer fuel saving of 1-2 MPG, but we all know that most of the time we will never see it unless we are driving the speed limit and in that case why are we buying performance chips. Second, I would look and see how much HP for the price, if they are giving you and extra 10 HP for 200 dollars you might be better off looking at the other one.

Third, I would look for something if possible, that could be done while moving, you know you are driving down the road and that punk pulls up to you in daddy’s car. You can switch from gas saving mode to check my rear plate mode. As I said I do not get into the new cars as much I do not find them as fun as the old ones, but that might have to do with my Wife won’t buy me one too. Check out this site and let me know if you come up with anything. STANG OUT

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-mustang-chips-tuners.html

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:21 PM »
Is there an echo in here?   ;D  That's the same site I sent him to a few days ago.  Look up above.   :o  But, yeah, you do have a good point about who you are talking to makes the difference.  If I were into modding an 08 Mustang I would be reading up on the mods in professional magazines too.  There are also a few TV shows that do these mods.  I don't have their schedules, but I have stumbled on them from time to time and they seem to know what they are talking about.  Again, my first concern before I added any mod would be to check with Ford to make sure the mod does not negate the warranty.  I replaced the shifter in my 03 with a Tri-X a few years ago, and had the mechanic at the Ford house make the change so the warranty would not be deleted.  That was the deal that Ford made with me.  Be careful.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 05:29:12 PM »
I have heard of ford doing that as long as you bring it to them and they do it they will honor it. Yeah soaring I got into the site without checking but atleast he knows he can find it there, right? Soaring you mean with all that infor on that page of yours, you mean to tell me you don't have times of mustang shows, and I thought you had it all,lol. Keep checking it out and weigh your choices and take your time the last thing you want to dois buy something before you have too. STANG OUT

wlgj

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »
Thanks again.I have been told that it could negate my warranty in some dealerships,not the ones that have Ford Racing service.But these chips can be set to go back and reprogram to original settings.In case I have to go to the dealer for service.They can be tuned every day in a different way if one wants to.
My Mustang parts dealer is a mustang freak,I just found out,and he recommends sct3 because he has tried them all.He drag races on weekends!Anyway the point is moot for now because these chips are not yet upgraded for the 2008 Mustang.I did check out your site.
Wayne

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 03:42:36 PM »
All this chip stuff is Chinese to me, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  If you can easily just unplug a chip and replace it with an original factory chip like changing out a fuse, then yeah go for it.  Or, is it more like having a little hand held computer that you plug in under the dash and dial in the factory specs into the existing chip?
 I just learned last week how to clean my MAF.   ;D
Ok, I'll return to the classic section now.   :o

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »
Well man do what you can but form what I see the SCT is a couple more hundred and the cons are outweighing the pros. If you plan on using it jsut for the strip then SCT might be right, but everyday not so much sarge,lol. STANG OUT

wlgj

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
First to answer soaring.These chips are a hand held computer programmer and they do plug under the dash.By using them,you can increase horsepower or set to get better gas mileage or better shifting from the trans. etc.
As for your comment Russ, here in canada for some reason,for now, the sct is cheaper.For the pros and cons I am getting more pros for the sct.That is from American muscle.
Thanks for your input and comments
Wayne

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »
yeah brother if you can get the SCT Cheaper than I would rock that. Let me know how it works.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »
Just for grins, what ARE the advantages of the sct over any other chip?
This stuff fascinates me.  Also, isn't that hand held computer worth mucho dolaries? 

wlgj

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
Russ,I should be able to find out this weekend,if this chip programmer does any good.It should give me about 20 horses more and 20 extra pounds of torque!With my K&N aircharger it will mean my GT should be at 330 horses and about 340 torque.
Soaring,I am going by what several persons who have used the sct chip and other chips to get my info on what is best.As I said,even American muscle recommends the sct3 and they sell more than one make.As for the price of this tuner chip,it is about 400$.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »
Ouch!  That'll take a chip (pun intended  ;D) out of your beer budget. 

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 05:49:46 PM »
Did you ever check consumer reports to see if there was anything bad about it? I would have done that before sinking that money into but I hope it works for you.

wlgj

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
Do not worry soaring,I have my beer money at the ready.I would not spend that money on my car,l.o.l.
Good point Russ,I will check it out.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »
ALso check the recalls and defects website to see if it shows up there.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version