Author Topic: 1989 5.0... what's it worth?  (Read 39355 times)

Konrad

• Global Moderator
  • Mustang: 2007 GT 5 speed
  • Daily driver: that is my daily driver
1989 5.0... what's it worth?
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »
I have a chance at getting a 1989 5.0 hatchback with 189,000 KM (117,000 Miles) through someone I know who manages a dealership who got it as a trade-in. He'd like to know tomorrow if I'll take it because otherwise it's going to his wholesaler. He's just giving me a first shot at it. I have driven it and looked at it a little. It has a 5-speed, which seems to operate just fine. Clutch seems stiff but it is still easy to drive. Is this normal for these cars? It also has the following mods on it:
-MSD distributor/wires
-Edelbrock heads
-headers
-BBK single stage induction with same brand CAI.
-Cobra wheels and bodykit
From driving it seems to drive smoothly, it's very loud so most likely not stock exhaust either. Seems to track straight.
It has the following wrong with it:
-It has been in an accident and rebuilt. Apparenly it is straight and it would have had to be re-inspected for it to have been allowed on the road. Am I correct in thinking the car is probably fine but it will affect the resale value?
-E-brake does not work at all.
-only 2 rear defrost wires work
-Tires need replacing which doesn't surprise me after driving it.. lol.

I live in BC, Canada (near vancouver) does anyone have any kind of ballpark idea of what it's worth? Asking prices for these cars I've seen, seem to range from $4000-$8000. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
-Konrad

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: 1989 5.0... what's it worth?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:43:49 PM »
According to Kelley Blue Book....
Private Party value
LX Sports Sedan
Good condition
117,000 miles
Air conditioned
AM/FM stereo
5 Speed

$1,410.00 USD

Now, that one  has some add ons that will increase the value somewhat, but not by much.  So, 4K bucks or more is way out of line. 
A 1989 Mustang is not a collector's car, so that aspect will not add to the cost.  I realize that the Kelley figure is just a ballpark figure, and that the man can ask anything he wishes, but more than double the existing price is just price gouging.

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:48:53 PM »
I've looked on three different classifieds; Craigslist, Buy and Sell, and autotrader.ca and $1400 is what i'm seeing people ask for 4cylinders, but all the 5.0s seem to be much higher. Thanks for the help though.. btw, is the Kelley Blue book for the US or for Canada?

Thanks
-Konrad

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:53:45 PM »
The prices are in USD.  Look it up.  Craigslist is not a true thermometer regarding used cars.  Price gouging takes place whenever it says Mustang, or Porsche, etc.  A 1989 Mustang 5.0 is nothing special, but because it is a Mustang, folks seem to be ready to pay more than it is really worth. 

http://www.Kelleybluebook.com 

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:05 AM »
the 89 is imho the most wanted of the 87-93 cars because it has the mass air system for easy mods and still has the tilt steering wheel(no air bag)

if its a salvage car then it hurts the value significantly, your gonna want to look at it find out how much it will cost to be reinspected etc then offer. imho it sounds like a 1500-2500(tops because of the wreck history) the dealership will be glad to sell it for that too, they probably gave maybe 200 tops actually for the car in trade

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
Finding a 3rd gen Mustang with a V8 for $1400 might be possible in the States but certainly not in Canada. I read local ads regularly and $4000 is a minimum and it won't be a rust free one, especially in the Eastern coast.
Konrad, if you are not too far from the border, it will be more interesting for you to get it in the States.

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. It does not need to be reinspected since that has already happened long ago. I believe it was the owner before the last owner that had this accident. Anyhow, I did go through with the deal so it's sitting in my garage now. Here's a few pics of it. I'll have to do a bit of work here and there so I'll let you know if I need help.

