Author Topic: Exhaust set up suggestions  (Read 7532 times)

kurtwp

• Mustang: 1972 Mach I
Exhaust set up suggestions
« on: September 16, 2009, 09:07:46 PM »
I have a 72 Mach I with a 302. The car is stock original right down to the orange splotches on the back of the rims.  The only mod I did was to remove the single exhaust and replace with a dual exhaust via Midas about 15 years ago.  The duals are true duals with no cross pipe.  The pipes size I believe is either 2” or 2.25” with stock mufflers. 
To me the sound increase from single to dual exhaust is fine.  However, my wife has mentioned during the last 13 years or so that it needs to be louder and have more of a rumble.  I am finally getting around to it because my wife recently purchased a motorcycle that has a better rumble and louder sound than my Mustang. 

The guideline I am going to follow (or try to follow) is as follows:

Keep the original exhaust manifolds, the pipes from the manifold to the mufflers, and no need for a cross pipe.  The car is more show than go.   

With that in mind, one thought is to replace the mufflers with glasspacks with the same size in/out let diameters of the pipes.   My next thought is to use Flowmaster 40 series mufflers with 2.5” in/out lets.  I would come into the 40’s with the smaller pipe and then replace the back with 2.5”.   My third, fourth, fifth, etc I’ll leave up to the people on this forum that have more experience in the science of exhaust configurations.

Thanks to everyone, in advance, for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

Kurt   

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Exhaust set up suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
First of all, welcome to the site.  Is this your car, or your wife's?  ;D
If you are wanting a louder muffler, then the 40 series will definitely give  you that.  I put Ravins on mine and love the rumble without the loud raspy sounds emitted by the 40 series.  You can go to the FAQ section of the Classic section and listen to several muffler applications, then make your choice. 

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:27:22 AM »
Yeah if you want the rumble put 2 Super 44's Flowmaster mufflers on there and you should be good to go.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1967 convertible
  • Daily driver: 2011 Chev Silverado Dura Max 4X4
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
I just put on my 67' 289 a 2.25" dual H system with stainless Magna Flow mufflers keeping the stock exhaust manifolds. The car sounds great has that throaty V8 sound without the rappy glass-pack sound. The complete system cost including removing the stock single system was $400.00, I am pleased with the results and the job the local shop did.

jhutch

• 69 Mach I - 351W 4BBL
  • Mustang: 1969 Mach I 351W
  • Daily driver: E350 4x4 Van
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:41:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this group as I just registered.  I'm also looking for similar information: I have a 69 Mach I with a 351W and have just bought a set of ceramic coated Hedman full length headers (HED-88866) in Summit's Fall 09 Catalog.  After reading lots of posts and listening to various videos on YouTube I'm thinking on going with a set of MagnaFlow stainless mufflers (MPE-14319 or 329) and I'll be putting a complete stainless exhaust on as well.  I'm wondering if I can fit 3" pipes under the car and if I'll need offset or center outlets on the mufflers.  Based on the pictures above (thanks Jeff!) it looks like I'll need the offset (although that's apparently a 67 based on your screen-name).  The 3" exhaust all the way back would probably give a deeper sound and flow more freely - but I don't know if they'd clear going up and over the rear end.  Can anyone advise?

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »
a dual 3" exhaust will probably not scavenge effectively and will reduce your power production.  Exhaust pulses are timed 90 degrees apart and as they go through the collector into the exhaust, the restriction makes them speed up and then they pull the next pulse through.  v-8's can't quite get all 4 cylinders on one side to scavenge at the right time, typically the rear two cylinders are out of sync (that's why crossover pipes work so well) 

If you go out through a pipe the same size as the header collector, you'll lose the scavenging effect.

jhutch

• 69 Mach I - 351W 4BBL
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Thanks Jeff, well explained.  I also just spoke to the guy who rebuilt the engine a few years back and he recommended avoiding the 3" pipes behind the collectors as well - though without the explanation.  Appreciate the reply!

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
It is counter intuitive, but it is essentially the same principle involved in not using an over sized carb.

Think of it as taking a water hose that is on and covering half the opening and watching the pressure change cause the water to shoot much further.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
Sometimes bigger ain't better.  At least that is what she said.   ;D

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
Stick with 2.25 or 2.5" max coming from your collectors into your mufflers and out the back, will be most efficient and will sound great, I used a stainless Magna Flow system and am pleased with it.

Jeff

Tim175

• Mustang: 1971 Mach 1
  • Daily driver: 2001 F-250 Lariat 7.3 PSD
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 01:02:18 AM »
A buddy of mine has a 72 El Camino and he put some 3" pipes on it with 50 series flowmaster mufflers. I kept trying to talk him out of it but he wouldn't listen. Spent all the money to have them installed, and he didn't like the sound or the performance. He got a good "I told ya so" once it was all said and done.

jhutch

• 69 Mach I - 351W 4BBL
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 10:15:36 PM »
Just got the car back this week with the Hedman headers and 2.25" MagnaFlow stainless exhaust.  Sounds great!  I especially like the sound at idle and just off idle.  There's a little bit of resonance at 40-45mph, but only when there's load on the engine - so it's over quick and not very noticeable.  I was pleasantly surprised at the apparent increase in horsepower; the responsiveness from idle is really improved - no hesitation or bogging at all - which was somewhat of a problem previously (with 650 Holley and 2" dual exhaust through a single double-through muffler).  I didn't want an over-the-top sound -- ala glass-packs  -- and this is just to my liking.  You can turn heads when you want to by stomping on it, but the internal sound isn't deafening at highway speeds.  One drawback that I'll have to look into fixing somehow is a limited left-turning radius.  I noticed it immediately, but haven't yet had the chance to check it out in detail.

Now I have the previous 2" stainless system (from stock manifolds back to the stock tips - including H-pipe) available if anyone's interested.  Would be a bear to ship unless I cut it first.  It has a brand-new stock muffler (not stainless) as of a month ago since I needed it to pass inspection and keep driving.

I have "before" videos (with sound) with the 2" exhaust and will be taking the "after" videos tomorrow for comparison.

John

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 03:45:16 PM »
Appears to be close to the same system (except for headers) I had installed on my 67' convertible ! Hopefully you will enjoy the results as much as I do.

Jeff

jhutch

• 69 Mach I - 351W 4BBL
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
Short update after day-long ride in central PA mountains...
With windows closed (was getting cold last night in Mtns!) and going about 45mph - there's a distinct "helicopter rotor" sound that's a bit annoying - only while accelerating or while engine's under load.  It disappears around 50-55mph.  With windows closed and at highway speed it's going to be tough to listen to a radio unless you have it up loud.  I wouldn't want to drive cross-country with these mufflers, but otherwise I like their sound except for the previously mentioned resonance.  Since the mufflers clamp into the system I may play around with different models to see what the differences are - but it's getting a bit late in the driving season for Pennsylvania so that may have to wait until next year.

kurtwp

• Mustang: 1972 Mach I
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »
After 19 years I finally replaced my stock 2” Meineke mufflers with 2.5” Flowmasters Super 40s.  I kept the 2” pipes in place from the manifolds to the supers and put 2.5” down turns that stop just before the rear axle.   The wife is very happy with the sound and so are the kids.  You can find a recording of the new exhaust system here: 
72 Mustang Duals 40s series 2.5" (no H or X)

Kurt

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu