Forum > Mustang Discussions

1989 5.0... what's it worth?

<< < (6/8) > >>

Konrad:
Ford said that to install the aftermarket aluminum quadrant would take 3.5 hours labour. they said to install the original would be 6.5 hours. The difference being that with the original they have to take everything apart but otherwise they would just cut out the old quadrant and install the other one. I'm mechanically inclined but I really don't like working under dashes. The haynes manual is talking about removing the steering wheel and the instrument panel and dropping the steering column and the whole assembly that the pedal is mounted to. Doesn't sound like something I have time for. Can it be easier than that in reality?

rmodel65:

--- Quote from: Soaring on November 21, 2008, 02:51:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: rmodel65 on November 20, 2008, 11:15:54 PM ---you pretty much just get under the dash and break the old quadrant off. its not hard but it is very aggravating

--- End quote ---
Or, you can do it right and take the clutch pedal off and work from there.  :)

--- End quote ---

nah glen on the these foxes the quadrant isnt at the top of the pedal. its has a bar in between the pedal and the pedal and quadrant. idk why the haynes manual says to drop the steering column? i imagine if you had to replace it with the stock plastic you might need to. you dont need to just, remove the seat put the towels down over the front seat studs. you look up over the gas pedal and, find the old quadrant. i guess you could cut it off with a sazall blade iirc i used some pliers and just broke the plastic off. this might take you all of an hour to do.

Soaring:

--- Quote from: rmodel65 on November 21, 2008, 10:53:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: Soaring on November 21, 2008, 02:51:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: rmodel65 on November 20, 2008, 11:15:54 PM ---you pretty much just get under the dash and break the old quadrant off. its not hard but it is very aggravating

--- End quote ---
Or, you can do it right and take the clutch pedal off and work from there.  :)

--- End quote ---

nah glen on the these foxes the quadrant isnt at the top of the pedal. its has a bar in between the pedal and the pedal and quadrant. idk why the haynes manual says to drop the steering column? i imagine if you had to replace it with the stock plastic you might need to. you dont need to just, remove the seat put the towels down over the front seat studs. you look up over the gas pedal and, find the old quadrant. i guess you could cut it off with a sazall blade iirc i used some pliers and just broke the plastic off. this might take you all of an hour to do.

--- End quote ---
OK, if the foxes are different from the 02 GT's then I don't have any reason to be giving out any information here.  But, I cannot imagine that you would have to remove the steerign column to replace the quadrant with an aftermarket aluminum one. 

Konrad:
The quadrant has been replaced so that was indeed the problem. Took about 2 hours. Thanks guys.

Soaring:

--- Quote from: Konrad on November 25, 2008, 08:13:51 PM ---The quadrant has been replaced so that was indeed the problem. Took about 2 hours. Thanks guys.

--- End quote ---
Wonderful.  Glad to see it worked out for you. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version