Author Topic: Suspension?  (Read 8962 times)

BareMetal65

• Mustang: 65 Coupe
Suspension?
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
OK. So on to the suspension.  I have ALL the original parts on my 65 in my garage on the walls, floor, shelves, etc.  How do I determine if I can reuse the leaf springs or if they need to be replaced?  Do you recommend any particular kits for general daily driver restoration?

Topless_Horse

• Mustang: 66 convertible
  • Daily driver: Ram 2500 Cummins
Re: Suspension?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:41:23 AM »
If they are the original leaf springs you should probably replace them.  If they're not original to the car then you can just replace all the eye bushings and reuse them.

There are quite a few Mustang specialty suppliers (National Parts Depot, Glazier-Nolan, Mustangs Unlimited, etc.) that supply quality replacement parts.  I replaced my leaf springs last year with the Grab-a-track 4 leaf units and am very satisfied with them.

BareMetal65

• Mustang: 65 Coupe
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:20:58 PM »
Thanks South Dakota.  Will get started on it.  Got any good suggestions for undercoatings?

Topless_Horse

• Mustang: 66 convertible
  • Daily driver: Ram 2500 Cummins
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
The cars were not undercoated from the factory, just sprayed with red oxide primer.  I really can't offer any useful advice beyond knowing that there are commercially applied products available or you can do a bit at a time with spray cans.

Also, I seem to be about the only one answering questions on this board anymore.  I have some experience but I think you'd benefit from a wider experience base available on a board with greater participation.  I also belong to the http://www.vintage-mustang.com/ crowd and find lots of good information there.

Best of luck with your project!!

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1967 convertible
  • Daily driver: 2011 Chev Silverado Dura Max 4X4
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:02:52 AM »
When I purchased my 67 5 years ago the rear end visibly squatted so it was easy to see new springs were needed. Oregon spring works had a new set sitting on the rack that I picked up reasonably. After installing bushing and the springs it raised the back of the car by almost 4 inches. I then added KYB gas filled shocks all the way around which really improved the handling if the car. The front coils are original but still seem to be in perfect condition keeping the front end up at factory height.

eric taylor

• Mustang: 1967 coupe
  • Daily driver: 2010 Ram
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 02:20:05 AM »
I installed new floor pans on my 67 coupe then went onto my suspension and there was a lot of visual imperfections as far as welding and under body dents and stuff. I was looking at a buddy's fast back and noticed his under body was really nice. He had shot it with a undercoating bought off the shelf at Advance. It really looks clean and it is just rough enough to hide the pan replacement work. I bought some and am going to shoot it this week if all goes well. I say all this to say that I wish I had done it prior to installing my new front and rear suspension because now I have to mask every thing unless I'm content with covering some pretty nice parts with undercoating.
Also as far as ground up restorations go. A rotisary is the bomb (which of course I didn't stumble onto  until after the fact as well).
These babies are survivors and well worth the time and effort to bring them back to life. Good wrenching!

55dsofastback

• Mustang: 1966 Fastback 2+2
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
If they are the original leaf springs you should probably replace them.  If they're not original to the car then you can just replace all the eye bushings and reuse them.

There are quite a few Mustang specialty suppliers (National Parts Depot, Glazier-Nolan, Mustangs Unlimited, etc.) that supply quality replacement parts.  I replaced my leaf springs last year with the Grab-a-track 4 leaf units and am very satisfied with them.

Where did you end up buying your Grab-a-tracks? I see Mustang Plus has them and M. U. ,  N.P.D. has a good price on Eaton springs.  I want to keep a stock ride on my fastback but worried it will pitch the front end to far up.  :-\

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version