Author Topic: Tire size answer  (Read 3360 times)

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
Tire size answer
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
Months ago I asked what size tire I could run on the back of my 73 Mach 1

Today I put 275-60 15's on the rear and they are a tight fit and may require a little clearancing of the inner wheel well lip, depending on how much suspension travel occurs.

They look good compared to the 235-60 15's that were on there-like a redneck muscle car should look ;)

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Tire size answer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
Get a ball peen hammer and beat the hell out of the inner fender?  That's what a redneck would do.   ;D

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
Soaring, something told me I would get a less that positive response on this and that it would be from you! :D

and why use a ball peen hammer when I have a 4" angle grinder and cut off wheels LOL

A true redneck would just shackle it up a couple of inches or add air shocks (at least until the tore through the floor)

It actually looks like I would really have to bottom out the rear suspension pretty good before I would rub.

so if someone wants to know how big they can go without altering the 71-73 rear sheetmetal and using Magnum 500 15x8's  I'd suggest 255-60 15's as the largest safe size.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »
I was just being fecitous.  Putting tires and wheels on a classic that are not meant to fit on that car is just dumb IMO.  Sometimes we have to make decisions about these sort of things, and this decision is just not one that is realistic.  These are classic cars, and interfering with the integrity of the original design should not be done.  I know that tons of guys have tried to make their classic into a restomod, and have come out with bastards that don't even resemble the classsic that it started out to be, and that to me is a sin.  Now, you know where I stand. 

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
I was just being fecitous.  Putting tires and wheels on a classic that are not meant to fit on that car is just dumb IMO.  Sometimes we have to make decisions about these sort of things, and this decision is just not one that is realistic.  These are classic cars, and interfering with the integrity of the original design should not be done.  I know that tons of guys have tried to make their classic into a restomod, and have come out with bastards that don't even resemble the classsic that it started out to be, and that to me is a sin.  Now, you know where I stand.

I did a resto mod on mine and you will not even be able to tell.

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I don't see the 73 Mach 1's being all that collectible and the tire change can be reversed in a matter of minutes.

Since I already updated the transmission to a 5 speed,  added a solid cam and closed chamber heads, an electronic ignition and intend to add air conditioning and subframe connectors to the car, it won't be an "Original" to most collectors.  Still, there is nothing I've done that can't be reversed.  If I should need to trim the inner lip of the wheel well (which seems unlikely) even this is a reversable modification.

I didn't buy this car as an investment, I bought it so I could enjoy having it the way I want it.  If that makes my car a restomod, I can live with the title.

I fully respect your opinion and there a great number of cars I would do as you suggest and keep as original and stock as possible-which is exactly why I don't own one of those cars.

Tim175

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
That about sums it up ;D

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
We get into this spat every now and then, and everybody gets to vent.  We will remain Mustang buds before and after the spat.

6mustang6

• Mustang: 1966 Mustang 289
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 04:41:26 PM »
Guys you will never win a resto-mod war with Soaring. He is more stubborn then his mustang. :D

Tim175

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »
Haha yeah i know.

FASTBACK65GT

• I buy H.O. Slot Cars!
    • Phil's '65 Mustang GT
  • Mustang: 1965 Mustang Fastback GT
  • Daily driver: Ranger 4.0; 4.10; 4x4 is my daily driver.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »
Next you need to "jack-up" the rear with shackle extensions for that "look" you're after.  I remember they'd cut the wheel well opening with appeared to be reciprocating saw or cutting torch...and it has to be square.  It couldn't match the old opening at all.  The chrome reverse wheels had to have rust on them too.  Oh yeah....the good 'ole days. 8)

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
Yeah, and take out the original AM radio and cut the dash so that a big ol' high powered stereo would fit in the dash.  Now, that is something that's hard to reverse.  I agree that the wheels can be reversed back to original, but at what cost?  About the cheapest oversized wheels you can put on a classic costs in the neighborhood of 1000 bux, then you still have to buy oversized tires and chop away at the inner fender.  For what?  A classic that doesn't look like a classic anymore?   ;D  I have to admit though, that I have my Mag 500's that I run on Ol' Yeller now and again, but right now I have the original wheels and caps on her. 

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 02:01:47 AM »
I am running the original wheels.  I spent 245.00 for the rear tires amd I am unlikely to trim the fenderwells.

I have modified the car essentially as it wold have been done back in it's heydey.  Solid Cam, better heads, improved ignition, bigger tires toput the newfound power to the road.  Only the transmission mod is modern in nature.

The original 73 Mach 1's were not fast, nor did they handle all that well.  I've brought it into competition with newer iron and made it fun for me to drive.  That is what make this hobby interesting to me.

You get something else out of it and that is great, but it is not like I am desecrating a 1967 Hertz GT 350 rent a racer!

BlackShadow

• Mustang: 1965 Mustang 2+2
  • Daily driver: Ford f350 powerstroke 4x4
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 10:48:49 AM »
Your exactly right it all about what is fun for you and the pride of having your mustang. I have my original and my resto and you know the one which is the most fun is the resto. I have so many people on the road and in parking lots come up and admire my resto it unreal. I can drive it and never have to worry about leaving it unattended like I have to with my originals. haha  Some cars are made to be put back to original and some aren't.  The Mustang from the begin was about freedom and options just look at the option list in 65 everything was a option. And the after market suppliers have been in business for around 45 years. People have been changing there mustang since the begin.  I'm fact we would have never seen the Shelby gt 350 or the Boss 429 if it wasn't for some of those old hot rodders.   Shelby wasn't using ford parts on the gt 350. And Kar Kraft made extensive modifications to the Boss 429 Mustang, including widening the shock towers and extended out the inner fenders to allow this massive engine to fit. I guess these cars would have been called bastard cars  back in the day by some... lmao

Tim175

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »
I completely agree with both Jeff and shadow.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version