-Konrad

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »
It seems to be in very condition. Did you check the floors? It's the first place to go on them.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:38:54 PM »
It does seem to be in exceptional condition for an '89.  OK, fess up now.  How much did you pay for it? :o

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 12:25:34 AM »
I replaced the e-brake today because it was jammed up. There seems to be hardly any rust underneath at all. I do live on the west coast in mild Vancouver so it's not bad. Floors seem to be fine. Apparently it is actually a Cobra according to the vin even though the side skirting says GT. I paid about $3000 CDN for it.

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:17 AM »
all GTs of the fox body style are titled as Cobra GTs north of the US border info below:

Every once in a while someone comes on and asks, "why does my title say Cobra?", or other various questions.

Mustangs exported to Canada can be identified by unique DSO (district sales office) codes on the car’s certification label (door tag). The DSO code can be found on the lower right-hand side of the tag. All Mustangs destined for sale in Canada were assigned one of the following 2 digit DSO codes starting with the letter “B” and ending in a number:

B1 - Central - Ford of Canada (covering portions of Ontario)

B2 - Eastern - Ford of Canada (covering portions of Ontario and Quebec)

B3 - Atlantic - Ford of Canada (covering Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and portions of Quebec)

B4 - Midwestern - Ford of Canada (covering Manitoba and portions of Saskatchewan)

B6 - Western - Ford of Canada (covering Alberta and portions of Saskatchewan)

B7 - Pacific - Ford of Canada (covering British Columbia)

B8 - Great Lakes - Ford of Canada (covering portions of Ontario)

(Note: B5 was apparently not used.)

An important point to note is that there were no VIN (vehicle identification number) differences between U.S. Mustangs and Mustangs exported to Canada. Therefore, the most reliable way to identify a Mustang exported to Canada is through the DSO code on the certification label (the DSO code can also be found on the car's build sheet and 1982-mid 1991 owner's warranty card).

As we already mentioned, all 1982-1993 Mustangs exported to Canada received certain equipment that differed slightly from their U.S. counterparts. These were, however, primarily superficial differences and for the most part, the cars were structurally identical to each other.

All 1982-1993 Mustangs sold in Canada received:

Metric speedometers – with kilometers per hour as the primary numerals displayed and miles per hour as the secondary numerals. The max speed displayed on these speedometers changed over the years as follows:

* 1982-1986 – max display 180 km/h

* 1987-1988 - max display 180 km/h

* 1989-mid 1990 - max display 200 km/h

* mid 1990-1993 - max display 220 km/h

Rear window defrosters as standard equipment for hatchbacks (optional equipment in U.S. except in New York state where it was also standard equipment)

Road abrasion / lower vinyl bodyside protection – this is additional corrosion protection applied at the factory to protect against rock chips and help prevent rust along the bottom of the car and includes the application of vinyl / urethane underneath the paint along the lower sides of the body – cars that received this treatment had an ”RA” stamped on the buck tag and received a second buck tag that said “Road Abrasion” – lower vinyl bodyside protection was optional equipment on 1982-1986 U.S. Mustangs, but became standard equipment on all Mustangs from 1987-1993

Day time running lights (mid 1990 and newer cars) – in an attempt to help prevent accidents, new legislation was passed by the government of Canada sometime prior to mid 1990 that required day time running lights on all cars sold in Canada

English / French language window sticker and specifications (and other) decals

Different emissions equipment (this is currently unconfirmed) – numerous people have reported to us that the Canadian Mustangs received slightly different emissions equipment than U.S. Mustangs, however we cannot confirm this right now as no one has been able to give us any specific information on these differences and which years were involved – a comparison of build sheets in our files from both Canadian and U.S. GT’s turned up NO emissions equipment code differences between the two (at least from 1982-1986, we have very few build sheets from 1987-1993), yet differences do show up when comparing build sheets for the differences in the emissions systems between California vs. the other 49 U.S. states

Other commonly seen differences between Canadian and US Mustangs:

Many Canadian Mustangs were equipped with a factory engine block heater (the factory engine block heater was a “limited production option” meaning it was not available as an option in some U.S. states)

