Author Topic: Changing Manifold  (Read 12685 times)

65vertstang

• Mustang: 1965 Convertible
Changing Manifold
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
I am in the proccess of changing my stock two barrel to an Edlebrock performer intake and carb and in the old manifold there is a sensor of some sort at the middle front of the stock manifold. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what that might be. Also I thought I had a 289 but when I removed the stock manifold there was a 302 stamped in the valley between the heads, is this a 302?

BlackShadow

• Mustang: 1965 Mustang 2+2
  • Daily driver: Ford f350 powerstroke 4x4
Re: Changing Manifold
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:25:34 AM »
Are you asking about the Temp sender in front just behind the distributor on the right side, and yes it sounds like you have a 302 block.

65vertstang

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:09:21 PM »
Yes, in the center front of manifold just behind distributor. Temp Sending unit, thanks.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
  • Mustang: 1967 convertible
  • Daily driver: 2011 Chev Silverado Dura Max 4X4
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
By converting from a 2 bbl to 4 bbl and new intake how much of a power increase should there be?

JJ

65vertstang

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »
Not really sure about that, the engine is all stock aside from the new manifold and carb but I hope to change that soon.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
Keep us posted on how it goes

65vertstang

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:23 PM »
Will do.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
I may do the same on my 67' and want to know how yours turns out?

Thanks

JJ

Joe AZ 2 PA

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
I am in the proccess of changing my stock two barrel to an Edlebrock performer intake and carb and in the old manifold there is a sensor of some sort at the middle front of the stock manifold. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what that might be. Also I thought I had a 289 but when I removed the stock manifold there was a 302 stamped in the valley between the heads, is this a 302?

Check the Edlebrock website and call tech support. They should be able to tell you what the gains will be since this is a common upgrade. . . .  8)

65vertstang

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 11:58:56 PM »
Manifold update, its running but not until after finally getting the vacum hoses in the right place. It seems to run pretty hard but have'nt had much of a chance to test it. I was trying it out and noticed that every time I got on it antifreeze would blow out of the radiator cap, have a feeling that I have the thermostat in backwards. DAMMIT!

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
Keep at it and when you are able to romp on it let me know, it's my next upgrade!

JJ

65vertstang

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:39:49 PM »
Well I checked the thermostat and it was installed correctly I then tested it and it seems to operate good so I don't know why the coolant is blowing out of the radiator when I romp on it. I was wondering if it could be an air bubble in the system maybe. It was getting hot and when I removed the upper radiator hose to check the thermostat no coolant came out. Also when I removed the thermostat housing there was coolant present but not enough to pour out when the housing was removed. Also there seems to be alot of metal in the top of the radiator both magnetic and not.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »
When I got my 67' one of my first projects was a radiator check/flush and and repair, could be a clogged system. You might have your cooling system checked out first along with a new thermostat installed. Then if that does not solve your problem;

When the car is cold take the  radiator cap off and start the car. With the engine running if you notice bubbles coming up inside of the radiator you will need to have those gasses checked, If they are combustion gasses could be a weak or blown head gasket.

65vertstang

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
Well I am glad to report that the new carb and manifold are working very well. It seems to have quite a bit more power all the way from the bottom end on up judging by the seat of the pants test, witch is the only one I have. I am still having a slight problem with coolant coming out of the overfolw but only under full throttle, not sure whats going on there but i hope to figure that out. Here is a before and after of the engine.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
Very cool, A job well done. When transferring the vacuum hoses, brackets and other components over from old to new was the new designed to make the transfer easy, or did you have to modify much to make the changes?

JJ

65vertstang

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »
It was pretty straight forward, vacum hoses and such were easy to hook up to new carb. The only bracket I used off the old manifold was for the throttle return spring. I am still having a problem with coolant blowing out of the radiator cap and overflow when iI get on it at all.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
Have you had your radiator flushed, and installed a new cap and thermostat? That may help. Also do you mind passing on the carb, manifold part numbers, I am sure they are the same applications my car will need.

Also, what town in WA are you in? I am just south in Bend, Or.

Thanks
Jeff

65vertstang

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 11:13:38 PM »
Has new 13lb cap and 180 degree thermostat but I don"t know when the last time the radiator was flushed. It worked fine before the change but there is a substantial increase in power, could that make a difference? The carb is an Edlebrock Performer 1406 and the intake an Edlebrock Performer 289. Made a huge difference the more I drive it. I just told my local parts guy what I was doing and he recommended that setup. I live just south of Tumwater.

Jeff1967

• Photo contest winner
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »
Thank you for the information, I may look into a set up for my car. Not sure why you are having the radiator issue, maybe someone on the site can help? In the mean time I will ask a motor head I know locally and get his take on the problem.

Jeff

Jeff73Mach1

• Mustang: 1973 Mach 1
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
More power generates more heat, you may just have exceeded your systems capacity.

Another simple possibility is that you have too much coolant in the system and it is just venting the excess.  A lot of folks fill the system up and wait for the thermostat to open and fill it some more, which isn't wrong, but if your system is open and circulating and full, the coolant will expand as it heats and have to go somewhere.

With the engine running and the radiator open let the care reach the point that the thermostat opens.  fill to 2 -3 inches below the top of the radiator core.  That is enough coolant, more and it will overflow.

Change to a 16 pound cap, it raises the boiling point and will help reduce any overheating issues.

If those simple and cheap measures don't get you back to a properly performing cooling system, then either upgrade the water pump to a high volume pump, or upgrade to a larger aluminum radiator or better yet do both.

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version