Author Topic: car covers  (Read 9145 times)

avidbowhunter

• Mustang: 05 gt convertible /burgundy/5 speed
  • Daily driver: only in nice weather!!!!
car covers
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
I'm picking up my 05 gt convertible this week in NC and trailering it back home to northern pa. I'm afraid of the junk or nicks that may get in or on it. Is there any car cover that will handle 70mph? Thanks, Jeff

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
Re: car covers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
You are better off towing without a car cover of any type due to the wind whipping it around especially at the rear. If anything, get a bra and tow the car by the front end to avoid the majority of 'road' nicks.
Jim

avidbowhunter

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »
You are better off towing without a car cover of any type due to the wind whipping it around especially at the rear. If anything, get a bra and tow the car by the front end to avoid the majority of 'road' nicks.
Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm going to trailer it home "naked'. I hope the roads are alright! Jeff

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 06:49:35 PM »
If nothing else, get some plywood,  saw it into 2 2X8 pieces, drill some holes in it, and tie the wood to the front and both sides.  That will prevent any rock damage.  This is assuming you are going to be trailering it.  If you arre simply going to use a two wheel car tower, then try to get the front up as far as possible.  Assuming it is a manual transmission you can tow it from the front, but if it is an automatic, then you will either have to tow it from the rear, or take the drive shaft off.    If it was mine, I would drive it back to PA.  Sounds like you are going to have someone with you, and if not, then get somebody to go with you to drive the other vehicle home. 

avidbowhunter

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »
It's a standard tranny, i'm trailering it because up where i live, right now there's about a foot of snow on the ground and salt ALL OVER THE ROADS!! I'm treating the car like i treat my harley. Garaged in winter till spring and only then after rain has washed the salt off the roads and there's no more chance of snow. I'm renting a u-haul trailer down in NC so i only tow it one way($$). I tought about trying to put plywood or something in front of the car. I'll take some with me in the back of my truck and see if they'll let me jimmy rig some thing. Thanks for the reply.  Jeff :)

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »
Take a battery operated drill and some rope with you.  Jury rig it after you leave the U-Haul place.  That's a 3650 5 speed tranny in that vert.  If you go from 2nd to 3rd gear real fast, as in racing it, you will hit a wall.  In other words, it won't go into 3rd gear.  Ford spent over 1,000 dollars putting in beefed up syncronizers  a Steeda Tri-X shifter, and a beefed up clutch plate to solve the problem with my 03 Mach1.  Hopefully, Ford fixed that problem before 05, but maybe not.  If you find that to be the case with yours, and it is still under warranty, raise holy hell with them until they fix it.  That's what I had to do.  I just kept going up the chain of command until I got a regional supervisor to OK the repair. 

avidbowhunter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »
Hey, thanks for the note about the tranny! I sure hope they fixed that!!!! I'm also the same guy who sent you notes about a deluxe or premium. Let's bury the hatchet!! We have things in common to write about and it's not worth arguing! Here's an olive branch out to ya! By the way, i'm trailering the car home on Friday. I like the idea of doing the plywood trick away from the u-haul dealer!!!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »
Olive branch accepted.  Do some digging, and see if Ford has that tranny on its' recall record.  The warranty on mine was 36 months, or 36,000 miles.  I haven't reached 36,000 miles yet, but 36 months was a few years back.  I keep getting these extended warranty offers, but I haven't taken any of them.  If you hit a wall going from 2nd to 3rd, you may want to take out an extended warranty, then get it fixed if there has been no recall from Ford; or raise holy hell like I did.  The mechanic at my Ford house verified my problem, so that will be a must if you go that route. 

avidbowhunter

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I checked my vin on car fax and the only recall was for a pass. side airbag. Would the tranny recall show up on car fax if ford sent out a re-call? Sure seems so. I was thinking about getting an extended warranty too. Mine is an 05 with 15632 miles. Mileage is ok for warranty but age is past 3 years! I'll check the car out and if it it shifts hard going into 3rd, the warranty question will come out!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 07:25:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I checked my vin on car fax and the only recall was for a pass. side airbag. Would the tranny recall show up on car fax if ford sent out a re-call? Sure seems so. I was thinking about getting an extended warranty too. Mine is an 05 with 15632 miles. Mileage is ok for warranty but age is past 3 years! I'll check the car out and if it it shifts hard going into 3rd, the warranty question will come out!
OK, getter dun.....

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »
A friend is shipping a car to Arizona today and the best advice is to put mud flaps on the tow car, cause that's where most of the rocks come from. The second suggestion was a bra, third was to put several layers of shrink wrap over the winshield.
Jim

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »
A friend is shipping a car to Arizona today and the best advice is to put mud flaps on the tow car, cause that's where most of the rocks come from. The second suggestion was a bra, third was to put several layers of shrink wrap over the winshield.
Jim
Not sure how shrink wrap would go over a windshield, but some cardboard and duct tape may do the trick for protecting the windshield.  Hey, I am a redneck, and use duct tape on almost everything that I can't  buy.  ;D

avidbowhunter

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I checked my vin on car fax and the only recall was for a pass. side airbag. Would the tranny recall show up on car fax if ford sent out a re-call? Sure  ;D for warranty but age is past 3 years! I'll check the car out and if it it shifts hard going into 3rd, the warranty question will come out!
OK, getter dun.....
Yeah  buddy......

avidbowhunter

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:46 PM »
Jim
I have mud flaps on my truck. I was thinking the same way about them protecting the towed vehicle.
Not sure how shrink wrap would go over a windshield, but some cardboard and duct tape may do the trick for protecting the windshield.  Hey, I am a redneck, and use duct tape on almost everything that I can't  buy.  ;D

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:12 AM »
To shrinkwrap the windshield - open doors; wrap windshield thru doors several times; close doors.
Jim

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 02:53:06 AM »
haha/\ just shrink wrap the entire car :P

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 02:57:50 AM »
Or invest in aluminum foil and wrap the whole car in it.  :)

crzylx

• Mustang: 2007 Mustang GT
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
That would be pretty cool to see a shrink wrapped mustang drive go by on a trailer.

avidbowhunter

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 05:35:07 PM »
Or invest in aluminum foil and wrap the whole car in it.  :)

GREAT NEWS!!! I AM BORROWING AN 18' ENCLOSED TRAILER FROM A FELLOW HARLEY RIDER!!!!!!! WHAT A RELIEF!!!!! ;D

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
That would be pretty cool to see a shrink wrapped mustang drive go by on a trailer.
Take a good look at many of the new cars delivered on trailers. The windows are covered with an adhesive backed material to protect them. If you pull a car on an open trailer or car dolly, a couple of layers of shrink wrap would be good inexpensive protection. If you want to tempt the elements, road debris or potential vandals, don't use it.
Jim

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu