Author Topic: 1965 Mustang Coupe  (Read 10548 times)

Jeff n Karen Fleetwood

1965 Mustang Coupe
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:34:04 PM »
Hello
I'm new to the site, like what I've seen and read thus far.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/jnkfleet/65PIP.jpg

Recently perchased a '65 Mustang at an estate auction, it was origanally silver blue now it is in grey primer, and mechanically great. Cruises wonderfully.
The car came with over $1500 worth of AOE retorsation parts, and I plan to repaint it within a few months, Black with flames are the plan.

The real dilema I have is it's a six cylinder automatic trans. with 4 bolt hub setup, 13" tires..I'm finding it difficult to find nice rims to put on it, not that the factory steelies with caps are ugly, but with a custom flame job I want some bling (even at 13"), so where do I go to find a set of cool rims (I continue to check on e-bay) that will set it off right?
I know Cragar makes a 4 spoke classic, but I'd truly like to find a set of 5 spokes or slots, even DragLites would be nicer than black steelies with whitewalls.

What do you suggest?
Thank You.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: 1965 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jeff. Your Mustang seems to be in great shape. Any photo of your 1970 coupe?
 About your wheels problem I am afraid you don't have much choice with the 4 bolt pattern and there is not a chance you can get any 5 spoke wheels with 4 bolt drums.
Here is some 4 lug wheels for classic Mustangs here: CJ Pony Parts.

There is also a company selling custom conversion kits allowing you to install 5 lug rims. You may want to contact them:
AirbagIt
The problem is that it will push your wheels out and you might be limited in tire size.
 The other solution is to convert to a V8 spindle and brake setup but that won't be cheap if you have to get all new parts. I am not sure what you would need to replace on the rear but it might be the entire rear end.
 Good luck.

Jeff n Karen Fleetwood

Re: 1965 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »

Thierry wrote:
Welcome to the forum Jeff. Your Mustang seems to be in great shape. Any photo of your 1970 coupe?
 About your wheels problem I am afraid you don't have much choice with the 4 bolt pattern and there is not a chance you can get any 5 spoke wheels with 4 bolt drums.
Here is some 4 lug wheels for classic Mustangs here: CJ Pony Parts.

There is also a company selling custom conversion kits allowing you to install 5 lug rims. You may want to contact them:
AirbagIt
The problem is that it will push your wheels out and you might be limited in tire size.
 The other solution is to convert to a V8 spindle and brake setup but that won't be cheap if you have to get all new parts. I am not sure what you would need to replace on the rear but it might be the entire rear end.
 Good luck.

:-)  Thanks for the response Thierry, as I suspected without total replacement of the hubs & axels with 5 bolts my options are extremely limited.
I would opt for the adapters but that would seem to create yet other problems, and I once had a set on a '67 Fairlane I owned, and had trouble with them staying torqued all the time, lost a wheel a couple times..That's no good! And they would often rub the wells to.

As for pics of my '70 Standard coupe I lost those a few years back , bought the car for $150 in 1976 as a restorer from a bridge collision, I subsequently sold it after restoring it for a break even amount after parts of $2400..The best & first Mustang I ever had, and wish I still had.
But this '65 is going to be even better after I get R' done, older and wiser and more finances to put into it helps.
Thanks again for the ideas.

fleet1965

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang