Author Topic: Changing Manifold  (Read 12914 times)

65vertstang

• Mustang: 1965 Convertible
Re: Changing Manifold
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »
Thanks Jeff73Mach1, it sounds like maybe there is just to much coolant. With the car running and thermostat open the coolant level is only about 1 inch below the neck, and there is no overheating problem just a coolant puking problem. And whenever it overflows I refill it. And my boss also told me to up the pressure on the radiator cap but the parts guy at my local auto parts store said that could cause the heater core or radiator hoses to burst. Any thoughts on that would be appretiated.

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
While it is true that our systems are designed to run at 13 pounds of pressure, if the hoses are in good shape, that is to say replaced in the last 5-10 years, they are good for the 16 pounds of pressure.  The heater core is an area of some risk.  If it has never been changed it may push it over the edge.  If it has never been changed it may fail at any point in time.  If I were running a 40 plus year old car with the original heater core I would change it.  If it were not my daily driver I would at least unhook it and bypass it until I could change it.

if the heater core has been replaced and is in decent condition, a 16 pound cap shouldn't hurt it.

and finally there is the radiator . . . shops pressure test them well above 16 pounds with no ill effect.  If the condition is marginal, stay with the 13 pound cap and save your money for a new one.  If the condition is good 16 pounds should be tolerated well.

In 30 years of hotrodding, I have changed every thermostat to 16 pounds or higher and have had many friends do the same.  I've heard the cautions, but never seen it develop into anything, but then again I've always maintained my cooling systems with good hoses and flushes every few years and good coolant.

Topless_Horse

• Mustang: 66 convertible
  • Daily driver: Ram 2500 Cummins
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Have you overfilled your radiator?  Most of them are happy with coolant just covering the tops of the fins when the engine and coolant are cold.  If you have much more than that in the radiator they are prone to puking it out.

65vertstang

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
After reading Jeff73Mach1 and your posts I am thinking thats the problem. I will drain some coolant and let you know what happens.

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
If it cools properly, just let it puke until it stops and check the level cold every few days.  It should reach it's balance point pretty quick in this weather

Here was my cheap ass solution

65vertstang

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:19 PM »
Well I am now thinking its the radiator itself. When I drained some coolant out this afternoon it started coming out at a trickle and slowed to a dribble. And after trying to drive it I still had the puking problem and it got hot, so I am thinking radiator problem. I guess I will have to take it out and get it looked at. Man summer is going to be over before i get this thing fixed :(

65vertstang

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
Well, I have fixed it. Stupid lower radiator hose. It's running pretty good but I still need to tune it. Gets a little sputtery at high RPM's, not sure if its the timing or the fuel and not being a mechanic I just kinds guess till it works better but it's gotten to dark to play with it tonight. I will update when it's all tuned.

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »
Was the old hose collapsings? The lower one should have a spring on it to keep that from happening. . . .  8)

65vertstang

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30:41 AM »
Yes the lower hose was collapsing. It did have the spring in it but it was way off to the engine end of the hose so when I reached down to check the hose I felt that it was in there although the rest of the hose was still collapsing. All taken care of now. Still having issues tuning the new Edlebrock carb, runs great under normal conditions but if you accelerate any more than easy it stumbles and seems like its flooding. Already went 2 stages leaner but didn't seem to make much difference. Also is hard starting when fully warmed up.

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
stumble may be lean not rich, have you looked at your plugs to confirm?

You may need to play with the metering rod springs to get the proper fuel flow as you go thru your operating range.  Is the rpm of the engine sort of consistent with where it stumbles, or is it just when you give it gas?

65vertstang

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »
The stumble is only when accellerating hard from a dead stop. If driven normally it seems to run great. It will also sputter in park when just reving the engine, there is no stumble or hesitation even under hard accelleration when already moving. I can't imagine that it's to lean considering the engine is otherwise stock, also I already went down 2 stages on the jets and needles and it really made no difference. I don't seem to have any vacum leaks so I don't think it's vacum related, unless maybe the distributor vacum advance isn't working properly.

Topless_Horse

• Mustang: 66 convertible
  • Daily driver: Ram 2500 Cummins
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 09:01:27 AM »
Have you played with the accelerator pump and linkage?  Are the float levels set properly?  Have you tried plugging your vacuum advance and just trying with the mechanical advance?  Are you running the vacuum advance from the correct port on the carb (should be the one with no vacuum at idle)?

Jeff73Mach1

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »
f the floats are set too high, excessive fuel can slosh out of the bowls and into the vent tubes causing the engine to stumble.

65vertstang

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 11:55:34 PM »
Well it's running better all the time, I have gone 2 stages leaner on the needeles and jets and changed the step up springs to the black one's but I think I need to change to the orange. I also noticed that the distributor seems to be at least a 1970 unit as it has the modulator, but none of the other emission stuff as it's in a 65. The vacum port is capped off on the modulator but I am wondering if this distributor will work properly or if I should find an older model without the modulator or even one with a mechanical advance.

65vertstang

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
Well I tried but can't seem to get it running good on my own, I think I am going to have to take it to a professional and see what they can do for me. I'll keep you posted.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1967 convertible
  • Daily driver: 2011 Chev Silverado Dura Max 4X4
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »
Please do. This upgrade is on my "to do" list.

Jeff

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
Did you ever get your new set up dialed in correctly?

JJ

65vertstang

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:25 AM »
Curently still at the shop. Turns out the accellerator pump in the remanufactured carb was bad, hopfully will be done tomarrow. I will let you know.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 08:44:18 AM »
The Edlebrock 1406 you purchased was a re-man?

65vertstang

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
Yes

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring