Author Topic: New Project  (Read 1982 times)

burk17

• I've always wanted a Mustang
  • Mustang: 1966 Coupe
New Project
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »
I'm starting a new project. A 1966 Mustang, I want it to be a good driver on a budget. It's got the Ford wander so I've looked over the steering assembly. It seems the steering box will need replaced. It's been a long time since I've driven something with manual brakes and steering. Can I upgrade to disk brakes without going to power? What is a good fit? Will it help much? It was a 3 speed car, the previous owner installed a C4 w/shift kit and rachet shifter. Has any one installed a stock shifter or one that is close on this setup?

My son wants me to put a shaker hood scoop on it. I've never seen one on a 66, is it possible?

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »
Im not sure what your "budget" would include but there is a great disc conversion kit i found, comes with everything its all 4 wheels, you can install the kit and drive it that day without buying anything else. It is kind of expensive though, i just wanted to point it out to show you some options.

http://www.superiormustangparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=frontrearbrakeconversion

As for the shaker hood ive only seen that on 69-70 but i guess its possible? I dont know for sure though. Good luck

burk17

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »
Being a newbie, I just searched the site and found a lot on a Granada conversion. But will manual disks be that much of a inprovement over drums?

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
I would suggest going the power disc route, but even with disc over drums i guess you would still feel an improvement.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »
These little cars are so light, you would be wasting money on a power brake set-up.  Just swap to disks and you will notice an improvement in braking power.  I recommend Dennis Ginsberg's swap kit.  It includes absolutely everything you need, and I believe he is still in the $600 neighborhood.  It is an excellent kit at a decent price.  http://www.discbrakeswap.com/

As far as the steering box is concerned they are a bitch to change to a new one like a flaming river box because there is no rag joint.  You have to remove the entire steering column and replace the entire steering column.  The first thing you should do is try to tighten the old one.  Look at the top of the box, and you have a bolt sticking up with a notch that you can fit a screwdriver in.  Turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then loosen the nut and turn that notched bolt with a screwdriver until it bottoms out, then back off just a tad, then tighten the nut up. 
As far as the suspension is concerned, look at the top of this Classic section and you will notice a FAQ section.  Go there and look up "suspension," there is a ton of information there.

burk17

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:49:56 PM »
I stopped at 2 junk yards on the way home and all the Granadas have been shredded.The kit sounds doable. I tried to adjust the steering box but I was told to start on dead center. I will try it the other way tonight. Thanks for the help

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »
The problem with the Granada swap is you are starting out with junk parts that have to be refurbished and you won't have all the parts needed for the swap.  Going with new parts and a kit that has everything you will need is the smartest thing to do. 

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version