Author Topic: 65 spinners for OE wheel covers  (Read 9957 times)

65springtime

• Mustang: 1965 Coupe
65 spinners for OE wheel covers
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
Can the repro spinners work on the OE hubcaps on my 65 Mustang? Or do I have to buy new hub caps? I would like to get some for my standard wheel covers. Also, the best place to get them. Thanks

RIP Glen

Joe AZ 2 PA

Re: 65 spinners for OE wheel covers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »
Most classic Mustang parts catalogs list them. They should work fine. . . .  8)

65springtime

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »
I have seen them on many classic Mustang parts shops for around $45.00 or so but did not know if they would fit of the hubcaps that came on these cars without the spinners. Thanks

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
Best way is to call the tool free number before placing the order and ask if the fit without having to modify the original wheel covers. . . . .  8)

65springtime

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:41:42 AM »
Yes, I will do that. By the way. The blue bulbs look great. I also replaced the blue lenses that the LED bulbs shine through. If you do not use clear or light colored bulbs you have to remove these.

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
Yes, I will do that. By the way. The blue bulbs look great. I also replaced the blue lenses that the LED bulbs shine through. If you do not use clear or light colored bulbs you have to remove these.

That's great. I'll have to make a decision soon about my lights. I know the original's leave a lot to be desired for night driving at my age. . . .  8)

65springtime

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »
Just make sure you mark all the wires befor you take them out and draw a picture of the back of the gage showing where the bulbs go and the number of the bulb as you put on the wires. It is a bugger getting the speedo cable unhooked but you have to come up from the driver side of the steering wheel and have the gage tilted forward. It would be much easier if the steering wheel was off and the front seat was out. It is also hard putting the new bulbs into the back of the gages. Kinda tricky. The steering wheel is really in the way to make it easy. But what fun is it if it is easy....  ::)

65springtime

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »

That's great. I'll have to make a decision soon about my lights. I know the original's leave a lot to be desired for night driving at my age. . . .  8)

What I meant to say there was - If you use clear or light colored Led's you will have to take out the blue plastic in front of where the new bulbs go. I put new ones in because a couple of the ones were discolored from the heat of the standard bulbs but will not or should not be bothered with the LED's. John

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
Thanks John. Glad you like the outcome. I was also leaning towards the blue. . . . .  8)

65springtime

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
I found this on another fourm. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/436227-can-spinners-added-standard-65-hubcaps.html

Sounds easy enough. Are you going for it? I think they fit the style of the car very well since you're staying stock. . . . .  8)

65springtime

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
The hubcaps that are now on the car are standard without spinners. I have a set with spinners but my hubcaps are in a lot better shape. I took the spinners off the spinner hubcaps and going to have them rechromed. To your question-yes I think I will try this but at a latter date.

65springtime

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
OK, I took the spinners off and took out the red, blue and white caps. I took real fine steel wool and took off what paint that was left on the caps and repainted them. Looks like new. Also took my time and repainted the hubcaps and they too look like new except for some really small dents and a little scratch here and there. I will be taking the spinners next week to see what it will cost to rechrome.  John

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
Good for you John. Hope you get a good deal on the rechroming. . .  8)

65springtime

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
I got on their web site and the price to rechrome spinners start at $65.00 and up each. So I think I will be going with California Mustangs new1965-66 standard spinner assembly that also includes the red,white and blue center caps. $235.25 for the set. Says these are for the Standard Wheel Covers. But will have to save up a few $$$.

www.cal-mustang.com      Page 88 in the catalog

I am thinking these are for the Standard Wheel Covers that I now have on the car.

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
Good call. . . . .  8)

65springtime

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
These are the ones that they say will fit our standard hubcaps.
http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-4579.html

These are under Wheels or Hubcaps in the classic section-Part# 99266
Page# 23 in book.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links