Author Topic: Restoring '91 Mustang GT Convertible  (Read 2825 times)

mjbrook

• Mustang: 1991 Mustang Convertible GT 5.0
Restoring '91 Mustang GT Convertible
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:34:29 PM »
I have a '91 with about 90k miles on it that has sat unused in my garage in Vancouver, BC for 3 yrs.  Ran well last time I used it.  What do  I need to do to get it working safely again and how much will it likely cost? 

Thanks for your help.  I love my Mustang, but want to make sure it is safe if I am going to drive it, and want some idea of the cost before I get started.

Tires are still good, but will I need new ones since it sat for so long?  Also need a new back glass window and side view mirror and case.

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
Re: Restoring '91 Mustang GT Convertible
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
First check all lights  most likely you will need to put a fresh battery in and check the condition of the cap and rotor.  If they need replacing go ahead and do so.  Check the air filter and if it is not clean, replace.

Replace the fuel filter and drain the gas tank completely.  With a fresh fuel filter and fresh gas, you have a better chance of starting without excessive cranking and possible damage to the engine.

Change the oil before attempting to start.  Personally I would pull the distributor and use a preoiler (basically a fitting for a drill to spin the oil pump) to get the oil system pressurized.  Some folks pull the spark plugs and inspect them and add a bit of marvel's mystery oil or some such stuff to the cylinders to try and free up any frozen rings and add a bit of lubrication.  I am not a fan of adding lubricants this way as it can fould plugs and make it hard to start the engine and cranking a cold dry engine is where a lot of wear occurs.

Once it is fired up and running, plan to change transmission fluid and to at least check condition of differential gear oil.

You should also put it on a rack and make sure there are no rust issues that need to be addressed.  If you see evidence of rust, it needs to dealt with as the car is a unibody and rust near the suspension mounting points can lead to failures that can be pretty ugly.

Finally, the tires may have flat spots from sitting.  I wouldn't assume they are bad, and if they pass a visual inspection and ride smooth, you might be able to avoid replacing them,  On the other hand tires for your car are fairly cheap.

mjbrook

• Mustang: 1991 Mustang Convertible GT 5.0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
Thanks Jeff, this is very helpful and much appreciated!  I love my Mustang, just want to make sure I can drive it safely after restoring it back to health.

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
Good luck.  Just a word of warning-I am not a mechanic by trade.

If you have starting problems, don't be ashamed to call in help.  Cranking an engine that has been sitting can go very smoothly or it can go bad and cause problems.

Th 5.0 is a damn reliable engine and at the mileage you have should be in very good shape.  It would be a shame to ruin the rings with a starting problem and excessive cranking.  Call in the cavalry if it doesn't fire after a few tries and do not crank on it for more than about 6-7 seconds at a time.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version