Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

Replacement shell, or the Original?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Soaring:
Yeah, that shell is just too expensive.   I guess the supply is less than the demand.  Maybe a few more years need to pass before I would pay that much for just a shell. 

rmodel65:

--- Quote from: Nikolaeos on April 13, 2008, 12:32:46 AM ---So, are you sure, 100% sure, that if I get the VIN transfered, the car will maintain value?  Part of the reason I'm going Fastback is because they are a great investment.

Edit:
Well, now seeing that I can go buy a running, rust free 1966 Fastback for the price of buying the shell, I think I may keep the shell on hold.  But thanks for all the help.

--- End quote ---

depends on the law in the individual state but more than likely the answer would be no!
granted people are doing this without permission but it still doesn't make it legal

Soaring:

--- Quote from: rmodel65 on April 13, 2008, 10:49:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: Nikolaeos on April 13, 2008, 12:32:46 AM ---So, are you sure, 100% sure, that if I get the VIN transfered, the car will maintain value?  Part of the reason I'm going Fastback is because they are a great investment.

Edit:
Well, now seeing that I can go buy a running, rust free 1966 Fastback for the price of buying the shell, I think I may keep the shell on hold.  But thanks for all the help.

--- End quote ---

depends on the law in the individual state but more than likely the answer would be no!
granted people are doing this without permission but it still doesn't make it legal

--- End quote ---
No... You will have to treat it as a kit car.  You go to your local grain elevator and get it weighed once you get the whole car running and driving it.  Then you apply for a kit car title and license.  Been there, done that.  It will never be an original classic Mustang.  It's a bastard. 

Thierry:
 I don't see the difference between a car restored with all its sheet metal replaced by reproduction ones and one with a one piece shell. What makes one more original than the other?
 I heared a story a few years back about a rare classic Porsche or Jaguar being destroyed during a race. A few decades later someone bought the wreck, took the VIN tags and built a new shell from scratch. If you can rebuild your own car what would prevent you to cut the metal around the VIN tags of an existing car, and rebuild the rest of the shell with a Dynacorn one?
In my opinion taking the VIN from an old shell and placing it in a new one should be documented but if you can drive a car with an aftermarket engine why not doing the same with a reproduction body?
 A member from MustangAndMore contacted the Virginia DMW about this issue and here is what they told him:

--- Quote --- I just got off the phone with the Virginia DMV. According to Jamie, at 800-435-5137, if there is no "certificate of origin" issued for the replacement body, I am allowed under VA law to transfer the VIN to the replacement body. Once the work is complete, I can have a state inspector/investigator come out to verify the work complete. The local investigator for Virginia Beach is Cassandra Hardy at 757-455-0881.
--- End quote ---
There is also a couple interesting links in this discussion if you have time to read.
Link

Soaring:
Like Steve said, it depends on the state you are trying to register that car in, but in Texas, you won't register a kit car without going through the procedures I described.  It is a kit car, and noone can argue that it is not.  Whether it is made out of metal, plastic or paper, it is not an original Mustang body, and not an original registered car. In order to register a new kit car, you have to follow my guidelines as stated by the DMV rules in Texas.  Bottom line, it depends on which state you are trying to register it.  But, in Texas, it will be considered a Kit car. 
As far as changing the VIN from one car to another, that is illegal anywhere in the United States.  That also includes the idiots in Virginia.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version