Author Topic: How did you meet your own first Mustang ?  (Read 10010 times)

rouge67

How did you meet your own first Mustang ?
« on: November 03, 2006, 12:15:36 PM »
Or what did you encourage to buy your first or next Mustang ?

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: How did you meet your own first Mustang ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »
I always dreamt to own an american muscle car and while reading the ads in a magazine "Top Cars" (for our french readers) I saw a 1969 Mustang coupe for sale. The car was in excellent shape, rust free and freshly imported from California. The only work it needed was a new paint job, seat covers and it had a cracked dashboard. For  a little over $6000.00 I fell immediately in love and after a few phone calls to the owner I took the train for a 5h trip to go see it and drove it back home.
 I kept it for 5 years and never had any problem with it and today, the Mustang is my favorite Muscle car not including the Challengers, Chargers and Barracudas but I don't think they are worth the difference in value so I will always stick up with the Mustangs.
What about you Rouge67?

rouge67

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »
I'll try to tell you my little story but I'm not sure to speak english well :-? .
[img align=left]http://ophilipp.free.fr/images/pit-1.gif[/img]When I was teenager I remember I saw my first Mustang, around the '65-67, it was a dark green one. In this time the car had made me turn the eyes. Much later, in 2001, a friend who owned old cars and was the President of a club called "The Wacky race", tells me: "hey, when do you buy a vintage car ?" and I answer: " the only which is in my brain is the Mustang, and espacially a '67 one".[img align=right]http://ophilipp.free.fr/images/p_wacky09.gif[/img]
A few weeks later I found a red '67 Mustang ! (US$5000)
But when I scrapped the paint I saw the original color: ... dark moss green !
I say, it's not me who found the car, it's the car which found me!
(Thierry corriges moi si il y a trop d'incompréhension...)

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 04:16:25 PM »
I am sure everone will understand what you mean.

rouge67

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 04:47:13 PM »

Thierry wrote:
I am sure everone will understand what you mean.

Maybe, but I hope to improve my language thru this forum !

Mach1EH

• Photo contest winner
    • Assorted pictures of my Mustangs, trips and truck.
  • Mustang: 2003 Mach1 & 2011 GT/CS vert
  • Daily driver: 2006 F150 FX4
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 05:03:36 PM »
I bought my 1st car after University.
It was a used 1989 Mustang GT.  Low miles and a great price.
I went to see it and I met the father of the owner.
It seems dad bought the car for his son under the agreement he stay in school.  The son dropped out of school dad put the car up for sale cheap to get rid of it.
I happened to see it, my 1st car I bought was a Mustang GT.

I had three of those Fox bodied Mustangs the 5.0 GT, a 5.0 coupe and a 2.4L coupe.
All good fun.
I am currently with Mustang #4 (Mach1 was my 4th Mustang) and Mustang #6 (the GT vert I have).
I traded Mustang #5 for #6.

I have always LOVED Mustangs; since I have been a child.

fjt226

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »
At the ripe old age of 15 in 1970 I accompanied my father to a Ford Dealership because he was shopping for a new car, a Mustang.  He wanted a blue 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 and auto trans.  While we were there I went looking through the lot and found a dark ivy green metallic, 1970 Mach 1 with a 428CI and 4 speed, the vaunted "R" model.  I brought him over, showed it to him, and later that day he drove it home.  A few years later the car was mine and has been with me ever since.  I have driven it, raced it, and enjoyed it thoroughly.  I currently has a 427CI under the hood, I got it from Holoman and Moody for those of you with good memories.  The car is now due a frame up restoration from a competent firm.

Since then I have owned a number of Mustangs including a '77 with 4sp, a '66 with an auto which I owned the same car twice, bought it, sold it, bought it again, and since sold it.

That brings me to my current Mustang stable listed below.  I am a Mustang fanatic.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:09:39 AM »
 :o Very impressive collection. With such cars, you must have a hard time deciding which to drive.
Do you have a favorite one? Please if you have pictures of your Mustangs post them here in a new topic of in the photo gallery. I can't wait to see them all together  :)

Street Jesus

• Practically a god.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 01:37:31 AM »
In 1994, freshman year of high school, a friend told me his neighbor was selling a 5.0 mustang. It was a 79' hatch that had been parked for 3yrs and the engine and trans were pulled. For $500.00 i got the car, a 302 shortblock, 302 longblock, 351 heads, and a C4.

Thank god for high school auto shop! With the help of dad i got everything to school to be put back together. After a month the 351 was in and i had the fastest car in high school. I guess you could say i'm hooked.

I still have the 79' as well as an 86' LX and an 01' Cobra.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »
Three Mustangs? Yes, I think you are hooked  ;D

Bossnutt

• My Mustang Site
  • Mustang: 1985 Project car
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 11:34:23 AM »
I got hooked on them when my friend had a 68 coupe when I was a teenager.  We outran the police in it and then she sold it for a 85-86 model with T-tops.  (Which is why I'm not big on T-Tops they always leaked on my leg on the way to school).  I loved that car.  I've been hooked ever since.  It didn't go well being that my father is a die hard Chevy man.  But one day I told him that I know what car I want before I die, of course he asked which one.  I told him a 1970 Boss 429 Grabber Blue.  That's when he told me that my uncle had a 70 mustang fastback that he would street race.  That's what my mom was in on the way to the hospital to deliver me.  My uncle got her there in 20 minutes, which would normally be a 45 minutes ride.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
That could explain why you are hooked by them. Did you get a drive back from the hospital in that Mustang too?
I agree with you, my firebird with it's T-top is a real pain and now with all the leaks, it allows me to use the car like the Flintstones do, I just need to get more muscle on my legs  :D

Bossnutt

• My Mustang Site
  • Mustang: 1985 Project car
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »
That could explain why you are hooked by them. Did you get a drive back from the hospital in that Mustang too?
I agree with you, my firebird with it's T-top is a real pain and now with all the leaks, it allows me to use the car like the Flintstones do, I just need to get more muscle on my legs  :D

Yep I did, the funny thing is was blue too.  It's cool cuz my eyes are blue.  Have you checked into the seals for the T-Tops for your car?  I know they're expensive for mine.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 11:46:40 AM »
 My parents use to own a 68 Holden Monaro, the Australian version of the GTO or Camaro. I was only 6 to 8 years old but I think this is what got me hooked to muscle cars. Europeans like me are more into VW or Honda cars and not "straight line sport cars".
 Yes, the car is apart and the rubbers were bad but the leak came from a pin hole in the rail where the seal was sitting. The seals are very expensive for the Firebird as well.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
I was a Department of Defense Dependent's School teacher, teaching at Camp Zama, Japan in 1992.  My older brother knew of my desire to own a classic Mustang, so when he found one for sale at a town not too far from him, he asked me if I wanted it.  It was a coupe with a 289 and a 3 speed, but at least it was a V8 model, so I said yes.  I paid $4,000 for it.  It had spent all it's life in west Texas where it is very dry, so it had zero rust issues.  Since then, I had a $5,000 body restoration and paint job done on it, but as far as the mechanics, she is original.  I just keep her clean and the general maintenance tasks done. She is running synthetic oil and synthetic tranny and rear end oil.  She has a Pertronix ignition and a 4 row radiator with a recovery tank.  I also replaced everything in the interior myself to include a new carpet, dash pad, seat covers and new paint.  She still runs like a scalded cat and only has 130,000 miles on an untouched engine. 

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version