In addition to the differences listed above relating to all Canadian-export Mustangs, 1982 Mustang GT’s that originally sold in Canada had another difference from the 1982 Mustang GT’s sold in the U.S. – more engine choices. There has always been some uncertainty regarding engines available in U.S.-sold 1982 Mustang GT’s. Engines listed as available for Mustangs in general in the U.S. 1982 Ford Mustang sales brochures were the 2.3L 4 cylinder (non-turbo), 3.3L 6 cylinder, 4.2L V-8 and 5.0L HO V-8. The August 1981 and January 1982 U.S. Ford Mustang sales brochures are both ambiguous and contradictory about which engines are available in the Mustang GT - the August 1981 brochure says that the 2.3L engine is standard in the GT yet the January 1982 brochure states that the 2.3L is not available at all in the GT. However, we have seen other U.S. Ford dealer ordering literature and window stickers that indicate that the U.S. 1982 Mustang GT was only available with two engines – the 5.0L HO as standard equipment with the 4.2L V-8 optional (for a $57 credit on the window sticker). One thing we are certain of is that most U.S. 1982 GT’s did come equipped with the 5.0L engine.

Information available regarding the engine choices for the 1982 Canadian Mustang GT is even less clear. One thing we do know, however, is that 1982 Canadian Mustangs received one more engine choice that was not available on any U.S. Mustangs in 1982 – a 2.3L turbocharged 4 cylinder (engine code “T” - eighth digit in VIN). The August 1981-dated Canadian Mustang sales brochure does not specifically state all of the engines that were available in the ’82 GT, however it implies that the 2.3L non-turbo engine is standard and specifically lists the 5.0L HO V-8 and the 2.3L turbocharged 4 cylinder as optional engines. It is known that Canadian ’82 GT’s were also sold with the 4.2L V-8, but is unknown whether any were actually equipped with the 3.3L 6 cylinder or the 2.3L non-turbocharged 4 cylinder. It appears that most Canadian 1982 GT’s came with the 5.0L V-8 (as in the United States), but it also appears that a much higher percentage of Canadian 1982 GT’s than U.S.-sold GT’s came with an alternative engine. We have numerous Canadian 1982 GT’s in the registry database equipped with either the 2.3L turbocharged 4 cylinder or the 4.2L V-8. The Canadian '82 GT window stickers we have seen do not list any engine as standard equipment with the GT and instead list the engine as a separate cost option (i.e. the 5.0L HO engine lists as a $627.90 option).

One thing we would like to point out is that it is technically not correct to refer to the Canadian 1982 Mustang GT equipped with the turbo 2.3L by the name “Turbo GT” (like the ’83 and ’84 Mustang Turbo GT’s). While the ’83 and ’84 Turbo GT’s were marketed as a separate model from the regular V-8 Mustang GT’s in Ford literature, the turbo 2.3L engine was simply another engine choice for the Canadian ’82 Mustang GT (it was not marketed as a separate model).

To our knowledge, there were no differences between Canadian-exported and U.S. 1983 GT’s other than the ones listed above that apply to all 1983 Canadian Mustangs.

One other thing we are still checking out is the possible availability of some unique "GT" tape stripes that we have seen on two Canadian Mustang GT's (on a late 1982 GT and a 1983 GT). We still do not know much about this kit or its availability (i.e. whether it was only available on Canadian Mustang GT's or on both U.S. and Canadian GT's or whether it was a Ford dealer-installed option). Since we have only seen it on Canadian GT's, it seemed worth mentioning here in case anyone has any further information on it.

1984 – 1992 Mustang Cobra GT’s

While all 1982-1993 Canadian-export Mustangs did have slight differences from their U.S. counterparts, the biggest source of confusion for most people always seems to be regarding the 1984-1992 Canadian Mustang GT’s due to the addition of the word “Cobra” to their name by Ford of Canada.

