Author Topic: Sandblasting  (Read 2563 times)

heavy

• Mustang: '66 289
Sandblasting
« on: September 18, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »
I started taking the trim off of my '66 last night to get it ready for the body shop to start working on it.  After looking at the terrible paint job that the prior owner had on it, and the rust spots in several areas I started thinking that I should just take it down to the metal before wasting money on a good paint job.

So the question is should I do the stripping of the old paint myself?  In my simple mind it seems pretty straight forward.  However, I have no experience in body work and would appreciate any advice.  I am guessing that the materials I need to do it should not cost more than $200 since I already have a large compressor.

burk17

• I've always wanted a Mustang
  • Mustang: 1966 Coupe
Re: Sandblasting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Talk to the people doing your paint. I just finished a Fox Body, the people that did my paint said I could strip some of it before I delivered it to them. I used a chemical stripper on the heavy spots ( the previous owner painted over some places where it paint had peeled and the paint was real thick) and a DA on the others. A DA sander can do damage also if you don't know what you are doing (voice of experience). If you are not experienced with a sandblaster you can warp your sheet metal and make a mess.

I'm hoping to meet with a painter this week to start making plans for the 66, but I've got a couple of months of mechanical/body work to do before he can have it.

Take your time and let me know how your 66 is coming along.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Sandblasting
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
For an inexperienced body man, I would avoid the sand.  If you are going to do it yourself consider either bead or soda blasting.  It takes a lot of preparation to get the car ready, and the beads and soda are not cheap, plus the gun.  If this is the only car you plan to strip, I would consider having a pro do it.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version