Author Topic: 1968 fastback... that powerful, good handling?  (Read 2580 times)

wilbur

• Mustang: 68 fastback
1968 fastback... that powerful, good handling?
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »
Im going to buy a 68 fastback, of course Im jumping of happiness but the seller said engine is rebuilt as follows:

"The engine and trans are also out of a 69 Mach 1.T he engine has be rebuilt and has a nice cam with hydraulic  lifters and  MSD ignition the trans is a C-6 with a shift kit connected to a Detroit Locker rear end
 the cam -heads -and all the other stuff that has been done it is approx between 425-450 horsepower. It has not been dynoed so it is just and estamate according to what the mech said."

Im not experted that is clear, is this engine and what is done good at the end for driving it? could have some weak points? what are the disadvantages?? thanks a lot for your answers. nuria

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
Re: 1968 fastback... that powerful, good handling?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »
Im going to buy a 68 fastback, of course Im jumping of happiness but the seller said engine is rebuilt as follows:

"The engine and trans are also out of a 69 Mach 1.T he engine has be rebuilt and has a nice cam with hydraulic  lifters and  MSD ignition the trans is a C-6 with a shift kit connected to a Detroit Locker rear end
 the cam -heads -and all the other stuff that has been done it is approx between 425-450 horsepower. It has not been dynoed so it is just and estamate according to what the mech said."

Im not experted that is clear, is this engine and what is done good at the end for driving it? could have some weak points? what are the disadvantages?? thanks a lot for your answers. nuria

Welcome to the forum.
There were some significant differences in 1968 and 1969 Mustang engines. A C-6 transmission implies a 390CID or 428CID engine and you need to find out which. Thre is a possibility of a 351CID Windsor engine, common to Mach I cars, stuck in there. Also the VIN is critical, especially the first 5 characters. It the 5th chatacter is a "T", I would pass. The "T" means the car originally came with a 200CID I-6 engine and has less value now and if (or when) you decide to sell. You should insist on a "Marti" report that will give you a lot of information.
As to handling, a stock Mustang is anything but agile. The are many items for sale the will dramatically improve any Mustang's handling, but as the old saying goes - "Speed cost money. How fast can you afford to go?".
Jim

wilbur

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:24:33 PM »
thanks Jim. vin code shows 'J' letter. (8R02J..) The true thing is that I never drived a car like this one, my purpose is to use it daily.. what are the inconvenients? thanks again, Im too ignorant!

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:56:28 PM »
If it has the original front suspension, that is the first thing I would replace with new components, especially if you are going to be using it as a daily driver.  That "J" in your VIN indicates the original engine, so does not apply to the '69 engine.  You have numbers and letters stamped on the block and intake.  Find those, and get back with us. 

66GTKFB

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1965 GTFB, 1966 GTFB K, 1966 Hardtop
  • Daily driver: 1969 VW Baja
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
The "J" is for a 302CID 4 barrel carb engine, the only engine/year combination like that (except the Boss302 years). The questions remains, what is in the car now. The suspension basics are fine that came with that engine. Upgrades are always nice.
Jim

wilbur

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »
ok soaring, thanks. I'll ask for this info. Thanks Jim for your comments!

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version