Author Topic: Wiring Harness on a '66  (Read 59347 times)

Shelby

Wiring Harness on a '66
« on: February 07, 2005, 08:44:27 PM »
When I purchased my '66 Mustang, I was well aware that I didn't have a left turn signal (hence the big ugly 'Rejection' sticker on the windshield) because of something in the wiring harness.  I thought it would be a quick fix.  However, the person who owned it prior to me toyed with the wires and apparently wired them backwards (according to a friend of mine)

He took a look at the wires and spliced them.  After he spliced them, we tested the lights.  I still don't have a turn signal.  The parking lights work fine.  But when I turn the headlights on they over ride the parking lights.  I don't know what else could be wrong with it.  He said something may be wrong with ground wire or alternator.  I'm not sure, since I don't mess much with wiring in a car.  

Any ideas on what might be wrong with it?

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
  • Mustang: Had a 69 Mustang coupe
  • Daily driver: Sunfire
Re: Wiring Harness on a '66
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 12:46:20 PM »
The only way to find out what's wrong is to test the wires with a multimeter. Check the power wire at the light bulb with one end of the meter on the wire the other one in a non painted location of the body like a bolt. If you get 12 V on this wire then you have a ground problem. If not you can locate the appropriate  
fuse in the fuse box and test both ends to see if you have any power. If you do the problem comes from the wire runing from the fuse box to the signal light.
Someone may have a better idea to fix this problem but this is the way I would do it. Good luck and let us know if you get it to work.

Shelby

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:23:31 PM »
I borrowed a multimeter and my buddy and tried out what you suggested.  The ground wires are fine.  I'm glad you suggested that so I didn't have to replace a perfectly good harness.  We've narrowed it down to one thing:  the turn signal switch.

It has to be.  You see, the boy I bought her off of replaced the steering wheel.  Of course, the steering wheel he bought was different, so a completely new steering column had to be used (it's not made for a '66 Mustang).  We think that he may have unhooked something or fouled something up in the process of changing it and the problem didn't show up until later.  That's the only other thing we can think of that could possibly keep the turn signal from working.  I'm more than likely going to have to take her somewhere to get this figured out.  Know of anything else that may be the cause?   :-(

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 09:14:57 AM »
The switch might be the right place to look at especially if as you say the steering wheel and column are not original but it can also come from the relay. I am not sure how they work but they should not be very expensive and you may replace it to see if it makes any diference or you can take your steering wheel and switch apart to check if you have any power on the wire connected to the switch and coming from the battery (meter connected on the wire and the ground on the body). If there is power the problem is between the switch and the signal light. If not it is between the switch and the battery.

Shelby

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 05:34:51 PM »
Well...after what seemed like forever, we finally figured out what was wrong with it.  

The signal light wires were fried.  Boy, do I feel dumb.  I met a boy that helps his stepfather restore hot rods, and he had a multimeter (I think) different from what Eric had.  Aaron told me the problem was the wires in the signal light itself.  We replaced it and presto...turn signal.

She passed inspection.  However, when I press the brakes, the parking light comes on on the left side.  It never ends, does it?  I think that this has something to do with the harness this time.  I'm pretty sure Aaron installed the light correctly.  She's driveable and I just ride with my lights on so there isn't a question mark to oncoming traffic when I brake.  I would like to get this fixed in the near future.  Any suggestions on this one?  Should I go ahead and replace the harness, which, by the way, has been cut and spliced and taped in so many different places?  Apparently whoever did the wiring on her during restoration didn't know what they were doing.

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 10:17:29 AM »
Having a parking light staying on all the time is not bad and you may be able to fix it. What is bad is having a wiring harness cut and taped everywhere. Moisture can get the wires corroded resulting in more resistance (loss of power) and heat. Worse case would be a shortcut in your electrical system. The best thing to do is to replace the whole harness if you don't want to see your mustang burning in flames. I am not saying your car is dangerous but this scenario may happen and I think the investment would be worth it.

Shelby

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 09:01:37 PM »
Thank goodness you said something.  I browsed a few places in search of a new harness, and I found one.  It's about $90, and I've got someone to put it in for me, so it's all good.  All I have to do is wait until my insurance bill comes.  Heh.  But anyway, thanks for your help.   :-D

racedraper

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 06:06:37 PM »
will this help?

racedraper

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 06:07:35 PM »
and

racedraper

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 06:09:03 PM »
and

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »
Very nice scans. I am sure they will be very usefull to Sixty6.

racedraper

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 07:51:28 PM »
well they are for 66 :-D . i can also post for all years from 641/2 thru 73 if you want for future use.

