Forum > Mustang Discussions

gAS LEAKING FROM MY 4100

<< < (3/3)

Soaring:
I  been overhauling carbs going on 50 years now, and Jim is right about the dialing in  problems with the Holleys.  Once you tweak a 2100 or a 4100 after you overhaul them, they stay tweaked.  All carburetors will eventually need an overhaul, and the 4100 is not as easy to overhaul as the 2100, but a great deal easier than overhauling a Holley.   If you have never overhauled a Holley, then you will run into a nightmare. 
You have to know what you are doing to overhaul any carburetor, and obviously whoever overhauled this 4100 was lacking in experience.   I'm saying it was human error, not the fault of the reliable 4100. 

jcrhodes:
Thanks all for the good advice, I got the car running this morning and so far no problems..cross your fingers!!
I took the top off the carb and the front float was stuck, well not the float but the metal piece that connects to the float.   One thing that makes no since, the back float was OK, but when it did leak it came out of both back & front overflow?  Anyway it's a sunny day and going for a ride.  Good day!

Soaring:
Glad you got it fixed, and that you now know how to unstick a float.  Just a tad of misalignment when overhauling them will cause that.  Now, go drive it like it is stolen.   ;D

66GTKFB:
Congrats on the carb. I know the feeling. I just spent an hour getting my 66 hardtop "A" code fired up after it sat for four month (I hate rain). All it needed was a bit of a boost from a battery charger, a lot of cranking and it fired up - ran smoothly. While it was on the charger, I repaired an outside 115vac outlet (a real genuine short to ground - blame the installer), pulled the battery from a 66 VW a friend is storing in my back yard and put that battery on a trickle charger in my garage. Yesterday, I fired up my two garage queens, a 65 GT Fastback (it sat for three months) and a 66 GT Fastback "K" car (it sat for two). Ran them about three miles and put them back in the garage. I know a Holley would have given me a bit more problems for cars sitting for that period of time. If you do go with a Holley, consider this - because of the Holley's larger cfm rating, you will need a better breathing manifold, a cam to use that extra fuel/air mixture and headers to get the exploded fuel out. I would spend the money on suspension and bakes.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version