Author Topic: redo or leave  (Read 5676 times)

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
  • I am part of the 2 percenters in America
    • http://www.geocities.com/mustangmafia_ky2/
  • Mustang: 1973 FORD MACH ONE
redo or leave
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:15:07 PM »
Okay guys I am thinking and I know that is bad for this army guy but here goes.  I and thinking about rebuilding my FACTORY 351 C 2V , but I don't want to lose value and need some others thoughts on it. I am not going to ever race this car and it is sooooo close to factory I mean I am the second owner, and I don't know

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: redo or leave
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »
 The choice is up to you. If your car is all original and the engine modified you might loose value but if it's well done and invisible from the outside it could be the opposite. You can also use bolt on parts that will increase the power but will be easy to put back to stock if needed or find a cheap 5.0L in a junk yard, rebuild it with performance parts and keep the stock engine in a dry place.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
well I was really worried about rebuilding it. I plan on hooking up the inside because that is easy to hide and help. I have the factory ok stamp on the valve cover and I want to redo the engine but not lose the value. I don't know if I am making sense or not. It has a few leaks but it is factory and I hate to show it with the leaks but don't wnat to lose the value.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:56:04 PM »
I know what you mean now. Can't you fix the leaks without damaging the paint on the valve covers? Is the oil coming from them?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
If you plan to keep it concours, just rebuild the engine with NOS parts.  That OK stamp isn't worth much.  The VIN and the shop's bill for rebuilding it will be the most important things to prove it is concours. 

Bossnutt

• My Mustang Site
  • Mustang: 1985 Project car
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:40:13 PM »
If you watch auctions and classic car TV shows, they'll tell you to rebuild it.  Just rebuild it to factory spec and you won't lose value.  Not trying to sound rude, but you'll lose money if you have a car that has a bad motor in it quicker than if you rebuild it to preserve the integrity of the car.  Also, if you want to keep your "OK" stamp intacted, when you remove the valve covers clean them with a mild soap and wash cloth, nothing harsh. 

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
Take pictures of the stamp, measure it, get a color match and have a reproduction made. Then do any and all restorations you feel are necessary. If you think that is a lot of work, then -
Jim

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »
Yeah, that OK sign on the valve cover is not really all that important.  Even in a concours judging situation at a classic Mustang show, there is nothing in the concours judging rules that mentions that the OK sign has to be there, and zero deductions will take place if it isn't.  For your own gratification, Jim has given you a way to put it back on a refreshed valve cover, but you would be foolish to spend the time and money on something that will gain you nothing.   

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:18:36 AM »
I have been to a lot of car shows but never for just mustangs, or with my mustang, where can I get the score sheet from or maybe a run down on it. As far as the OK stamp I think I am trying to take it to far with the whole factory conditions, the car only has 75 K on her and I really want to beef up the inside of the motor but leave the outside looking factory, maybe a intake carb and headers, but other than that.

I am not a big crome guy, my father taught me at a young age to stay away from crome and I like that ford blue color anyways. I even took a lot of flack when I was painting my 383 for my camaro oval blue, but what can I say. Trust I want to get more horses out of that 351C but what all can you do with the 2V?

Well the car is comming together but I will have to start somewhere and that motor since it start everytime and give me no problems is on the back burner, for now. The stamp will be on the valve when I am done but my bro is a Bad@$$ air brushest and he will put it on there for me just for grins since it won't be judged. thanks

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version