Author Topic: 1973 Mach  (Read 23726 times)

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
  • I am part of the 2 percenters in America
    • http://www.geocities.com/mustangmafia_ky2/
  • Mustang: 1973 FORD MACH ONE
1973 Mach
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
okay guys I am going to crawl walk then run with this so bare with me. My wife bought this for me while I was in Iraq. You can see the trailer hitch, mud flaps and vinyl top, and of course the rust on the rear quarters. I am the second owner, the man who had bought it from the factory passed away and she bought it from his son. He used it for the longest time to trailer his golf cart about three miles down the road a few times a week to play golf. It only has 77k miles and is all factory. 351C 2V, FMX trans , and a 9 inch rearend 2.75:1 Standard Differential.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
Re: 1973 Mach
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
So I had to choose Factory or Custom? It wasn't really hard since it had not been beating to death like alot of older cars. My buddies told me to strip it and build it for the track but it had all the factory stickers and even the spare tires, I mean who has those anymore.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
 Yes I would choose factory. Unrestored original cars from the 60/70s are getting very rare and it would hurt to see it being abused on the track.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:51:56 PM »
 Okay, I am back I have spent alot of time away from my family here doing what some would say important Military work, but I would like to refer to it as.....! Anyways, I have been get things going with my car and I will be getting my patch panels done soon and my fender apron on. I have some more pics to put on here and really going to need everyone to pull together and share there fountain of Knowledge with me even if that fountain in your eyes might be dried up.

I am not proud to say that I had to have a buddy weld the panels on for me, it isn't due to a lack of knowledge but rather time and distance since my car is still in Kansas. I am not a fan of letting other people work on my car since I like to take pride when people ask where I got it done I like to hear myself say I DID IT. It might come across to some as cocky, but I love working on car, but Uncle sams says no.

I have started alot of I wouldn't say dumb post but no so smart ones on here and that is becasue I get pumped up when I find out new info about my car then I go into robonerd and start buring away power consumpsion just typing. I claim to know nothing about cars and that is why I like to throw pics and questions out like I am at a causes hoping to get the answer that suits me, but most of the time I get a long answer that leaves me looking for my dry socks in the rain.

I am in need of some good parts for my 351C 2V and someone to hook a brother up with some power steering knowledge, I know there are here I just have to find them. I will be on here as much as possible and hope to here some things good or bad about my car. I don't want anyone to thin they cannot tell me the flat out true about my car, I will still sleep at night and I won't cry ( atleast in front of you). In closing I want to send my love to PFC CHOI and PFC GILES you where great friends and better brothers and you didn't die in VAIN.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »
Sorry to hear of the loss of your buddies.  God Bless all our troops who are fighting to keep terrorism out of the United States.
Now as far as your 73 351 2V.  From what I could see from the pictures, you have a super car to restore to it's original factory condition.  You have to understand though, that by the time 1973 rolled around, the compression ratios dropped because the gas crunch was starting, and the tree huggers were starting to cry about polution, so the anti-polution devices were starting to be added. 
If it were mine, I would drive it like it is until the funds were available to restore the entire car, and that would include an overhaul of the engine to get rid of all that polution crap, and I would beef up the engine to say 10.1 to 1 compression ratio with some AFR 185 heads, put on a 4v intake and a decent carb .  That will make a great daily driver and it will still look original.  If you want some more take off power without destroying the original look, you could add some 3.73 gears.  With the price of gas, I would stay away from 4.10's. 
But, the first thing is to stop that rust.  Get the body repaired and painted before hitting the less expensive mechanics.  That will make a beautiful car in black with black interior. 

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:36:16 PM »
Yeah I have some news pics and the rust is no more. I have killed it and made sure it wouldn't be comming back. I notice alot of people that I know kill rust, but don't take the time to make sure it won't come back and that kills me. I will be getting those pics on here soon and cannot wait to get the finished product on here. STANG OUT

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »
What?  Did you use Por 15 or some other encapsulator on it after replacing the cancer with new metal?

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:24:40 PM »
Okay, so after I ripped the trailer hitch off and those very hot , not to mention rare mud flaps,lol. I had to come to a fork in the road I had alot to do and not much time. I knew that paint had to come off and rust had to leave so I began with the countless hours of sanding. I didn't think I would have got as much as I did in the time I had but I guess when you get in the zone you can do some real good work. I know you are asking yourself where did the top go but I just cannot bring myself to put it back on.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 09:33:08 PM »
I haven't got my photos of my fender aprons but will get them for you and get them on here so you can see what it looked like. I would also like to ask if anyones has the ram air set up to sell let a brother know. Thanks stay tuned for more and give me feed back thanks guys.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 04:00:16 AM »
Wow!  You have made some tremendous progress.  I like.....

