Forum > Mustang Discussions

gAS LEAKING FROM MY 4100

<< < (2/3) > >>

jcrhodes:
I think an new aftermarket Holley is the way to go..I'm going to start shopping.

Thanks,  I add some pictures soon of my 641/2

Soaring:

--- Quote from: FASTBACK65GT on February 16, 2010, 07:19:32 PM ---If you can't quite get it fixed, you might consider doing what a lot of people do with their 4100s...get a new aftermarket Holley or other, and keep that 4100 off to the side for when you later sell the car.  4100s are just prone to a lot of problems and the new carbs will make your car enjoyable to drive.

--- End quote ---
You don't 'know what you are talking about.  That 4100 is one of the most reliable carbs on the planet.  The first thing I would do would be to give the side of the carb a tap with the handle of a screwdriver to get the float unstuck.  If that didn't work, I'd take the top off and see if the float is maladjusted.  Try doing that with a damn Holley. 

FASTBACK65GT:
Here's the dreaded "F-O-R-D" What's it stand for? saying (on a Ford group no less!).  Fix Or Repair Daily.  ::) Where did they get that from?  The 4100 was a contributor.  I had a 4100 on my first fastback and it was nothing but trouble.  I've talked to many a Ford person about the 4100 and most all say how they had to constantly tweak or repair their carbs on a REGULAR BASIS - they really hated it.  Look at your own forum columns - two different current 4100 problems on here RIGHT NOW!  Uhhh, correction - three 4100 recent topics.  That should be enough proof for you.  If you want more proof...Go to ebay.  See how many driver 65-66 Mustangs are listed with new Holleys or other.  Do it!

I'm not saying its bad, or was an awful carb - but when its 50 year old technology with 50 year old worn out castings that becomes a nuisance to its owner just replace it with new reliable technology. 

If you want a perfect show car, stick with the 4100.  If you want some fun driving car with little or no headaches, switch it out. ;D

FASTBACK65GT:

--- Quote from: Soaring on February 16, 2010, 09:57:58 PM ---The first thing I would do would be to give the side of the carb a tap with the handle of a screwdriver to get the float unstuck.  If that didn't work, I'd take the top off and see if the float is maladjusted.  Try doing that with a damn Holley.

--- End quote ---
I don't have to.  I just turn the key and go. 8)  You sound like you have a lot of experience with all the problems on a 4100.  ???

66GTKFB:
I had (note past tense) about a half a dozen Holly 4150/4160 carbs that I got rid of. They were not that good for my applications. I will admit that you can get more HP from a Holly than a 4100 Autolite but Hollys are a bitch to dial in, they need constant tweeking, use a lot more gas and leak. Yes they ooze gas. In the three Mustangs I have left, all have 4100 carbs, all are stock, all work fine, all need minimum adjustments, all give me about the same mileage that I got back in the mid 60's with my Fairlane "K" and Mustang "A", and overall are more reliable. To be truthful, I have a 69 VW Baja with a 3110 Holly Bugspray two barrel carb and a pair of 42DCNF Webers set up for a VW 2180cc race engine sitting on the shelf. It's not a bias, it's what is the best for your application.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version