Forum > Mustang Discussions

1989 5.0... what's it worth?

<< < (5/8) > >>

rmodel65:
yea its possible that the cable broke, you need to crawl up under the dash and see if the stock quadrant is in place or an aftermarket. if its the stock quadrant you want to go with this setup, stock(buy it from ford) clutch cable, a maximum motorsports alum quadrant, and the maximum motorsports firewall adjuster. this is the most reliable setup you can buy and is easy to adjust.

the stock quadrant is a pain to remove i suggest removing the drvers seat and taking a few folded over towel and lat them over the seat mounting studs for inspection. looking up near the gas pedal you will find the quadrant located

http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximum-motorsports-clutch-quadrant.html

firewall adjuster:  http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=500

Konrad:
update on that last post. I talked to local dealership and they said this was a common problem on these cars because the self adjuster was made of plastic. Most people apparently replace the adjuster quadrant with an aluminum one that is cheaper, stronger, and easier to replace. Sound about right?

Soaring:
 If you have mechanical savvy, you can replace the cable yourself, otherwise take it to the Ford dealer to replace it.  I replaced the quadrant and cable on my Nephew's 02 GT with an adjustable one you can adjust from the firewall and it was kinda neat to be able to adjust his clutch cable to meet his leg needs.  Yeah, the billet aluminum one is the ticket. 

rmodel65:
you pretty much just get under the dash and break the old quadrant off. its not hard but it is very aggravating

Soaring:

--- Quote from: rmodel65 on November 20, 2008, 11:15:54 PM ---you pretty much just get under the dash and break the old quadrant off. its not hard but it is very aggravating

--- End quote ---
Or, you can do it right and take the clutch pedal off and work from there.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version