Author Topic: trying to sell her  (Read 3263 times)

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
  • I am part of the 2 percenters in America
    • http://www.geocities.com/mustangmafia_ky2/
  • Mustang: 1973 FORD MACH ONE
trying to sell her
« on: December 06, 2008, 10:51:42 AM »
Okay here is the post I never thought was going to happen........

I have been very limited on my time with my 73 mach one and it is time that I think about her and not myself. I am asking for all that read this to lend me a helping hand on ways to sell her.

I bought it for 5500 in 05, well my wife did while I was playing in Iraq, and anyone on here knows the the work I have done to her only to get her back to factory settings. I am not sure what to sell her for since I have started stripping the paint off her and the pics that I have make it look like a piece of crap. I think I am about 7000 deep in the car, and I cannot stand to let it set there and collect dust anymore. If you could help then drop me a line.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: trying to sell her
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »
Russ, try thinking this way.  You say you have about 7K in her.  Well, ask that plus about 10%.  The 10% will start to pay you back for your time.  I would ask $9,000 for it and settle for $8,000.  Put it in Craig's list and on Ebay.  You may not get very many offers, but that Mach is worth at least that much. 

crzylx

• Mustang: 2007 Mustang GT
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
Agree'd.

Can you post some more details on it?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »
Russ may be busy with the army thing, so I will attempt to answer.  His wife gave him the car as a present, and it needed some body work, so he stripped the rear end that needed the work and replaced the parts that needed replacing.  Most of which was smoothing out the rough spots with bondo.  The car has not been painted since.  Therefore the reason why he is concerned. It is not a fresh paint job, so looks like a project in progress. 

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »
You can find more info and a few photos of his Mustang here: 1973 Mach 1

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:42 AM »
It has been awhile, I havent done as much as I would have liked to but soaring pretty much broke it down for me. I did replace the rear quarters due to some rust on her and I went ahead and got those patch panels ready to roll. It has all orin. Factory parts on her to include but not limited to:

351C 2 V
FMX Trans
Ford 9 Inch

It is a great car but I cannot have it anymore due to my duty postion and the ability for the Army to throw me from one station to another with little to no warning. I know it sucks but what is worse having a car with no value or a car with unlimted potentional and no time to build it?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:14:46 PM »
That car will never have no value Russ.  Can't you just store her for a few years until your MOS changes?  You won't be a drill Sgt. for your entire career.  And, you are going to kick your own ass in a few years when you suddenly have the time to work on it, but she ain't around and it will take twice the price to buy another one.  I also want to remind you that your loving wife gave you that car as a present.  Are you in the habit of selling presents that people give you?  ( I'm just getting that guilt trip thing going so you finally wake up and keep that Mach.)

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »
  That is a very good point and there is a lot of truth in that. I unfortanly will not be able to keep in a garage for much longer in Kansas, and I cannot bring it here, for the fact that it there are no good places to store it and the weather here suck @ss.

As far as the MOS I will still be a 19D, unlike most MOS's I still get to train 19D as a Drill Sergeant, but when my time here is done I will hav to go right back to Iraq, or Afgan. Which that doesnt bother me I already have to Deployments and would like to get a few more before that option is over. The problem I see is after 15 months in Combat I will have to go to Korea or Alaska, so my future with the car is looking slow as best. I still dont want to get rid of her but cannot stand to see pics and not be able to do anything I want to it because of lack of time.

About the wife, she as first did take it as a slap in the face but she understands the fact that the car even being as good as it was timing wasnt. There are things I love about the Military but then again it takes alot of tiem from elsewhere, not only the car but family, and that is what sucks. So with the limited time I have I feel it would be better spent with my two daughters showing them how to ride bike rather than fixing my car. That might sound dumb to some but I know that car with bring joy to another and maybe that is better for both parties.

I am still running into problem with people wanting to buy it. Not the fact of people getting a hold of me, but people think the price is too high. I added up the miles i put on her since I got it in may of 05, it was a total of 200 miles that is it. I have spent every mintue possible as most of you know on this car when I am with her, but cannot even get a chance to go home for the next two years.

Who knows what will happen but keep the info going please

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
OK...Makes sense now Russ.  You need to spend as much time with those babies before you are sent back overseas.  And, since you don't have a free garage to keep it in, it would cost you way more than the car is worth after only a few years if you had to pay for storage.  How much are you asking for it?  8-9K?  If so, that ain't too much.  Somebody is trying to get you to give it to them I guess.   ;D  I bought mine for 5K almost 20 years ago.  And, these classics do not go down in value.  On the contrary, they increase in value.  And, since yours is a Mach, it is worth AT LEAST that much. 

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:35:23 AM »
doesnt look to bad for a restorable car. ive had quite a few 71-73 they ride and drive the best imho. they are the cheapest fastback you can get into

good luck with the sale

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu