Poll

Has any one had problems with their automatic mustang and the override slipping?  Is there a way to replace the trans converter?

yes
0 (0%)
no
0 (0%)
i had to replace the transmisson
0 (0%)
replace the trans converter
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Overdrive Slippage  (Read 3314 times)

Mustangally

• Mustang: 2001
  • Daily driver: 01 mustang
Overdrive Slippage
« on: August 02, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »
When i have the overdrive on in my 2001 automatic mustang, it shifts fine from 1 to 3rd gear, but then sometimes wont go into fourth gear and its like it doesn't catch and my rmps just rise when i hit the gas.. My trans fluid doesn't smell burned and its at a good level ( i've checked it while its turned off and both in idle).  Is there some sort of trans converter that i could replace easily?  If i go to a dealership will they screw with me about this and tell me i need a new trans? Any ideas?  Thanks for your help! - ally!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Overdrive Slippage
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »
You need to take your Mustang to a reliable dealer in your area to assess the problem.  The dealers have the proper equipment to determine what your problem is. It could just be a simple adjustment, or replacing a part.  More than likely though, your servos need adjusting (tightened) and the fluid and filter need changing. 

kristihuls

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
i too am having the same problem.  my husband changed the fluids and the filter last night, but the problem with the overdrive seems to be worse.  are the servos a pain to get to?  or is this something he should be able to do.  i can drive the car with the OD off, will this hurt it for now?

if we have to rebuild the trans, anybody know what i should expect to pay for a 3.8 2001 model?

thanks.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »
Hi Kristi, and welcome to this site.  My suggestion is that you take that puppy to a Ford dealer and have them access the problem.  Yes, it may cost you a little more in the short term, but in the long term you will come out ahead.  Your AOD has some slipping clutches that need attention.  It's not your transmission clutches that are slipping, but the AOD clutches.  No, it won't hurt to drive it with the AOD turned off. 

kristihuls

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
ah i see now.  will do.  thank you very much! ;D

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 05:49:32 PM »
There will be some more expert guys who will chime in here.  I really don't know much about those AOD transmissions with the Foxes, but I do know they have their own sealing/tightening  systems.  Like I said, I would take it to a Ford dealer. 

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version