Forum > Mustang Discussions

Shopping for a mustang

<< < (3/4) > >>

Thierry:

--- Quote from: Soaring on April 12, 2008, 04:08:16 PM ---And, you really need to look in the southwestern and southern California parts of the country, because I can almost guarantee you that any snow country mustang for sale is a rust bucket.
--- End quote ---
There is some nice original classics in snow locations too. My next door neighbor has a Mustang convertible. She bought it new in 1965 and only used it during sunny days. The car is not perfect but I checked everywhere and I didn't see any sign of rust. Salty roads can make a lot of damage to cars and the good side of it is that many of them are stored and only come out in the summer.

Soaring:

--- Quote from: Thierry on April 12, 2008, 06:03:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: Soaring on April 12, 2008, 04:08:16 PM ---And, you really need to look in the southwestern and southern California parts of the country, because I can almost guarantee you that any snow country mustang for sale is a rust bucket.
--- End quote ---
There is some nice original classics in snow locations too. My next door neighbor has a Mustang convertible. She bought it new in 1965 and only used it during sunny days. The car is not perfect but I checked everywhere and I didn't see any sign of rust. Salty roads can make a lot of damage to cars and the good side of it is that many of them are stored and only come out in the summer.

--- End quote ---
Obviously, there are going to be exceptions to the rule, but the general rule is that  "Most" classic mustangs that have been driven in the snow country are rust buckets.  If you can find that illusive one of a kind that grandma only drove to church on Sunday and only in the summertime, or the illusive story book "barn" find in the snow country that is rust free, then consider yourself "very" lucky.  Personally, I wouldn't waste my time looking for a classic Mustang in the snow country. 

Thierry:
 I don't know about the northern locations in the States but Canada has more rust free classics than you may think. I know many car fans over here with modern Corvettes and Vipers who never use them in winter. In summer I see newer Mustangs every days on the roads but very few in the winter. In 30 years these cars if treated the same way will be in much better condition than the ones used all year long in dry locations. The problem with rust free Canadian classics is their higher price compared to the equivalent in the States.

Soaring:

--- Quote from: Thierry on April 12, 2008, 06:47:06 PM --- I don't know about the northern locations in the States but Canada has more rust free classics than you may think. I know many car fans over here with modern Corvettes and Vipers who never use them in winter. In summer I see newer Mustangs every days on the roads but very few in the winter. In 30 years these cars if treated the same way will be in much better condition than the ones used all year long in dry locations. The problem with rust free Canadian classics is their higher price compared to the equivalent in the States.

--- End quote ---
Sure, you have rust free classic mustang cars in Canada, but they are/were not driven in the winter with snow and salt.  Back in the 1960's, the Mustang was just another cheap car, so was driven year round.  If it wasn't, then it was a rare exception.  Like I said before,  the best place to look for a rust free classic Mustang will be in the Southwestern part of the United States where it doesn't snow, and no salt is put on the highways to melt the snow and ice, therefore causing rust on the cars. 

66GTKFB:
What's - 'snow'?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version