Author Topic: Drag strip  (Read 1485 times)

stang98

Drag strip
« on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
I took my car to the strip last night, my first time ever there. I ran three runs, none were amazing, something went wrong each time. My best time was a 15.8 and my best reaction time was a .225. My boyfriend went with me and his best time was a 14.5 but my reaction times killed his :D
I was wondering if any of you guys think weight might have to do with my times? I didn't take my spare tire out, my subs were left in my trunk and my wing weights quite a bit. I plan on going back in two weeks with all my weight gone, I will post and tell you guys how I did. I think for my first time i did well, could have done better but i did well.

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
Re: Drag strip
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »
Practice -

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:29:25 PM »
I took my car to the strip last night, my first time ever there. I ran three runs, none were amazing, something went wrong each time. My best time was a 15.8 and my best reaction time was a .225. My boyfriend went with me and his best time was a 14.5 but my reaction times killed his :D
I was wondering if any of you guys think weight might have to do with my times? I didn't take my spare tire out, my subs were left in my trunk and my wing weights quite a bit. I plan on going back in two weeks with all my weight gone, I will post and tell you guys how I did. I think for my first time i did well, could have done better but i did well.

If you are a beginner, Here is some worthwhile information worth reading before you go out again. 
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/beginner.htm

stang98

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
I think i ran badly mostly because I seriously could not drive around the water box and couldnt grab traction on the track, I did try and drive around though. Over all I had fun and I'm going back with less weight in the rear. My boyfriend ran 15s last time he went and this past time unloaded his spare tire and ran 14.5 in his 02 convertible gt. My worst run of the night was when I went up against him. I ran in the 17s because my car hit a rev limiter in 1st gear because of lack of traction. I am going to take old Lucky back and I will stomp his car a new one because my car is set up better for drag than his is so there really is no excuse for the times that I ran other than driver error I would suppose. It was my first time so I am actually proud of myself even though I know my times were very bad.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:28 AM »
Yeah, if you are running street tires, or even drag radials, you need to avoid that water trap.  It's not good for you or other drivers especially on nights where only beginners are racing.  Take about 5 lbs of air pressure out of your rear tires, and lose as much weight as you can.  I've even known drivers who took out the passenger and rear seats to lose some weight.  Moving the battery to the trunk is another trick.  After that, it's just a matter of Horsepower and suspension. 

stang98

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
My back seats are removed  ::) that was one of the first things i did with that car too. I love not having them its a excuse to drive by myself half the time  8)

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
Yeah, I remember you taking out the back seat.  Didn't you build a shelf back there?

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version