First of all, let’s get the proper terminology straight, because this is the key to generating the least amount of confusion about these cars… all 1984–1992 Mustang GT’s sold in Canada were marketed as “Mustang Cobra GT’s” by Ford. Hopefully by using ”Canadian Mustang Cobra GT” or “Cobra GT” for short, people will not be confused by other “Cobras” produced by Ford including the 1979-1981 Mustangs equipped with the Cobra package and the 1993-up SVT Cobras (more on these models later in the article).

The term “Cobra GT” is found in 1984-1992 Canadian Ford sales brochures and other Ford-produced literature in place of the term “GT” used in U.S. Mustang literature. In addition, the words “Mustang Cobra GT” were also used on the window stickers of all 1984-1992 GT’s sold in Canada. The term “Cobra GT” was a direct replacement for the word “GT” in Ford of Canada Mustang literature during this time period. Interestingly, no other Mustang models such as the L, GL, GLX, LX, LX 5.0L Sport or Turbo GT received a different name in Canada. Canadians report that this “Mustang Cobra GT” terminology is also used when registering and insuring these cars in Canada. Canadian owners have also told us that even though Ford did not call the 1982-1983 and 1993 Mustang GT's "Cobra GT's", this terminology mistakenly shows up for 1982-1983 and 1993 Mustang GT's in insurance databases.

The addition of the “Cobra” name leads many people to believe that these cars have additional performance equipment or special features over a regular U.S. GT, but that is NOT the case. The bottom line is 1984-1992 Canadian Cobra GT’s are simply the Canadian version of the U.S.-sold 1984–1992 Mustang GT. The difference is in NAME only; there are NO fundamental differences between the Canadian and U.S. GT models. Performance-wise, the 1984-1992 Canadian Cobra GT’s were absolutely no different than their American GT counterparts (including horsepower figures, available engines, transmissions and suspensions). This fact has been verified through a number of sources including the comparison of Canadian vs. U.S. Ford sales brochures and individual car’s build sheets and window stickers.

1985-1991 Cobra GT Decals

The one and only external cosmetic difference between the Canadian Cobra GT and the U.S. GT was the addition of a “Cobra” decal to the rear of the car affixed either to the spoiler, hatch or trunk lid. These Cobra decals apparently were only affixed to 1985-1991 Cobra GT’s (not to the 1984 or 1992 models).

From 1985 to 1991, Cobra decals on Cobra GT’s came in two different colors and two different sizes. The color of the decal that each car came with was determined primarily by the color of the car and possibly the color of the body molding stripe (’87-’89) and the color of the interior. The decals came in silver or orange/red.

Decal size and placement was as follows:

1982-1993 Canadian Mustang GT's - Click for a bigger version

1982 Canadian GT turbo 4 cylinder

1985 Canadian Cobra GT's
Canadian Mustang Certification Labels (Door Tags) - Click for a bigger version

1988 certification label (note "B7" DSO code)

1988 certification label (note "B1" DSO code)

1990 certification label (note "B1" DSO code)
Metric speedometers - Click for a bigger version

1986 metric speedometer

1988 metric speedometer

1990 metric speedometer
Road Abrasion Protection Info - Click for a bigger version

Early '80's Mustangs with road abrasion protection have two buck tags - the top one ("RA" on the fourth line stands for road abrasion) and the bottom one that simply says "ROAD ABRASION"

Description of road abrasion protection from 1985 Canadian sales brochure
Miscellaneous Canadian Mustang info - Click for a bigger version

1988 Canadian transport decal (affixed to drivers door above certification label)

1986 Canadian Mustang Cobra GT build sheet
1982 Canadian Mustang GT info - Click for a bigger version

1982 Canadian Mustang GT sales brochure pages (note the engines listed as available)

1982 Canadian Mustang GT window sticker (note items marked by arrows on big version)
1982 Canadian Mustang GT turbo 4 cylinder info - Click for a bigger version

1982 Canadian Mustang GT turbo 4 cylinder (note the word "Turbo" on hood sccop)

1982 Canadian Mustang GT turbo 4 cylinder buck tag - "T" engine code on second line (between "61B" and "TR") and "GT" on fifth line confirms this is a factory turbo 4 cylinder equipped GT

