Author Topic: EV Mustang  (Read 16785 times)

mustangluver

• Mustang: 66 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: 2008 Hyundai Accent
Re: EV Mustang
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
what car do you have that gets 5 miles to the gallon?

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
Its a coin toss between my truck again depending on how i drive it etc, and my mach 1. still depending on how i drive.

mustangluver

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 12:15:44 AM »
good for you tim. now glen any place you know of out by dallas n what not?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
No....I haven't lived in the Dallas area for many years now, but most likely if you get into the Yellow pages and look it up, you will find some in farming communities like Farley, Terrell, Wylie, etc.  Also check with Tractor companies like John Deer, Ferguson, Farmall, etc.  When I grew up on a farm in west Texas we used propane in our small tractors and pickups, so I know they  are available.  You just have to research.   

mustangluver

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
awesome thanks. :) ill look at my local tractor supply first.

mustangluver

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »
err.....wait. sorry didnt read the response right. lol. any way i can use used cooking oil?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
No, used cooking oil is to be added to Diesel engines....not gasoline engines.   ;D

mustangluver

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010, 02:12:48 AM »
too bad it cant be for both. it be amusing to have the ppl behind you wonder why they smell mcdonalds hhahhahhhahhaha

Pacman131

• Muscle Car Parts
  • Mustang: 2004 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra
  • Daily driver: 2002 Trans Am
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
I would never buy an electric Mustang. Whatever power it gives a muscle car without the sound of a V8 would never be a muscle car.
It could be interesting if it was solar powered but if you have to plug it every night, that energy would still come from a non environmental friendly source.

Well, I would buy an electric Mustang if it was cheaper.  Right now they can produce an electric car for a reasonable price.

mustangluver

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 01:32:40 PM »
thierrys right unless your home was powered by say solar panels. but i dont think many of us have the money for that at the moment.

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 07:18:22 PM »
I would never buy an electric Mustang. Whatever power it gives a muscle car without the sound of a V8 would never be a muscle car.
It could be interesting if it was solar powered but if you have to plug it every night, that energy would still come from a non environmental friendly source.

Well, I would buy an electric Mustang if it was cheaper.  Right now they can produce an electric car for a reasonable price.
Reasonable - not even close. The initial costs are higher, range is limited and in five years when the battery needs replacing, that cost is over $4000. "If", and I use the word as intended, "if" all vehicles were magically converted to plug in the wall electric types, the US electric power grid could not handle the extra load. Estimates range from 4 to 8 times an increase in the electric supply to accomplish that. To get a full charge on a car's batteries takes about 12 hours. Also remember that solar does not work at night. Keep dreaming. Oh, and global warming/climate change is a hoax.
Jim

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
As to alternate type of vehicle power, continue the experiments. Many of my former co-workers at Ford Aerospace made battery powers cars, but read this -
http://www.carlustblog.com/2010/01/in-defense-of-the-gasolinepowered-internal-combustion-engine.html
Jim

Beeroxin

• Flog her hard, flog her often
  • Mustang: 90' fox bod
  • Daily driver: me foxy
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 12:48:13 PM »
actually thers a few people out ther powering thier cars with solar panels and its well more than enough juice for them to make the commute across la chicago and new york
as for the relying on the power grid it is true that your still using a non environmentally friendly power source but it does still greatly reduce the carbon footprint as it only take a fraction of the fossil fuel for the grid to power your car as does going to the gas station

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Did you know that C02 (carbon dioxide) is a natural gas in our air?  That's what you breathe out.  That's why there are trees and other plants.  In fact C02 takes up about 0.038% of our air space.  Now, if you are talking about carbon monoxide, then that's a whol 'nother ballgame.   

Beeroxin

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2010, 10:33:41 AM »
yes co2 is a natural element in our air but it can still be thrown out of balance and that balance does affect how our atmospher reflects or traps heat from the sun

Beeroxin

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2010, 10:43:43 AM »
also on the cost of the EV batteries just think, that battery, tires and brakes are about the only maintinence you would have to worry about for the life of the car oh right
dont forget ur windshield wiper fluid.
and its true range may be limited but for 1 its only limited by the engineers who so half assed engineer that car, i mean u cant tell me that thermal regenerative braking is the best they can do right now i can think of like four other things off the top of my head that would make it go alot further...
not that u would really need to though, 150-200 miles is alot more than wat 90 percent of the population drives in a day
now of course if ur goin on a road trip u might want somethin with a lil more range and a better charge time but how many of us go on road trips constantly?
annd on the note of charge times. a 12 hour charge time is wats need for an old school lead acitate battery which is super innefficient compared to a li-ion battery which only needs an hour or two to charge can be just as quickly charged with a solar panel and give the car a range of more than 200 miles:)

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »
Outside of dreaming in a science fiction world, there are a few laws of physics that cannot be violated. The conservation of energy being one that applies here. New batteries will charge at a faster rate, that is true. The tradeoff is that instead of charging at 15 amps for 12 hours, you will have to charge at 30 amps for 6 hours, 60 amps for 3 hours or 180 amps for one hour to get the same energy. Those are ballpark figures, but consider what is required. A battery that won't blow up at 180 amps per hour, wiring capable of carring 180 amps, connections that can handle 180 amps, etc. That is 21kw, and all that technology and infastructure to go 80 miles, because that's all the range you can get today.
Jim 

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
It's also my understanding that the range of a charge can only take you around 80 miles with today's batteries.  And, when you are on the road and run out of juice, where are you going to plug it in?  Are you going to carry  a generator in the trunk, then pull off the road and crank that gas powered generator up, then wait 12 hours while your batteries are being recharged?   ;D

Beeroxin

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
again lead acitate batteries are extremely inefficient example
while a lead acitate battery takes 12 hours to go from dead to full charge at such and such watt/hours thats because its only taking on a fraction of that energy while the rest is being lost to heat/friction at the atomic level
li-ion batteries take on a charge way faster and use way more of the energy even at the same watt/hour setting because they are that much more efficient
the drive for better efficiency is why newer and better batteries keep coming out
lead acitate(car batteries) being only 20% effecient at best and modern li-ion batteries being closer to 70% effecient
only if/when scientists and engineers perfect superconducters will we ever see a perfectly 100% effecient battery and only then can you apply the law of conservation of energy to modern technology

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 08:38:31 PM »
Bottom line.....right now any battery operated car can only be used as a cummuter car, and will have to be plugged in at night so you can make it to work and back if you are not that far from work.   Fair enough for those who fit that scenario.  That's not me, nor is it most of the population who drive more than those batteries will last in a 24 hour period day.  There just has to be a better solution than battery powered cars. 

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version