BADBOBB

Wiring Harness on a 67
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 10:43:26 AM »
HEY RACERAPER, SAW YOUR WIRING DIAGRAMS LAST NIGHT. WONDER IF YOU WOULD POST SAME FOR 1967 MUSTANG. MY PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWS,
HEAD LIGHTS, FAN, WIPERS, EMERG. FLASHERS, ALL OK.
TAIL LIGHTS, TURN SIGS, PARK LIGHTS, BRAKE LIGHTS, HORN DO NOT WORK. ALL WIRES APPEAR TO HAVE CONTINUITY. I JUST GOT HOLD OF WIRING DIAGRAM FOR 66 STANG. MINE IS A 67. AM HOPING THAT I CAN TRACE PROBLEM THROUGH THAT. THIS THING HAS BEEN MONKYED WITH. I THINK THAT THE HORN WIRE GOING TO LIGHT SW. SHOULD BE HOT, THUS SUPPLYING POWER TO TAIL LIGHTS ETC, WHEN SWITCHED TO ON POSITION.
I CAN CHEAT POWER TO THESE ITEMS BUT WOULD PREFER TO REPAIR CORRECTLY.
TERMINALS ON LIGHT SW. ARE, "B"(BATTRY),"A"(ASCESSORY),"P"(PARK LIGHTS),""R"(REAR LIGHTS),"H"(HEAD LIGHTS), "I"(INSTURMENT LIGHTS), "D1"(DOOR LIGHTS),"D2"(DOME LIGHT).
WIRES COMEING INTO "B"+"D1" ARE ALWAYS HOT.
NO POWER TO ALL OTHERS.
TURNING H.L. ON, "B" HAS CONT. TO "H".
TURNING DOME LIGHT ON "D1 HAS CONT. TO "D2".
TURNING ONLY PARK LIGHTS ON, "P" HAS CONT. TO "R"+"A".
TURNING ON DASH LIGHTS "D" HAS CONT. TO "R"+"P"+"A".
???????????
BAD

racedraper

Re: Wiring Harness on a 67
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 11:24:19 AM »
you asked for it. Hey boss man I am going to post all diagrams from 641/2 thru 73 so if you want to make it a forum buy itself or a stick one go ahead

BADBOBB

WIRING HARNESS DIAGRAMS
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 07:30:48 PM »
HEY RECED.
..... WAITING FOR EARLY MUSTANG WIRING DIAGRAMS.
HAVE THEY BEEN POSTED?
I AM NEW TO SITE, I MIGHT BE LOOKING IN WRONG PLACE.
MINE IS A 67, CURRENTLY TURN SIGS ABD GAS GAGE DO NOT WORK
BAD

Thierry

• Administrator
    • Used cars
Re: WIRING HARNESS DIAGRAMS
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 07:48:19 PM »
Yes racedraper did post the diagrams from 64 to 69 and the one for your car can be seen here:
Wire diagram for 67 Mustangs
You can click on the images to enlarge them.

mustangluver

• Mustang: 66 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: 2008 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »
my 66 mustang has original harness. id like to try n preserve the wiring. my gauges and heater switch to turn it off n on do not work. my grandfather rigged a temp and oil pressure gauge and a heater switch to make it all work. my exterior items work and my interior lights n cigg lighter works. is there a chance maybe the connections are bad? please help i dont feel like spending crap load of money if i dont have to.

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
holy old thread bump batman :P

honestly you will save yourself a ton of headaches by replacing the wiring..... wiring will corrode inside of the insulation and will reek havoc on your car.....

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »
Yeah, when I looked at the date of this thread, I wondered how in hell it came up again after 4 years.   ;D  Old wiring is not a thing to preserve in these old cars.  New wiring looks the same as the original, and gives you security knowing that the wiring won't set your car afire.  Yeah, it is kind of expensive, but will save you from not only fires, but will keep your parts that use the harness working to perfection.  Replace old wiring when you can afford it. 

mustangluver

• Mustang: 66 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: 2008 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 03:41:46 AM »
awesome thanks :) but outta curioustiy will the new wiring have the fomoco sticker on there or would i have to take the sticker off the old stuff?

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version