1982 Canadian Mustang GT turbo 4 cylinder emissions sticker (English/French)

1982 Canadian Mustang GT turbo 4 cylinder - turbo light on dash

Production variance (?) for rear badges on two different 1982 Canadian Mustang GT turbo 4 cylinders - top car has "Mustang GT" - bottom car has "Turbo GT"
1982-1983 Tape Stripes - Click for a bigger version

Unusual tape stripes on late 1982 Canadian GT

Unusual tape stripes on 1983 Canadian GT
1984-1992 Canadian Cobra GT Info - Click for a bigger version

1990 Canadian Cobra GT window sticker (note items marked by arrows on big version)

1984 Canadian sales brochure pages (note use of "Cobra GT")

1989 Canadian sales brochure pages (note use of "Cobra GT")

1992 Canadian sales brochure pages (note use of "Cobra GT")

1985 Cobra GT – Cobra decal (in very large letters) placed in the center of the rear spoiler on hatchbacks (placement on convertibles is currently unknown) – the decal was very similar in design to those decals found on the 1980-1981 Cobra package (more on that later). A normal size “Mustang GT” decal was placed on the left side of the hatch / trunk (same as on U.S. Mustang GT’s).

1986 Cobra GT – Cobra decal (in smaller letters than in 1985) moved to the left side of the rear spoiler on hatchbacks due to the new third brake light (placement on convertibles is currently unknown). A chrome Mustang emblem (as used on LX Mustangs) was placed on the left side of the hatch / trunk. Oddly, this chrome emblem was used in place of the “Mustang GT” decal used on U.S. Mustang GT’s.

1987-1991 Cobra GT – Cobra decal (in the same size as the 1986 decal) moved to the left side of the hatch for hatchbacks and the trunk for convertibles (not on the spoiler like on ’85-’86 Cobra GT’s). The words “Mustang GT” were embossed in the rear bumper cover the same as on the U.S. GT’s.

We have been told that replacement Cobra GT decals are still available from Canadian Ford dealers. Reproduction Cobra GT decals can be also be found for sale from a number of Mustang vendors such as Latemodel Restoration Supply, Texas Mustang Parts, Mustangs Unlimited and Jim Osborn Reproductions. However, there does seem to be an inconsistency with the reproduction decals. While all the vendors list two different types - 1984-1986 and 1987-1991 (in both silver and red), our research indicates that 1984 Cobra GT’s did not come with decals and that the 1985 decal differed in size from the 1986-1991 decals (see the descriptions above).

One thing that people can’t seem to agree on is whether the decals were affixed to the cars at the factory or at the dealerships. A lot people we’ve heard from assume that the decals were put on after the cars arrived at the dealership since some 1985-1991 Cobra GT’s do not have a Cobra decal. However, the lack of a decal could also be explained by other reasons such as not being replaced after repainting or simply being removed by the owner. We are inclined to believe that the decals were affixed at the factory as all the other decals and emblems were on these cars (even the Canadian-specific specifications decals). We are still looking for definitive proof of this one way or the other.

Why was the “Cobra” name used on Canadian GT’s?

The one big question that we still unfortunately have no answer to is “why in the world was the Cobra name added only to 1984-1992 Canadian GT’s?” We've seen a few theories kicked around about this topic, yet we've never seen any "official" explanation. Even contacts at Ford of Canada are unable to give an answer to this question.

The explanation we've frequently seen is that Ford had to release a car using the "Cobra" name every so often or they would lose the rights to use the name on any of their cars. Apparently, there were a number of others waiting in the wings to grab the rights to use the name including Carroll Shelby (who was the first to use the name in the first place) and Tom Solomon (builder of the 1983-1986 Predator Mustangs).

We have also heard unconfirmed reports that the Cobra name could not be used on U.S. models by Ford at the time because there was an on-going dispute with Carroll Shelby about using the Cobra designation (there is information on Shelby's web site about the lawsuit Shelby brought against Ford for using "GT350" on the '84 20th anniversary cars but there was no mention of a lawsuit about the "Cobra" name.)

