Author Topic: Coil Problems  (Read 8429 times)

trbleman

• Mustang: 1966 Coup
Coil Problems
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »
I decided to tune my 66 mustang 289 because it was not running very smooth. I put new points, condenser, wires, cap, rotor and spark plugs. I started it up and it still did not run good. It sounded like some of the cylinders were not firing 100%. I checked the coil and it was week, so I bought a new one. The new one is slightly different. Instead of the post being marked with Dist, and Batt, it is marked with a - and + mark. I put the dist wire on the - side and the batt side to the + side. Now the motor has no spark at all.
Did I do something wrong?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Coil Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
The (+) side goes to the battery, and the (-) side goes to the coil.  Check your connections carefully.  If you can't get a spark, put your old coil back on and see if she starts.  If so, then take that bad coil back and get another one. 

champion2211

• Falcon's Heaven
  • Mustang: 65 Falcon
  • Daily driver: yes, trying
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »
I am having the same problem now. I have went back and replaced everyting and the ballast wire has been bypassed with a ballast resistor mounted on the fire wall. The + wire is going to the + side of the coil and the - wire goes to ground. The + wire from the points goes to the + side of the coil. All internal and external parts are new. New points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, coil, and with all this still no fire. Champion2211

trbleman

• Mustang: 1966 Coup
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »
Problem solved!! I replaced the wire that goes from dist. to coil and there was no change. Decided to check the other wire and noticed that previous owner spliced that wire but it came apart. It was buried under a mound of black tape so it was not visible. The coil was fine.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »
I am having the same problem now. I have went back and replaced everyting and the ballast wire has been bypassed with a ballast resistor mounted on the fire wall. The + wire is going to the + side of the coil and the - wire goes to ground. The + wire from the points goes to the + side of the coil. All internal and external parts are new. New points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, coil, and with all this still no fire. Champion2211
The (-) side of the coil goes to the points, not the (+) side.  The (+) plus side of the coil goes to the battery. 

champion2211

• Falcon's Heaven
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
Makes sense. I will try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks. Tom

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
Tom,
You say you got it started and running.  But, you say you are having some rough running problems at high speeds.  That can be caused by several things.  One.....when was the last time you changed your gasoline?  If you have stored that pony for a long time, you will get bad gas feeding the engine, and most likely water in it which will cause rough running at high speeds.  Second......you may be getting some vacuum leakage.  Check all your hoses and gaskets, especially the one under the carb and intake manifold and the vacuum advance hose feeding the distributor.   At idle, spray some starting fluid around the intake manifold gasket and the carb gasket and see if the enging picks up some RPM.  If it does then that gasket is leaking and needs replacement. Third.....it may just need to be blown out.  Take it for a long drive on the weekend and blow that sucker out.   ;D Take MaMa with you so she can enjoy getting whistled at by the guys who are whistling at your classic.  I love a cruise on a Sunday afternoon in June. 
4th.  Those old points system engines have an easily cure for that outdated ignition system.  I put the Ignitor Pertronix system on mine and it made a tremendous difference in the performance of the engine.  Consider it.  It will cost you less than 80 Bux. 

champion2211

• Falcon's Heaven
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
After having time to run it some it did sound like a vacuum leak to me also. I checked the hoses and they are ok. I made sure the choke was all the way open.  I couldn't run it over 2 grand with out it shaking horribly so I shut it off. Then the carb itself started to leak around the butterfly shaft onto the manifold. I am getting too much gas. I had just filled it up a couple of weeks ago while out. It was running ok then.  Then all of a sudden it just stopped in the driveway so I let it slide back down it into the car port. I am not sure whether it is something wrong with the carb or the fuel pump is pumping too much pressure. This one says the pressure is 7 psi or less.  I will try the stock one and let you know. Tom

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
It's time to overhaul and adjust that carb.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version