Forum > Classic Mustang Technical forum

emergency brake assembly for 1971-1973 mustang

(1/3) > >>

Jeff73Mach1:
Mine is no longer locking when i try to engage the brake.  as my car is a 4 speed this creates a bit of an issue at times.

I vaguely remember my 72 doing the same thing 20 years ago and I think I was able to fix it, but I can't remember how.

Are there any guides for either repair or is there a replacement assembly available?  I doubt it would be hard to make another year part work and the 1970 is available, but I don't want to rig it if I can possibly do it right.

Thanks again for any help

Soaring:
Jeff, on my 65 there is an adjustment screw on the "Y" that is in the neighborhood of the transmission that has a nut you can turn to tighten up the cable.  If that doesn't fix it, then you may need to replace the shoes on the rear. 

Jeff73Mach1:
this problem is with the pedal assembly it pops out after being engaged as if the ratchet inside is bad.

Soaring:
Yeah, I had that problem too, so just replace the assembly all the way from the handle (foot pedal) to the "Y"  Mine is a pull handle, but basically the same principal.

Jeff73Mach1:
My first car was a 72 Maverick with the pull handle and I still think that they are the coolest.

I can find the 1970 pedal assembly, but not the 71-73.  I guess i'll keep looking

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version