Author Topic: EV Mustang  (Read 16698 times)

Burt

EV Mustang
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: EV Mustang
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »
Anything is possible, but as the article alludes, they will be too expensive for the average consumer.  We are hooked on gasoline powered cars right now, and until someone can produce a cheaper way of getting around, and also enjoy some power to do it at a decent price, then we are stuck with gas cars I'm afraid.  You come up with a car that produces 300+ horsepower for under 30K dollars and it runs on something besides gas, and I will buy it.  Until then, I'll stay with my current Mustangs.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
I would never buy an electric Mustang. Whatever power it gives a muscle car without the sound of a V8 would never be a muscle car.
It could be interesting if it was solar powered but if you have to plug it every night, that energy would still come from a non environmental friendly source.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:53 PM »
Yeah, either solar, wind,nuclear or ocean wave generated electric power would be OK for the environment, but if the electricity is generated by fossil fuels, then what are we gaining?  As you can see, there are some if, ands, and buts here regarding the production of electric powered automobile engines. 

Bossnutt

• My Mustang Site
  • Mustang: 1985 Project car
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
I just can't see a mustang being electric, solar or anything else other gas powered.  All the electric or otherwise powered vehicles I've seen on tv going a max of 35-45 mph and I can't handle that.  Not when everyone else on the road is going anywhere 10-20 miles OVER the speed limit.  As it is I feel like I'm going to get run over doing 65 mph.

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »
Try the four legged type whiile you are at it.
Jim

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
  • Mustang: 1968 Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
The tech is out there, it's just not being sponsored by any of the big money and it's not for everyone.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

The cost for this and similar EV's will not come down for quite some time as it's not being done by any of the big auto company's. 

There is a economic problem with changing from the current petrol based transportation, maintenance and distribution too quickly.  Eliminate petrol cars too quick and the huge economy around auto and petroleum sales & distribution and auto maintenance & repair will crash, eliminating thousands of jobs, because electric cars just don't have all the wear and tear, thereby lasting longer.

The distribution based on present tech could work with battery exchange stations like you do with your propane tanks for those that do long hauls.  Daily commutes is ready to go, but just not enough demand or funding from big money (like Congress).

Sorry for the long response... this is one of those soap box topics for me.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »
And you are exactly right.  We as a world, are just not geared up to change from an oil based supply of energy to a car that will give us the speed and miles we have to currently drive to get to work and take care of business.  I certainly don't see an airplane taking off with an electric engine at this point and time in our technology research.  Our cheapest way to transport goods is the modern day train.  Those engines are electric powered engines, but it takes diesel to generate the electricity.  If you have ever watched a 40 or 50 car train loaded down with thousands of tons of stuff being pulled by two engines, then you will quickly understand that it is not the diesel that powers those engines, but the electricity that the generators in those engines produce.  Now, if we can get an electric engine in a car that the batteries are powered by something other than dino fuel, then we may have something that will repel us into the next millenium.   

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 11:13:34 AM »
 Yes, no one cares about our planet if our economy depends on it. There is different kind of energy that could be used to generate electricity, like sun, wind, ocean tides, underground heat... The technology is here but it would be the end of the petroleum industry and our governments are more interested in money than our planet.
I would be the first one to drive an electric car to prevent pollution and drive a car like a V8 Mustang for fun on week ends but that won't happen before a long time. The first ones able to do so will be the rich people, the ones wasting energy to heat or cool their luxury mansions, inside pools...
Some of you may say or think that ethanol is the future but that's the biggest joke I heard and it's far more polluting than regular gas. Ethanol is only an excuse so we continue buying petroleum fuel and feel better about our environment.

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 12:18:28 AM »
I couldn't agree more about E85... what a joke.  Our politicians gave millions to allow companies to build out plants for this stuff, but all it did was provide a less efficient fuel and help drive up costs for corn, which drives up the cost of everything else that uses corn, like feed for beef, pork, etc. and soft drinks or just about anything else sweet.  I have a flex fuel mini-van and it gets at best 19MPG.  My previous mini-van was the same exact drive train but was only gas and got 23MPG at best.  That's a 17% decrease in MPG.  I thought I was doing something smart for the environment, but now I'm looking to get rid of it. 

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 12:48:28 AM »
Here is a shocker for you.  Do you know that oil is not produced from ancient forests that have rotted or dinosaurs that you have been led to believe?  Oil is a natural process that the earth produces way down deep and then by its' rotation brings it up to a level where man can drill for it.  I can produce articles and scientific evidence of what I say, but trust me, oil is a natural unending process.  We are in no danger of running out of it.  Now, fields may deplete, but those will just replinish themselves given time.  The ANWR can produce billions of gallons of oil, but the democratic politicians are prohibiting oil companies from drilling there because of environmental issues, of which there are none. 

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »
 I always thought oil came from the decomposition of living organisms. I am shocked  :D
I doubt we will run out of oil some day and if it happens underneath our lands there will still be lot more under the oceans. The problem is the pollution and with more people buying cars like in China we better worry about it.
 Ethanol cars may or may not be more efficient in fuel but before we can use it, much more energy is needed to convert vegetables into ethanol than crude oil into gas. If Ethanol was the only fuel available, where would we grow the corn, sugar canes...? Cutting more trees would be very ecological.
 Have you heard about Prince Charles' contribution to save our planet?
He is now driving an Aston Martin powered by white wine  :D
Source

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »
One of our problems I've heard time and again with gas prices is that no one is building more refineries, creating a limited supply curve that drives the cost up.  Oil barrel price is driven up because of world demand, like China embracing capitalism. 

Using a food source for fuel is just not smart.  Alternative energy sources wouldn't be as expensive if they were used in greater volume.  Those in power do not want free energy... the economic model only works if the majority remain addicts and we buy, buy, buy.  That's how the model works.  Shovel money to the top 5% and hopefully it'll trickle down to the common man.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
Ever thought about using water to run engines?  Here is some info that sounds fishy to me, but that's just the doubting Thomas in me.  Watch the videos and read the advertisements.  See what you think then get back with your knee jerk reaction. 
http://www.watercarpro.com/

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
I'm a skeptic.  I don't say it's impossible, but SHOW-ME in person.

mustangluver

• Mustang: 66 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: 2008 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »
wat fuel alternative would be cheapest and least amount of modifications for the older mustangs

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »
I added a hydrogen boost to my '68 302 2v.  It's simply a mason jar with a homemade element, some vacuum tubing, distilled water, teaspoon of baking soda and wires to the solenoid to activate when the ignition key is on.  I was getting 11mpg and it boosted me to 14mpg.  I'm still not happy about the mpg as I figure there must be something else wrong to get such poor mpg.  I used to have a '79 Camaro 305 2v and it got 22mpg so it's hard for me to believe this is the norm.

mustangluver

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »
keiken,
dont feel bad. my 66 289 gets 12 in the city n 18 on hwy. do i wish it was better? of course. but at least ur getting something better. :)

has anyone on this site heard of the infamous 200 mpg carburetor?

keiken01

• My 1968 Mustang
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »
well, that does make me think maybe this is just the limit of the old tech but it sure does make it hard to drive when gas gets up to $4/gal.

mustangluver

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
lol i hope to God it dont up too far this summer.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version