Author Topic: I found a motor and thinking about putting it in  (Read 13974 times)

racedraper

I found a motor and thinking about putting it in
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:04:20 PM »
I found a 429 thunderjet motor and trans for 500 bucks. Im thinking about putting it in. I have found a complete motor mount kit for around 400. so the question is should I or not. since the some would like to keep things stock and origanl but since I have already changed so much metal in the car so that value is not there but as a restro rod it will be...

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: I found a motor and thinking about putting it in
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:45:17 PM »
500 bucks for a 429 thunderjet motor sounds like a great deal. It also sounds very interesting to have it installed in your car. You will have much more potential to get extra horse power as you upgrade it in the future.
If the metal replaced on your car was done correctly there is no reason the value would suffer from it.
Why don't you keep the stock engine and other parts you may replace? This way if one day you decide to sell the car you can have it back to original.
Today modified classic Mustangs when done with good taste and good components can be sold for big bucks and most of the time much more than a stock Mustang.
The chioice is yours but keep us informed about your plans and I hope you will turn your beast into a monster.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
  • I am part of the 2 percenters in America
    • http://www.geocities.com/mustangmafia_ky2/
  • Mustang: 1973 FORD MACH ONE
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 07:12:19 PM »
Firt and foremost you shouldn't put that motor in there you should give it to me you wouldn't like it it would make your car run slow and you wouldn't be happy at all,lol. Yeah bro hook it up that motor would be tha bomb but if you want I will take it off your hands. STANGOUT

racedraper

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:43:36 PM »
well if your nice I might give you 3 car lengths head start for the race you want sooooo bad.lol

or I could sell you my cleveland that has only 88k miles with the brand new Edlelbrock manifold and 600 cfm carb that has never had gas ran through it ooh yeah it will also come with hedman headers

Jerry Baker

• http://www.geocities.com/themustangmafia/
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:04:13 AM »
How much you want for this motor? does it have a tranny?

The wife has a 429 in her car but it seems like its seen its last days. I would fix it but they board it to the max and did what seems to be so much wrong things to it.  So we are looking for a 429 or something else.

racedraper

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:35:19 PM »
351 cleveland 2v well i have no idea what a fair price for it.it does have a fresh fmx trans that will come with it. there is about a $425 worth of edelbrock 600 cfm carb and intake manifold that has never had gas run through it, well ou have seen pics of it on here

The 429 is bone stock with a c6 trans and a friend is selling it for 500

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 03:01:09 AM »
Buy it bro and if you really want to sell that intake and header and stuff let me know how much and I will have to see if I can get someone up there to take it off you hands. STANG OUT

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 07:23:33 PM »
What ?? Are you nuts ?? Who would do such a thing ???  Oh , wait a sec.   I did .. OOOPS sorry . Hey if you need some advice . Let me know. Be happy to help.

racedraper

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »
Im putting the cleveland on ebay tonight  anyone wanna shoot me an offer just pm me..

the engine swopp should be no problem I will post picks of every step and gomer  thats a sick fox body you have

Jerry Baker

• http://www.geocities.com/themustangmafia/
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:08:37 PM »
I want to know more about this 429 thunderbolt.  I never heard of a thunderbolt.

But I love the big blocks.  I know you remeber me talking about the wifes 429 not running right.  Well we are going to pull it and put the extra 429 I have in the barn in it after a new rebuild.

racedraper

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 02:36:50 PM »
its a thunderjet 429 :lol:  I sold the motor today and getting the 429 this weekend. I am going to take it apart new seals , bigger cam, alum manifold, carbs . I already have a shopping list .so it should be fun .

racedraper

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 06:44:56 PM »
well here is my headers I ordered

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »
Crome don't get you home but it will help the bark of the motor man, nice set keep it comming and if you find yourself with a over load of buying things buy me a rear end gear,lol. STANG OUT

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 08:05:32 PM »
Hey , I just thought of something. You may want to put a baffle in oil pan , to keep it close to pickup . I had that problem on a hard launch,,,,lost oil pres. It may keep you from pulling it right away.

racedraper

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 03:12:08 PM »
well the motor is all apart and going to be hot dipped and new cam bearings put in. hey gomer what cam would you think be good for all around streetable? I also need to take the heads to be redone. any other sudjestions on this motor ?

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 06:59:39 PM »
Oh ,,do i have a cam for you. I just put this one in, Ford Motor Sport  M -6250-C 460 . I got it from summit.  I wanted to stay hydralic. I went with RHODES lifters . They sound like solids at an idle. Realy nice lump. No vac for power brakes,,  but you won't be fitting in a boster anyway.  Now for the heads,  measure them   you want at least 2.190 on intake , 1.76 on exhaust. If you can aford it ,, pocket port and unshroud valves. This well give you the most BANG for you're buck. And a so, so C6 will handle this much power. With a shift kit. Can't think of much else . But feel free to ask anything else.

bradley

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 12:32:56 AM »
Dude if you dont buy it lt me know i need a new toy

racedraper

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
hey brad how  are you. Anyway Ive torn down the motor totally. I need to get new rods, they have the pressed pins so I need foating one. If you have any laying around Gomer let me know Ill buy them. Ive just orderd Kieth Black hypersomething pistons. My brother in Minnesota is building it for me Im just sending him the parts.

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 08:20:06 AM »
I dont have any x-tra parts , cept a solid roller cam and lifters. X-tra parts broke. :-D .And 2 blocks. Some heads, but i am saving them to build a blower motor. This winter i hope.

knockemstiff

• Mustang: 89 gt/64 1/2 convertable
  • Daily driver: 99 gmc burban
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
i had a 460 bought for 200 but i found out it was 850 for the kit toput it in nah

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version