Author Topic: Restoring a 1964 1/2  (Read 4986 times)

CrazyLarry

• Mustang: 1964 1/2
  • Daily driver: 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Restoring a 1964 1/2
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
Just moved to Frisco, Texas, 1200 miles from home.  No friends here and lots of time on my hands.  Staring at a 1964 1/2 with a 289 in my garage.  I have never owned an antique car before and really could use some help with beginning the restoration process.  She runs pretty good now, and the body is in decent shape, I just don't know where to start with the process.  Would love some advice as I have big plans for this car and want to learn everything about the vehicle.  She's already so tough-looking, I just wanna give her the treatment she deserves and chew up some asphalt along the way.   Restoration manuals would be helpful as well.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Restoring a 1964 1/2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
Understand that is a "D" code 289 with a low compression ratio, so you aren't going to be "chewing" up any pavement with that engine.   You also have a generator on there, and an alternator would be much better. Tell us what you want to do and we can guide you along the way.  If it is body first, or if it is mechanics first, make a choice and let's get going.  First, let's see some pictures of that pony.

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:47:15 PM »
Yeah it really all depends on what you want the car to turn into, and what is more important the mechanics or the body as already stated.  ;)

CrazyLarry

• Mustang: 1964 1/2
  • Daily driver: 2000 Jeep Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »
First I'd like to say thank you guys for the replies.  I will need a lot of advice along the way and it is reassuring to know that I can find that help.  I think under the hood is where I'd like to start.  That generator has been replaced...twice.  Would really like to move to an alternator if possible.  Body is overall good condition, that can wait I believe.  Also, when I went to pull her out of the garage, I found where my brother-in-law had somehow managed to pull the ignition out of casing and I can't seem to get it back in.  So she does run, but not until I can get the ignition back together.  Also, I heard there is a major Mustang parts hub in DFW, is there any truth to that?  Thanks again for getting me started.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »
First I'd like to say thank you guys for the replies.  I will need a lot of advice along the way and it is reassuring to know that I can find that help.  I think under the hood is where I'd like to start.  That generator has been replaced...twice.  Would really like to move to an alternator if possible.  Body is overall good condition, that can wait I believe.  Also, when I went to pull her out of the garage, I found where my brother-in-law had somehow managed to pull the ignition out of casing and I can't seem to get it back in.  So she does run, but not until I can get the ignition back together.  Also, I heard there is a major Mustang parts hub in DFW, is there any truth to that?  Thanks again for getting me started.
Yeah, I think you are right.  You need to start with that engine bay. But, for now, get some "Rust Away" from the nearest Ace hardware, and dab some on that hood to stop that rust right now.   Or maybe that is red oxide undercoating I am seeing.  If so, then never mind.  The best way to clean up that engine and the bay, is to pull the engine and put it on a stand.  Then you can get in the bay and really clean it up and repaint it.  With the engine on a stand, you can take off major parts so they don't get overspray on them and scrub that engine really well before repainting it.  That would be my first project if it was mine.  I see that the air con compressor doesn't have a belt on it, so the compressor is probably frozen up.  You need to decide if you want to keep the air con in the car, and if so you will need to spend some major bucks to replinish it. 
The only Mustang parts place I know of in the DFW area is Dallas Mustang.  Just google them for their phone number.  I don't buy parts from them because I am in the hill country and get most of my parts from Texas Mustang in Waco. 

mustangluver

• Mustang: 66 coupe 289
  • Daily driver: 2008 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »
on your chrome inside and out, ive used turtlewax chrome polish. when you do your dash area, be very careful. itll take the paint right off. on the body, look for any bubbles and cracks. and lastly on the engine bay, take some engine cleaner and follow the directions and smooth and paint things like your exhaust manifolds n such. when you go n show off your car, it has to look nice inside and out. :D

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version