One other explanation that has been offered is that the Cobra name was added to Canadian GT’s as a marketing ploy to boost sales in Canada. While any of the above theories and rumors may make sense, we cannot say for sure why the Cobra name was used for 1984-1992 Canadian GT’s.

1985-1991 Cobra Decals - Click for a bigger version

Cobra decal on 1985 Cobra GT hatchback in red

Cobra decal on 1986 Cobra GT hatchback in red (note chrome "Mustang" emblem, not "Mustang GT" decal)

Cobra decal on 1987 Cobra GT hatchback in silver

Cobra decal on 1988 Cobra GT convertible in silver

Cobra decal on 1988 Cobra GT hatchback in silver

Cobra decal on 1989 Cobra GT convertible in red

Cobra decal on 1990 Cobra GT convertible in red

Other Third Generation Mustang Cobras

True Mustang fans know that Ford has used the Cobra name in conjunction with Mustangs many times since the 1960’s. In fact, Ford used the Cobra name a couple of other times on third generation Mustangs besides on the 1984-1992 Canadian Cobra GT’s.

1993 Mustang SVT Cobra - Of course, most people are aware of the 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra, a limited edition Mustang produced by Ford’s Special Vehicles Team (SVT). The 1993 SVT Cobra received special performance equipment (including a GT-40 equipped 5.0L, a handling-oriented suspension and manual-only transmission) as well as some unique visual items (such as unique taillights, spoiler, wheel design and distinctive “Cobra” badging). The 1993 SVT Cobra was only available in hatchback form in three colors (Teal, Red and Black). The GT-40 equipped 5.0L came with a different intake, heads, cam and other assorted items which was good for 235 horsepower, 30 more than the 205 horsepower-rated 1993 GT 5.0L. The 1993 SVT Cobra can be identified by the eighth digit in the VIN - engine code “D” (235 hp 5.0L) vs. the 1993 GT’s engine code “E” (205 hp 5.0L). The 1993 SVT Cobra was not available for sale in Canada (Ford of Canada did not participate in the SVT sales program until 1996).

1979-1981 Cobra package - The other third generation Mustang “Cobra” produced by Ford was actually an option package available on 1979-1981 Mustangs. The 1979-1981 Cobra package, offered on base hatchback models (non-Ghia), was primarily a graphics/cosmetic package with a few performance enhancements thrown in for good measure. The Cobra package equipment included: turbocharged 2.3L (with optional 5.0L V-8 (’79) or 4.2L V-8 (’80-’81)); TRX suspension, wheels and tires; sport-tuned exhaust; Cobra graphics (with optional Cobra hood graphics or graphics delete (’81)); dual black remote side view mirrors; color-keyed quarter-window louvers; forward facing hood scoop (’79); Pace Car front spoiler with Marchal foglights; rear spoiler and rear facing hood scoop (’80-’81); external (’79-’81) and interior blackout treatment('80-'81). The 1980-1981 Cobra packages included large “Cobra” lettering in the center of the rear spoiler very similar to the 1985 Canadian Cobra GT. The 1979-1981 Cobra package was offered in both the U.S. and in Canada. The new 1982 Mustang GT replaced the 1981 Cobra in the Mustang model line-up.

Confusion Over Cobra Terminology

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of confusion related to using the term “Cobra” when talking about the 1984-1992 Canadian Cobra GT’s as most people are only aware of the 1993 SVT Cobra and/or the 1979-1981 Cobra package. We feel that this confusion can be cleared up by using more specific terms for each type of third generation Cobra produced by Ford: 1984-1992 Canadian Mustang “Cobra GT”, 1979-1981 Mustang “Cobra package” and the 1993 Mustang “SVT Cobra”.