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
 Your Mustang looks great. I can't see how you got the quarter fixed. It looks like the new patch is overlapping the old panel. Is it welded or glued? I heard about the glue technique but I don't know if it would be as strong as a weld.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
okay more to follow but check this for now. I bought my powere steering and gear box at a smoking rate, and the car is being fixed time now. I have a close friend taking care of her. I know it is wrong to have someone else work on your baby but you guys are aware that I am unable to and I don't want to wait any longer for her. I am also getting ideas for motor parts and looking for ram air parts if you know of any let me know. I am also haveing problems getting email when people post if someone could walk me in Therry has helped me so many times but it still won't let me know and that is why I don't stay flowing on here. Keep the ideas going and keep this site number 1. STANG OUT

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
I would get some color over that primer ASAP troop.  It would be too bad to exert all that energy to get that rust stopped, just to have it start in another year or two because you drove it in the rain with only primer on it.  Worry about the mechanics later.  Get the expensive things such as rust fixed permanently first.  Looks like you started on the right track, then got sidetracked.  Decide on the color, then get her sprayed.  The Mach1 stickers and black stripes can go on later.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
nah brother I went with the weld I have not heard about the glued method but like you said it dones't sound safe. Soaring I have primer on it but it doesn't get driven at all. it is in KS and I am stationed at KY and my Parents have it in there detachted garage and never leaves. I only had then days with here on leave beofre I had to go back to KY so I had to throw primer on her, i even tried to strip the rest of that old paint off her for the future, but didn't get it all off, nad balck on black sounds good but I think I a so original that I need to go back factory, I know old fashion but more value. STANG OUT

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »
Oh, OK... You are lucky enough to have a storage garage for her so she won't get wet.  Don't sweat taking off the rest of the white color.  You can do that anytime you aren't fighting a war.  Throw some dryer sheets on the inside, and get a good breathable cover for it.  Park it with some lumber under the tires, or jack it up and let the suspension hang.  Cement tends to rot tires.  If it is only going to be stored for a year or so, no other precautions need to happen except unhooking the battery.  I used a small, and expensive, trickle charger on mine while it was stored for 3 years.  If it is more than a year, then drain the gas tank and put in a fresh supply before driving it.  Be sure you store it with a full tank to prevent condensation, and a bottle of Stabil which is a gas stabilizer.  Change the oil and filter before you drive it.  Hang bro, and let us know how she turns out. 

racedraper

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
Hey Buddy. Welcome back I know how you fell. I lost a couple of buddies also.
We need to hook up some weekend since I dont live to far from you.

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »
hey I guess it is better to lose some great friends for a good cause, rather than to a drunk driver, or arson. Race we can hang out anytime brother, I know you just want to hang with me to see what a true mustang fan looks like,lol. As far as the car soaring, my father, who has nothing better too do, goes out and starts it everyother week and lets it run.  I have never heard of the dryer sheets in the car but I will have to try it man. The tires on this car might also be factory,lol they are old and nasty I think they are the 14x7 maybe15x7 but that might be pushing it.

I am going to fill you guys in on my secret, I have spent all this time on the body and interior and not a lick under the car which, my father has been in the custom cars business for a long time and alot of his buddies have do it as well. I am not sure if the best way to clean the bottom without sanding, but i am sure someone will get on here and tell me that,lol. I have heard about soda blasting it is like sand blasting except it won't harm your paint and you can do it in the open without that chance of cancer, well I guess it is nothing like sand blasting but the end result is that it get rid of the rust and crud from under you car so you can seal it. if anyone has any insight on that let a brother know.Well I pulled my head out of my butt and figured out how to get notifications I will be on here more. STANG OUT

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »
Soda blasting is pretty much the same as sand blasting, except you use Arm and Hammer soda instead of sand.  It won't warp the metal, but since you are only considering it for underneath, I would use sand.  It will cut the crap out of the undercoating and street crud in a New York minute.  But, you need to be outside and use a respirator.  You will also need to have the car up in the air.  Not too likely to happen outside though. 
Heck, my exterior was sandblasted.  If you know what you are doing, the sand is the fastest, but most likely to cause warping in the metal if you let the wand sit too long in one spot.  Keep us posted troop. 

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »
  I have found a couple people in town back home that are really talking the soda blasting up and I think if he can spray the whole underneath and trunk  for a good price I might go that route. I do not know if it cuts as good as sand but sand blasting is just as expensive and I stood there and watched a buddy get his bed done in his elcamino and he blew threw two place and almost chipped his back window so I might sway that way, unless someone has insight to change my mind. I donít want people to think if they donít give me a idea I wonít use it unless it is extreme or you are just being fuchsias.

I am getting close to having that patch panel put in. as most of you know after the quarters went it I found a hole in the rear and choose to tap it and that is what lead to just buying two new patch panels. Remember, I am trying, to get all this work done from a distance and not sure what is the best way to get it done. I want my father to tug that engine so I can get the fender apron in there, well an I am going to do a little work on the motor since she is out, but keep that on the Down low, I cannot stand 177 HP and yes 2 V only came out with 177 HP. I am always talking about not touching it and leaving it factory but I would like to do stuff to that would not be factory but be value to the car, like exhaust pipes with dual exhaust, power steering, cam, intake, and rear end gears. I would like some feedback on these items whither you think it would hurt or if anyone would even notice.

I am really trying to get as much work done as possible before I get it down here or over here for that matter in KY since I wonít have much time to work on it being a drill sergeant, but I donít know how much longer I can go without her.  I have big plans for her but can only do as much as dream right now and try to get everything lined out so when I get out of school I can roll home and pick her up. If anyone knows of any new mustang site to buy parts  let a brother know. Keep this topics flowing , Race it is really good to hear from you and good luck with school. STANG OUT

Russ

• The one to watch for
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:57:16 PM »
hey I got the prices on the blasting, sand 75hr, soda150hr. I don't know if since it is the underbody if it really would hurt to just use the sand but you tell me. I also have my needs list comming out and it is getting bigger and bigger by the minute.STANG OUT

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version