Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

what carb should i put on my 351c 4v

<< < (3/5) > >>

Soaring:
Your choice of gears will depend on the  style of driving you will be doing.  If you only want a light to light car, then the 4:11 will be your choice.  If you want a cruiser and an occasional Interstate driver then drop down to say 3:73's or 3:55's.  My Mach 1 has 3:55's in it, but I have a 5 speed for the Interstate, and it is really quick. 

jethat:
The 351c isnt like other engines. They like the lower gearing. I think the car would respond well to 4.11 gears and I also think you would do well with a vacuum secondary 750 cfm Holly I have a close match to your engine and I've used a 750 holly on it and it really liked it although the carb I used has a problem so I switched back to the ed 625 cfm carb. I also would be surprised if you didnt dyno over 300 hp at the wheels. Again the 351c is a different animal. Most people just dont grasp what its capable of. There was the change back in 72 from sae to net but Ford was actually under estimating the Hp of the 70-71 engines on there ratings they say. People forget the fastest Mustang of the Muscle car era was the Boss 351. I would Say go for the gears and get that 750 cfm carb. if you want to learn more about your engine you can do that here http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/

Soaring:
Welcome Jethat.  It's good to have a different perspective thrown into the mix.  You say that the C is a different engine, and yet you don't give proof of that.  Horsepower is horsepower, and how you make it is by an internal combustion engine.  Now, what is so special about the C that makes it any different from a W in the ability to produce HP?  And, what is it about the C that likes the lower gearing?  Explain.  An engine is an engine, and only supplies power to the rear. The same power that any engine would supply.  The C is no different. 

jethat:

--- Quote from: Soaring on February 01, 2009, 07:00:19 AM ---Welcome Jethat.  It's good to have a different perspective thrown into the mix.  You say that the C is a different engine, and yet you don't give proof of that.  Horsepower is horsepower, and how you make it is by an internal combustion engine.  Now, what is so special about the C that makes it any different from a W in the ability to produce HP?  And, what is it about the C that likes the lower gearing?  Explain.  An engine is an engine, and only supplies power to the rear. The same power that any engine would supply.  The C is no different.

--- End quote ---
The Cleveland is an engine that is all about air flow. The heads the OP has are the best small displacement heads you could get on an engine of that era. Canted valves 2.19 inch itake 1.90 inch exhaust. They like to move air and do it better then any engine in its class. Clevelands dominated the dragstrip of the 70's and 80's and it wasnt until aluminum heads with modern rollerised valve trains and all that they had competition from others in its class. To this day Cleveland styled heads are the way to go to get the most out of a performance block. The Popular Hotrodding engine masters challenge from it beginning  a few years ago has proved the superiority of the cleveland heads year after year.
I provided a link to the best all cleveland board on the web and if you want to learn more about the Cleveland go there.

jethat:
BTW Soaring thanks for the invite. Nice board you have here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version