We have heard many people argue that the only “real” third generation Mustang Cobra is the 1993 SVT Cobra but that would be an incorrect statement as all three types of third generation Cobras mentioned above were produced and given the Cobra name by Ford. Even though these are all totally different types of third generation “Cobra” Mustangs, each one has the right to be called by its “Cobra” name, regardless of horsepower, etc. People simply need to be educated on the differences (which, of course, is the purpose of this article).

1993 Canadian GT’s

Although 1993 Mustang GT’s were exported for sale in Canada, they did not receive an external “Cobra” decal and were no longer called Cobra GT’s on the window sticker or in Ford Mustang sales brochures. The Cobra designation was no longer used presumably to eliminate confusion between the Canadian GT models and the new 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra (which was not offered for sale in Canada). The 1993 Mustang GT’s sold in Canada still received the unique Canadian-export equipment including the metric speedometer (with the 220 km/h max speed reading), rear window defroster for hatchbacks as standard equipment, day-time running lights, etc

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
very interesting... that certainly clears up some confusion. anyone know what octane fuel this car should get?

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
I ran 87 before i started modding anything. i run 93 now i advanced the timing, it give more low end and mid range power(you will lose a little on the top end, but how often are you going 140 :P ) it will also give you more mpg and lower engine temps slightly

Wondering how to bump up your timing? http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141898

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »
I guess the problem is, I don't know exactly what has been done to it. Maybe the timing has been bumped up already. I can see the obvious bolt on parts but still don't know exactly.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »
Start out using 87 octane, and if it chatters when you stomp on it, kick it up to the 89 octane and advance your timing a degree or two.  You will eventually find the right combination.  BTW, $3,000 Canadian isn't too bad. 

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »
How bad are these cars in the winter. I don't have any problem with my '08 GT but I've heard strange stories about these 5.0s. Supposedly a friend of a friend of mine had one and even though he's good driver he spun out 12 times in a month in the rain. I think that sounds ludicrus... are they really that bad? I figure if you don't put your foot into it in the rain, then you'll coast around a turn like any other car.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
How bad are these cars in the winter. I don't have any problem with my '08 GT but I've heard strange stories about these 5.0s. Supposedly a friend of a friend of mine had one and even though he's good driver he spun out 12 times in a month in the rain. I think that sounds ludicrus... are they really that bad? I figure if you don't put your foot into it in the rain, then you'll coast around a turn like any other car.
A lot depends on which tires you have on it, but if it has an open rear end, then yes, they are lightr in the ass and tend to spin out.  Just take it easy in the rain and snow, and don't run Goodyear tires. 

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 06:54:45 PM »
It has Falken tires on it. I don't know anything about them. I'm almost positive it has 4.10 gears in the back... would that usually be an open diff or no?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »
It has Falken tires on it. I don't know anything about them. I'm almost positive it has 4.10 gears in the back... would that usually be an open diff or no?
No, and open rear end means that you only have one rear tire pulling, and that will be your passenger side rear tire.  Do a burn out and see if you leave one or two tire racing marks. A posi-traction (*chevy term) or Detroit locker  will have both of your rear wheels pulling at the same time.  The way to check the rear gear ratio can be explained by using a drive shaft turning ratio as to the wheel turning ratio.  If the tire turns twice while the drive shaft turns about twice, you have less than a 3.0 ratio.  If the tire turns about 3+ times while the drive shaft turns about 3+ times, you have a 3+ gear.  Most likely a 3.73. 
If it turns more that 4 times, then you may be right about the 4.10's.  It could be an open rear with 4.10 gears, but I can't imagine anyone going through all that trouble without upgrading the rear to both wheels pulling.  The only way to find out is to get aggressive.  Find a nice open road with a dry road and stomp on it from a dead standstill.  If you make two marks, you don't have an open rear end. 

Konrad

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »
I suddenly have a problem with this car. I went to drive somewhere with it and my clutch pedal broke i guess is the best way to describe it. I suspect it is the self adjuster on it that has a problem. had to get it towed home. Anyone have experience with this?

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version