Author Topic: REAL Wood Steering Wheel on '65 & '66 GT  (Read 9162 times)

FASTBACK65GT

• I buy H.O. Slot Cars!
    • Phil's '65 Mustang GT
  • Mustang: 1965 Mustang Fastback GT
  • Daily driver: Ranger 4.0; 4.10; 4x4 is my daily driver.
REAL Wood Steering Wheel on '65 & '66 GT
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:02:37 PM »
Hey I found a REAL wood Deluxe steering wheel for my '65 Mustang.  I had one on my old red car and liked it much better than the plastic fake wood ones that are factory.  YES, apparently in the 80-90's you could send your Deluxe wheel with it's cracked plastic steering wheel and have it replaced with REAL wood (I think walnut).  Dallas Mustang I'm told did the conversions.  They no longer do that and it's been 10 years since they've done it.  Good Luck finding one!
Check out my car website and hopefully I will spend the time during my 2010 Christmas break and install it. 

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1967 convertible
  • Daily driver: 2011 Chev Silverado Dura Max 4X4
Re: REAL Wood Steering Wheel on '65 & '66 GT
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
Hey,

this has nothing to do with your steering wheel, but I was told by a parts house that Aussies were buying up American classics in droves. I read where you sold one to an Australian just curious what you know about this?

Also I am a Camaro fan big time as well, formally owned a couple nice 1st and 2nd gen. cars.

Jeff

rmodel65

• Global Moderator
  • the mustang man
  • Mustang: 65 fastback modded
  • Daily driver: 1991 gt vert
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »
there are companies that refurnish the OEM plastic wheels and use wood instead

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »
Yep, just like you can get an OEM "style" wood steering wheel from Sacramento Mustang for instance.  http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/sm/steering_wheel/steering_wheel.shtml

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 12:38:25 AM »
That's a beautiful interior ya got there

FASTBACK65GT

• I buy H.O. Slot Cars!
    • Phil's '65 Mustang GT
  • Mustang: 1965 Mustang Fastback GT
  • Daily driver: Ranger 4.0; 4.10; 4x4 is my daily driver.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »
<<Yep, just like you can get an OEM "style" wood steering wheel from Sacramento Mustang>>
As usual, you don't know what you're talking about...Their factory look GT wheel is plastic too.  Sure they make other custom wood wheels, but not the Deluxe GT wheels that I have.  The repair places for those wheels only repair the plastic ones as well.  I have not found a repair place with real wood replacement steering wheels on the GTs...since the 90's.

As far as the Aussies buying up fastbacks, it was true last fall as well as the Europeans.  After I sold my red car I went looking for fastbacks again and could not find anything for under $30K.  They were all sold.  I talked with a dealer in FL that told me the ports are so jammed with fastbacks that they don't know when they are going to get their cars.  Fastbacks are now worth more than convertibles, and converts have always ruled.  But, since last fall, the Euro and Aussie dollars have tumbled, and ours isn't worth a lot either, so from what I can tell that was a short time event as ebay is loaded with tons of nice fastbacks not bringing more than $20K.  Money is tight here.

I have a Grant wood wheel now, but can't wait to install my REAL wood DELUXE GT wheel again.

I did find what I was looking for - a black with red interior fastback, 4-speed car later last fall and that's my current project car.  I need to setup my link so you can see it. 

Havin' Fun!

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu