Author Topic: Can't start my 65  (Read 2605 times)

Paco27

• Mustang: 1965 289 Coupe
  • Daily driver: 2007 F-150 King Ranch
Can't start my 65
« on: August 26, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
I've had a 65 289 Coupe for about 4 years that has given me very little problems since I bought it.  Had some electrical issues last summer when I wired in a stereo amplifier, and ended up sourcing to a bad alternator and a poor connection with my voltage regulator.  After all that I thought all was good as it started up fine and got my 14.4 volts to the battery.  Didn't touch it for several weeks after that and it hasn't started ever since.  Starter cranks no problem (although I have to use a booster battery - new battery is on the shopping list once I get it running again).  Checked my plugs and I am getting spark although I would not classify it as a "strong blue spark".  Same with the lead from the coil to the distributor.  It sparks but not super strong.  I changed my plugs last night and still no go.  Just looking for some help before I go buy a new coil and/or distributor cap.  Outside chance my carb has varnished up?  It's a summer car only and I haven't put a lot of miles on it over the last 2 summers, mostly because of my alternator issues last year, and my not starting issues this summer.  Never really had starting issues before.  I'm kind of learning as I go, so any help is appreciated.  Thx.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
  • 1965 Mustang coupe 289, '03 Mach1, 03 Lariat
  • Mustang: 1965 coupe 289, and 2003 Mach1
  • Daily driver: '03 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Can't start my 65
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:30:50 PM »
If it has been sitting for two years, you most likely have bad gas.  Try  using some starter fluid to see if you can get it to fire.  If it does, then I'd overhaul the carb and drain the old gas and put in about 5 gallons of fresh gas with a new fuel filter.  I drive 'Ol Yeller a few miles each week to keep this from happening. 

Paco27

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Gas is old but did put stabilizer in it when I topped it up last fall.  Where do you pour the starter fluid?  In the carb?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »
Yeah, take off the air filter and spray the starter fluid directly into the venturi of the carburetor.  You do this when someone else is trying to start the car from the driver's seat, and the battery is full, and the cranking amps really spin the starter. 

Paco27

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
Just thought I would let you know that the engine fires with the starter spray but just as quickly stalls as the spray gets consumed.  Just bought a siphon tube and will be replacing the gas as the next step.  Assuming it is bad gas, I suppose I will need to blow the gas from the gas line as well?

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:11:49 AM »
My '65 coupe has a drain plug on the bottom of the tank on the passenger side.  Yours should too.  I used to work overseas and would let my 65 sit for 10 months out of the year, and got along pretty well leaving it with a full tank of gas along with "Stabil", but after a few years, the gas finally turned into varnish.  Now  that I'm back in the states and retired, I drive mine at least once a week, if not but a few miles and keep the tank topped off with fresh gas as often as I can think about it.  So far, mine starts and runs like a scared rabbit. 
Yes, blow out the lines and change the gas filter. Also make sure the fuel pump is getting sufficient gas to the carb.  If not, then the pump may have gone south.  Take the line off at the carburetor and have someone try to start it while you observe just how much gas is coming through the line to the carb.
Let us know how it turns out. 

Paco27

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:06:06 AM »
It does have a drain plug, but I thought I could have a hell of a mess trying to get the plug back in if I have more than 5 gallons of gas in there (which I should).  At least by siphoning, I can control it.  Stupid question, but any ideas on what to do with the bad gas?

I can't really drive it in our Alberta winters, but every fall I top the tank up and add fuel stabilizer.  Thought that should do the trick but looks like it finally caught up with me.

Also an update on starting.  I poured some water treatment in the tank the other day when trying the start fluid.  Before attempting to drain the gas I tried to start it again last night with the starter fluid and after a couple of attempts it fired up and kept running.  I let it idle (with some revs) for approx 5 minutes and thought all was good but I should take it for a short drive just to get everything warmed up and cleaned out.  Just as I dropped the hood and went to get in......it stalled again, and I wasn't able to get it going again.  Draining the gas next and filling with premium.  Thanks for all your help and will keep you posted.  Great site with a lot of info.

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
Yeah, during the winter season condensation tends to build up in the gas tank, and gas and water don't mix.  I used a 5 gallon gas can to drain the old gas into, and since I lived on a farm I simply poured it out into a 55 gallon barrel and set it on fire.  You may just want to set it out in the air and let it evaporate.  Use the drain plug. 

Paco27

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »
Yay!  Fresh gas and got er running last night.  Couldn't be happier.  Looking forward to giving her a good wash and cruising over the long weekend.  Thanks for all your help Soaring. ;D

Soaring

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
Great! Now drive that sucker on a long trip to get everything oiled up and greased up again.  Take your tool box with you.   ;D

+-Navigation

Other languages
ESPANOL
FRANCAIS
Soaring
Soaring
In memory of our moderator Glen Wren AKA Soaring
1943-2011
Links

Dallas Mustang

Menu
LO-FI Version