Author Topic: 1973 Mach  (Read 23858 times)

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: 1973 Mach
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »
 Soda blasting will only remove paint and it won't harm the trim or the glass from the car. The problem is it won't remove rust or undercoating. For the underbody I would rather use sand and if you have it done by professionals, they should know what they are doing.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
  • I am part of the 2 percenters in America
    • http://www.geocities.com/mustangmafia_ky2/
  • Mustang: 1973 FORD MACH ONE
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »
Yeah when I talked to the guy he said that the soda would blast but it would take longer and since it double the price an hour I thank sand would work better brother. I am also look for the mustnag 500 rims if anyone knows thanks.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 03:28:47 PM »
Yeah, soda blasting will eventually get all the crud off, but sand would be faster.  Are you talking about Mag 500's?  If so, they only come in 14 and 15 inch wheels.  If you are thinking about big assed wheels on that Mach, then you need to go with Torque Thrusts or American Racing.  Personally, I think a nice set of 15" Mag 500's would be bitching on that Mach.  Here is what I have on my old 65 Yeller.  You can get them at a lot of the Mustang vendors. 

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
hey soaring you need to let me know how you made your stamp brother. I heard from someone on here and I think it was Race that was telling me that the 2V motor is easier to beef up rather than 4V. I don't know but would like to get some idea guys so I can get some more work I have down time so trying to keep it going now. I would liek to get a cam and the headers, I know...... comming from the guy always talking about factory, factory, but think that could help power and not be looked down. I have some more pics I am putting on here check them out. The inside pic was tken during the sanding process so forgive me for hte dirt on the glove box and floor board. STANG OUT

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 04:34:38 PM »
 Ebay also has some set of Mag 500 wheels. I also think they would look great on your 73.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
Yeah I found some on there and even had some that came with tires  but I might have to go 15 over my 14 soaring you are right too big would look bad. I have a set of 17's giving to me but they are too big and the factory thing comming back into play. I really think that would be another good addition to the car without anyone knowing whether it came with it or not. anything bests these bad boys

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
I found a few pics of underneath and it is said but hopefully you have seen worse and if not tell me you have anyways. Nah, it should look be taken care of after the sand blasting. What is great to spray it with after blasted? I know underbody spray, but what can you use to seal it and or is there somehting out there that is great for the wheel wells and front end. Rmember I have done nothing under her yet o be easy on me,lol. STANG OUT

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 08:30:49 AM »
Okay guys I guess it looked so bad no one wants to tell me huh lol. You won't hurt my feelings trust me I left them at the log in page, and would like to keep this rolling. thanks

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »
 I must have missed your pictures and it's always good to bump a topic :). The underneath doesn't seem bad at all and I don't see the need to sand blast it. Using sand paper would be the cheap way to go but it would take a lot of your time. I would say a good coating of POR15 on top of that rust should be enough to neutralize it.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 07:46:41 PM »
 well I figured I could drop a line until someone hit it up. I found a dude that was going to charge me about 50 and hour to blast with 2 hours quoted I figured why not. That is why I was trying to get info on the front end kit, mine is fine but after I get it blasted then I can change the upper and lowers and bushings and give it a good paint coat and call it a day.

I don't know how much work it will be after I get it blasted, but I think I could put down some primer and then undercoat for the main body and paint the rest. I already have undercoat on the main body there shouldn't be any rust under it in that case, RIGHT?

I am going out shopping for my house again tommorrow I hope all my brothers on here hold this site down until I get back and let you know where I am going to move my pony. STANG OUT

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 08:23:50 PM »
Russ, I concur with Thierry.  You have a lot of surface rust under there, but a good coat of a rust inhibitor such as POR 15, or Zero rust, or Rust Be Gone will stop the rust in it's tracks.  Then, after a few days of letting it dry completely, you will see that the metal parts that used to be rusty looking will be black and hard to the touch.  Now, since these products are also primers, all you have to do is hit it with color to prevent future rust and make it all blend in.    I would use semi-gloss black on the front area, and red oxide on the rear area like from the San Jose plant.   Or, what the hell, paint the entire chassis/undercarriage with a semi-gloss black except for the mufflers.  They should be silver.   ;D

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 07:55:33 AM »
Wouldn't make more sense to just blast all the rust away and then por it and paint it that way there is no rust, not just rust that is stopped. Should I scrap that undercoat off or not?

I have alot of rust like on the shocks and brake lines and I am sure you don't want to hit that brake lines with the sandblasting but I think it might be worth it in the long run to get the underneath cleaned up?

I am just thinking that covering the rust would hurt you in the long run. I know rust needs mosture to grow, but cannot that rust being stored in your frame weaken it?

School a brother.

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
If you are going to do it, do it right. Remove the plumbing and clean the affected area by what ever means possible; grind, blast, scrape, wire brush, paint remover, etc. Don't get into the habit of doing it twice. This ain't the military.
Jim

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »
I'm going to disagree Jim.  By using POR-15 you are not covering up the rust, you are chemically changing it to a stronger metal than before, and the rust will not come back.  There is no need to sand blast or scrape or wire wheel the rust.  Just make sure there is no loose material such as paint flakes.  If it is so bad that you need to take those steps, then the metal needs to be replaced with new metal.  Yes Russ.....scrape off all that damn undercoating crap, and don't put more back on.  Tar based undercoating gets old and cracks, causing water to get trapped between it and the metal then major rusting takes place.  The only undercoating I would recommend would be that pickup bed liner called Rhino.  Now, that shit ain't ever gonna crack, but it is expensive. 

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 08:57:48 AM »
Yeah, rhino ain't no joke, and just a good paint underneath of her will do... I will get that crap out of there

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »
Alright I was driving around in Louisville and walk apon a junk yeard for mustangs and found my lighter, which is dam near impossible to find anymore. I got it for next to nothing, but was upset when I found out that it was plastic and not metal, but that was 73 for you.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 08:29:39 AM »
As most of you guys know I was suppose to go back to Kansas and try to get her a little closer too finished. Well with Drill Sergeant School only three weeks out and the cost of Gas killing the World minus the Middle East, I deiced to stay home. I donít like to go back there and be rushed trying to get a part another 5% done only to leave her again.

I understand that is how you go about get a project done, but having it 750 miles really makes you spend a lot more time getting to her than you can spend on working on her. I know this might sound weird to the Average mustang lover but remember that my Wife bought me this car while I was in Iraq and I am the second owner, of a all factory car which is a big value in MY EYES.

I have asked for many opinions in the past, and I have gotten a lot of great help. I have even gone as far as trying to buy a home so I can get a garage for my car. I am still going to buy a home, but I have to wait until school is complete.

I will leave you with this for now without dreams we are Average and without goals we are looking for Dreams and without goals why are we here.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »
 The longer you wait to get her done the more you will love your Mustang when it will be done :)
It looks like you will need to patch the bottom of that rear quarter.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »
yeah I bought both patch panels and I am having them put on by someone that I really trust, so they should look great. the driver side is good but I got a better deal getting both so why not, right.......

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
 Are you going to install both? If there is no rust on the driver side it would be better to leave it as it is than cutting and welding a new reproduction patch.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version